Newbe

Old Aug 11th 2017, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Neil_blocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbe

Hello, I've only joined today. Progressing with a job role in south carol in a. I'm guessing my story is a little different in that I already have US citizenship, born on a US Base in England with US passport and social security number. However it does not detract from the fact that living in the UK most of my life I will need help and advice via you guys, experienced in a move across the pond. What are the first things I need to consider (I have a partner and child) what about relocation packages etc any info would be great
Old Aug 11th 2017, 6:45 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbe

Welcome to the forum.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 6:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Neil, welcome to BE.

I recommend that you ask your questions in the USA forum, otherwise the moderators will come along and frown as us. ..... I am just north of where you're heading, in NC.

BTW Please take a moment to review the BE site rules, at the righthand end of the yellowish menu bar above.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 11th 2017 at 7:31 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 7:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Neil and welcome to BE

You're most welcome to post your questions in the forums set aside for all things American --- from immigrating to living to just ranting and raving about it not being England. You can start here: USA - British Expats

You mention the term "partner" as opposed to spouse. The US does not have a common-law visa but does have a spousal visa in the form of an immediate relative visa. If you are part of a gay couple, please note that is not an issue. As long as the marriage took place in an area that recognizes the marriage as legally binding, it is fully acceptable by the USCIS.

You said you are negotiating an employment contract. Please note that a visa for your spouse and your child (assume you are not eligible to pass on US Citizenship as you don't mention that the child's is a USC and you may not have lived in the US for the required number of years before and after the age of 14 to qualify to pass citizenship on) can take up to 8 months.

All these things can be discussed with you in the US forum's immigration marriage-based visa section.

See you there.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 7:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Hi Neil and welcome to BE

You're most welcome to post your questions in the forums set aside for all things American --- from immigrating to living to just ranting and raving about it not being England. You can start here: USA - British Expats

You mention the term "partner" as opposed to spouse. The US does not have a common-law visa but does have a spousal visa in the form of an immediate relative visa. If you are part of a gay couple, please note that is not an issue. As long as the marriage took place in an area that recognizes the marriage as legally binding, it is fully acceptable by the USCIS.

You said you are negotiating an employment contract. .....
Ahem! "Somebody" cautioned us just yesterday about giving out advice in the Welcome Inn!
Old Aug 11th 2017, 7:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Ahem! "Somebody" cautioned us just yesterday about giving out advice in the Welcome Inn!
You know, I was thinking just that when I was But then it wasn't advice really just conversation. I have diarrhea of the mouth today
Old Aug 11th 2017, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
.... But then it wasn't advice really just conversation. ....
I shall remember that and might use it myself.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the intro, starting my research into the move (hopefully) you will start to see my posts on the relevant pages. Wish there was someone you could go to to sort it all out for us - value my time a little
Old Aug 11th 2017, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Neil_blocker
Thank you for the intro, starting my research into the move (hopefully) you will start to see my posts on the relevant pages. Wish there was someone you could go to to sort it all out for us - value my time a little
Well with the wealth of knowledge here on BE, we should be able to help you cut through the weeds and get things taken care of fairly efficiently.

As Rete said, "by way of conversation" above, if you are not married to your "partner" that is something you will need to take care of before she can be eligible for a family visa.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 11th 2017 at 7:55 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

Well with the wealth of knowledge here on BE, we should be able to help you cut through the weeds and get things taken care of fairly efficiently.

As Rete said, "by way of conversation" above, if you are not married to your "partner" that is something you will need to take care of before she can be eligible for a family visa.
That is something she would encourage herself - I'd rather spend the wedding money on moving to the US
Old Aug 11th 2017, 8:02 pm

.... - I'd rather spend the wedding money on moving to the US
Without her?
Old Aug 11th 2017, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Without her?
Need to be careful here - she can read my posts!
Of course with her and the little one
Old Aug 11th 2017, 8:20 pm

Need to be careful here - she can read my posts!
Of course with her and the little one. ....
Well may I be the first to congratulate you on your up-coming nuptials!