Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hi new to calgary!

Hi new to calgary!

Old Oct 26th 2010, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

JennyT is just really niceJennyT is just really niceJennyT is just really niceJennyT is just really niceJennyT is just really niceJennyT is just really niceJennyT is just really niceJennyT is just really nice
Default Re: Hi new to calgary!

Hi Jules, thanks again for the info, think we will wait till we come over to buy our cozy clothes!! Yeah I have been looking online at renting somewhere, but all the places i like are pretty expensive.
Hubby also said we may consider buying somewhere. Think we will rent when we initially come over and see how it goes. Is the shopping over there not too good? Should i stock up on my clothes (an excuse to go shopping! )

Do the kids start school age 6? My little boy was going to be starting primary school next August, when he is 5, but have read somewhere that they dont start until they are 6.

Jenny
Old Oct 26th 2010, 8:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JennyT
Hi Jules, thanks again for the info, think we will wait till we come over to buy our cozy clothes!! Yeah I have been looking online at renting somewhere, but all the places i like are pretty expensive.
Hubby also said we may consider buying somewhere. Think we will rent when we initially come over and see how it goes. Is the shopping over there not too good? Should i stock up on my clothes (an excuse to go shopping! )

Do the kids start school age 6? My little boy was going to be starting primary school next August, when he is 5, but have read somewhere that they dont start until they are 6.

Jenny
Jenny it would be best is you re-posted your questions in our Canada forums rather in the Introduction Section of the site. I think you'll also receive more input from people who are living in Canada or the Calgary area. Thank you.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

JennyT is just really niceJennyT is just really niceJennyT is just really niceJennyT is just really niceJennyT is just really niceJennyT is just really niceJennyT is just really niceJennyT is just really nice

ok thanks , i will do
Old Oct 26th 2010, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

jules777 is just really nicejules777 is just really nicejules777 is just really nicejules777 is just really nicejules777 is just really nicejules777 is just really nicejules777 is just really nicejules777 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yeah I meant not to go out and buy extra warm gear in the UK...they must have stuff that will put them on for a while.

I know just what you mean about the malls. I have a long very thick sheepskin leather coat...it is so warm I can only wear it on brutally cold days. It's far too heavy to take off and carry...it's like carrying another person around.
then you start trying to stuff it gently into one of the shopping bags and get even hotter trying!!!
my daughter took her lovely coat off the other day and put it in a trolley its a gorgeous coat i bought it in the uk to bring out in case it got cold and someone actually came along, picked it up and wanted to know where i had picked it up from as she wanted one!!! its not quite warm enough for the winter here tho, think i might buy a little jacket of some sort just until my clothes come over
Old Oct 27th 2010, 12:02 am
Just Joined

jules777 is just really nicejules777 is just really nicejules777 is just really nicejules777 is just really nicejules777 is just really nicejules777 is just really nicejules777 is just really nicejules777 is just really nice

Originally Posted by jules777
then you start trying to stuff it gently into one of the shopping bags and get even hotter trying!!!
my daughter took her lovely coat off the other day and put it in a trolley its a gorgeous coat i bought it in the uk to bring out in case it got cold and someone actually came along, picked it up and wanted to know where i had picked it up from as she wanted one!!! its not quite warm enough for the winter here tho, think i might buy a little jacket of some sort just until my clothes come over
oh just one thing car rental is extortionate over here isnt it? just got well and truly fleeced as i got a stone chip on the hire car wow i am usually very laid back but boy did they make my blood boil today, had to go myself as my hubby has gone back to the uk for a week to sort out houses etc and finish some work, need to take out a mortgage on the car it cost more than the apartment!!! i will be glad when we can buy our own sorry just venting am a happy bunny really
Old Oct 27th 2010, 12:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JennyT

Jenny
ooops sorry i missed this one, am still quite new tho I know they start school in Oz at six but am pretty sure there is a kindergarten ? i know they start earlier in the school i have my daughter in! maybe best to ask the canada forum that one! We are now looking at houses to buy and they are gorgeous, but be prepared to put down a deposit when you put in an offer it takes only a matter of a few weeks over here as opposed to months in the UK, we have a great realtor who has shown us some great houses but we found one on a house open day whilst looking around an area.
And hey any excuse to go shopping no good asking me if you need to go shopping because i will always say yes i am very bad and should be kept away from all shops hehe i will try to sort out my private message thingummy! But you can get lots of help on here and i am very happy to answer any too.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 12:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

ooops sorry i missed this one, am still quite new tho I know they start school in Oz at six but am pretty sure there is a kindergarten ? i know they start earlier in the school i have my daughter in! maybe best to ask the canada forum that one! We are now looking at houses to buy and they are gorgeous, but be prepared to put down a deposit when you put in an offer it takes only a matter of a few weeks over here as opposed to months in the UK, we have a great realtor who has shown us some great houses but we found one on a house open day whilst looking around an area.
And hey any excuse to go shopping no good asking me if you need to go shopping because i will always say yes i am very bad and should be kept away from all shops hehe i will try to sort out my private message thingummy! But you can get lots of help on here and i am very happy to answer any too.
Top right hand side of this page...click on 'Private Messages'....next page...go over to the left hand side and click on 'Compose Message'. From there you can type out your PM and send it.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 12:48 am
Just Joined

Top right hand side of this page...click on 'Private Messages'....next page...go over to the left hand side and click on 'Compose Message'. From there you can type out your PM and send it.
yeah you are good
Old Oct 27th 2010, 12:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

yeah you are good
Let me know if you have a problem reading inward bound messages. The number in the top left hand corner will change from O to whatever number of messages are received.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 12:58 am
Just Joined

Let me know if you have a problem reading inward bound messages. The number in the top left hand corner will change from O to whatever number of messages are received.
aw thanks you are soooo lovely