Hi there

Old Feb 12th 2018, 4:17 am
Just Joined

House sitter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi there

I've joined this forum in the hope someone can guide me through the minefield of claiming my old age pension later this year.

What should be straightforward is definitely not when you are a nomad traveling around the world.

The wife and I moved to NZ about 10years ago but decided it was not for us. But rather than return to the UK, we began an adventure as house sitters, caring for peoples' homes and pets whilst they go on holiday. We are in high demand and often booked a year ahead. It's an unusual lifestyle but one that suits us...even though we don't get paid for doing it. Next year we plan to house sit around America, Canada and Europe. Hence the query about pensions as the savings won't last forever. I will now post on the appropriate page. Thanks for reading.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 10:17 am
Just Joined

amy23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hi there

Originally Posted by House sitter
I've joined this forum in the hope someone can guide me through the minefield of claiming my old age pension later this year.

What should be straightforward is definitely not when you are a nomad traveling around the world.

The wife and I moved to NZ about 10years ago but decided it was not for us. But rather than return to the UK, we began an adventure as house sitters, caring for peoples' homes and pets whilst they go on holiday. We are in high demand and often booked a year ahead. It's an unusual lifestyle but one that suits us...even though we don't get paid for doing it. Next year we plan to house sit around America, Canada and Europe. Hence the query about pensions as the savings won't last forever. I will now post on the appropriate page. Thanks for reading.
Hello,

Thank you for sharing this, I never heard of "House sitters" this is the first time, and it seems really interesting. So thank you sor sharing this, I learned something new...Hope you are enjoying travelling around !
Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

House sitter is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Amy for your welcome. Yes house sitting is becoming more and more popular, especially with retirees, and there are many house sitting sites around the world. It's still a bit of a novelty in Asia but occasionally you can find one in India or Thailand. China and Singapore are also catching on. Once a house owner finds a good sitter, they hang on to them and re-book which is why we are often booked a year ahead. If you are an animal lover and respectful of other people's homes, it's a great way to travel the world. Having said that some owners don't have pets and they do it for security and to ensure the garden is kept watered. However the pension bit might prove an obstacle to doing it full time like we do. I hope not as we are planning for America and Canada next before heading to Europe. We are currently on the Gold Coast in Australia.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 1:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Good morning and welcome to BE

I see that you have already been posting so I'll point out that we have a small set of site rules that we would like for you to read. It can be found here: Site Rules | British Expatriate Community

You mention housesitting in the US and I do have to tell you that it might not be at all possible. First is how long you need to be in the US. You are only able to enter the US for 90 days and it is recommended that you leave the US before the 89 day in order to prevent an overstay which would result in future denial of using the VWP. Then there is the issue of whether housesitting is considered work. Even though you would not be paid, you will be compensated by having a place to live for x number of days.

I strongly suggest that you have a go of our USA forum found here: USA - British Expats

You might always want to double check in the Canada forums about the same issue in Canada. Canada - British Expats

Good luck with your research.

Rita