Hi there

Old Feb 4th 2010, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

moonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant future
Default Hi there

Hi everyone, I have been looking at this site for the last year or so, finally decided to join up, it's been a real pleasure reading the posts ... I've been in Australia (Canberra) since my parents emigrated in 1983. Am looking forward to joining in the discussions.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 2:32 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi there

Originally Posted by moonsurfer
Hi everyone, I have been looking at this site for the last year or so, finally decided to join up, it's been a real pleasure reading the posts ... I've been in Australia (Canberra) since my parents emigrated in 1983. Am looking forward to joining in the discussions.
Hi Moonsurfer,

Welcome to BE.

Tell us a little about yourself. How old were you when you moved? Are you enjoying Canberra?

I'm in the USA - North Carolina to be precise. It's a nice place to bring up kids, although not the most cosmopolitan place, but its certainly a laid back life. Generally we have nice hot, steamy summers and mild winters, but someone forgot to tell Mother Nature, because its been a very cold, wet, snowy winter so far. I hope spring doesn't take too long coming.

So anyway I've rambled on a bit haven't I. So I'll hand it over to you now

Sue

PS Don't forget to visit our Australia forum if you have done so yet.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

moonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant future

Hi Sue and everyone, thank you! I know very little about the USA so it's good to hear your thoughts. I've been here in Canberra on and off for about 27 years, having come over when I was 18 from Oxford. I have also lived in Sydney, Wollongong and Perth. Canberra is at the moment going through a very hot spell - we have just had (I think) the driest January in 25 years and the second hottest in 70 years. The landscape is rather dusty and yellow at the moment as you can imagine, although there's been a sprinkling of rain this morning.

I have been considering over the last few years whether or not to make the move back to the UK as I still really miss it, yes after all this time! I last went back in 2006 and was tempted to stay. Canberra is a wonderful place if you have a young family, you will fall very quickly into a community and there are excellent facilities and activities for kids and families, lots of sports clubs, etc. However, as I'm a single person and getting that bit older, am not sure I want to spend my 'old age' here! Have been thinking of going on a long holiday later this year to have a look at the job market, whether or not I could find a job is really the only thing that stops me. Have noticed many people on here have done it when they are that bit older, which makes me think I can too.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 12:50 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you are looking to participate in our Moving Back to the UK forum then

In some ways moving back to the UK is more daunting than the initial move abroad. Especially if you have lived away for a long time. We've got many members who are making the move back, some have only been abroad a few months, some (like yourself) many, many years. And the all have lots of questions about jobs, housing, best places to live etc.

So pop over to the Moving back forum and dig in. You will be among kindred spirits there