Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hi from South Africa

Hi from South Africa

Old Aug 23rd 2017, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

PeterJ338 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I qualify for descent British citizenship

Hi all, I have been reading some of the comments on this site and it is really useful. Both my parents were born in the U.K. and I was born in South Africa. My father is still alive and living in the U.K. We are looking at immigrating to the U.K. Myself, wife and son currently have South African passports. Myself and my son qualify for British passports (can I get British citizenship). I will appreciate any advice.

Last edited by PeterJ338; Aug 23rd 2017 at 6:04 pm. Reason: Not sure how the site works.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 9:08 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I qualify for descent British citizenship

Originally Posted by PeterJ338
Hi all, I have been reading some of the comments on this site and it is really useful. Both my parents were born in the U.K. and I was born in South Africa. My father is still alive and living in the U.K. We are looking at immigrating to the U.K. Myself, wife and son currently have South African passports. Myself and my son qualify for British passports (can I get British citizenship). I will appreciate any advice.
Welcome to BE.

Please take a few moments to have a read of the site rules, beige bar at the top, and, should you have any site related problems please contact one of the moderators, names in bold at the bottom right of the forum page.

From what you have posted you and your son are already British Citizens and you should apply for you passports. Please have a read of posts and stickies here for more information about moving your family to the UK.

Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) - British Expats
Old Aug 24th 2017, 10:45 am
Just Joined

PeterJ338 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hi from South Africa

Thank you. I'm new to this site and hopefully I will get use to it. So if my son and I get British passports do we automatically qualify as a British citizen? Thanks
Old Aug 24th 2017, 1:09 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. I'm new to this site and hopefully I will get use to it. So if my son and I get British passports do we automatically qualify as a British citizen? Thanks
You will get your passports BECAUSE you are British Citizens because both of you parents were British Citizens, you would therefore be a British Citizen other than by descent, and therefore your son will be a British Citizen by descent, at least that is how I read it. I may be wrong, but I'm sure that BiP will be along soon to give the definitive answer.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I qualify for descent British citizenship

If YOU were born in South Africa of British parents, then YOU are British by descent.

YOU can obtain a British passport and you are British by birth but you son cannot as British by descent persons cannot pass on British citizenship to their offspring - you can however register or apply for British citizenship for your son once you have fulfilled certain residency requirements in the UK.

So to return to the UK YOU will have to sponsor your wife and son.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

As a British Citizen by descent, all the OP will need to do is to apply for a British passport. Please see link below for details -

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Does your South African wife got a grandparent born in the UK? If so, she can apply for an UK Ancestry visa. Please see link below for details -

https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa/overview