British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Hi new to calgary! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/hi-new-calgary-690964/)

jules777 Oct 25th 2010 7:13 pm

Hi new to calgary!

Hello
We have been here a month now and would like to say hello, i must say i am only just getting used to driving on the left hand side of the car and the other side of the road!!! have now stopped thanking people with my left hand and smacking my hand on the door when going for the handbrake!!:ohmy:
Have found loads of very usefull info on this site already so thanks for that :thumbup:
jules

JennyT Oct 25th 2010 8:27 pm

Re: Hi new to calgary!

Hi Jules, my husband has just got a job in Calgary starting Jan/Feb! Bit shocked/scared and excited. R u enjoying it out there? Where are you from? We are from Aberdeen with 2 boys, one is 2 and the other is 4.
I just joined this expats thing today.
Jenny

Jerseygirl Oct 25th 2010 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by jules777 (Post 8941559)
Hello
We have been here a month now and would like to say hello, i must say i am only just getting used to driving on the left hand side of the car and the other side of the road!!! have now stopped thanking people with my left hand and smacking my hand on the door when going for the handbrake!!:ohmy:
Have found loads of very usefull info on this site already so thanks for that :thumbup:
jules

Hello and welcome to BE. :)

If you click here it will take you directly to the main index page of the Canada Forum. Also take a look in the BE Wiki...you'll find loads of information in there.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid and The Aviator are concierges for the Canada forums...they will act as your tour guides and guide you around the forums.

For any other problems please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa...although any mod or admin will be pleased to help you.

Please give me a shout if you need any help. :)

jules777 Oct 25th 2010 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by JennyT (Post 8941683)
Hi Jules, my husband has just got a job in Calgary starting Jan/Feb! Bit shocked/scared and excited. R u enjoying it out there? Where are you from? We are from Aberdeen with 2 boys, one is 2 and the other is 4.
Jenny

Hi Jenny
Make sure you bring plenty of money :) as at first all you seem to do is spend!or go to a local sports shop at home and get kitted out for proper snow gear i mean to cope with -20 it will be very cold when you get here !
It is beautiful up around the mountains, the scenery is stunning when i visited i saw 2 bears which just amazed me!! but since i have been here i have seen none not even from a distance :thumbsup: the people are friendly but once in their cars can like everyone become little demons lol. It took us a while to get our visa and i got my working visa at the airport when we came in! my daughter is 8 and she loves it here, it has been 20c(might not seem hot but you are not near the sea so feels very hot!) up until last week and now the temp is dropping.
Please Keep in touch with me and i am happy for you to ask any questions, this site has been great for info and you can allways learn from my mistakes :D got to go pick up my little girl so speak soon:fingerscrossed:good luck with everything:thumbsup:

jules777 Oct 25th 2010 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8941699)
Hello and welcome to BE. :)

If you click here it will take you directly to the main index page of the Canada Forum. Also take a look in the BE Wiki...you'll find loads of information in there.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid and The Aviator are concierges for the Canada forums...they will act as your tour guides and guide you around the forums.

For any other problems please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa...although any mod or admin will be pleased to help you.

Please give me a shout if you need any help. :)

Thats great thank you :)

jules777 Oct 25th 2010 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by JennyT (Post 8941683)
Jenny

oh before i go i forgot to answer some of your questions, Yes we are enjoying it out here so far, my husband worked in a london hospital but we lived in cornwall! for the last 2 years before that we lived in southampton. I have a daughter aged 8 years who is loving it here. shame you are not here for halloween its a bit like christmas at home!!! bet your 4 yr old would love it. Don't be scared life is an adventure and just too short:thumbsup:its snowing now and i am off to get my daughter

JennyT Oct 25th 2010 8:53 pm

Hi Jules,

Thank you very much, will definately keep in touch. Not looking forward to the cold but Im sure the summer will make up for it. Did u find it difficult finding somewhere to stay? Jenny :)

Jerseygirl Oct 25th 2010 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by JennyT (Post 8941739)
Hi Jules,

Thank you very much, will definately keep in touch. Not looking forward to the cold but Im sure the summer will make up for it. Did u find it difficult finding somewhere to stay? Jenny :)

My daughter lives in Toronto...after the first winter or two she soon got used to the cold temperatures. When we go to visit I'll be all wrapped up in my long sheepskin coat, Uggs, gloves and scarf...she'll wear a jacket. :eek:

Check with the folk in the Canada forums...you may be best to wait and buy much of your winter stuff in Canada as it's made for the Canadian climate.

Sue Oct 26th 2010 1:35 am

Hi Jules,

I am not in Canada but I wanted to pop by and say hi. I hope you are finding your way around ok. I'm sure you will enjoy using BE and getting to know everyone. We've got a great bunch of members here.

Aviator Oct 26th 2010 4:25 pm

Welcome to BE.

jules777 Oct 26th 2010 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by The Aviator (Post 8943563)
Welcome to BE.

Thanks thats nice :)

jules777 Oct 26th 2010 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by JennyT (Post 8941739)
Hi Jules,

Hi Jenny, it was abit difficult at first it was our fault though as we tried online from the uk, to rent in the end we came out and stayed in an econolodge up on 16th street thenfound the school and then rented small apartment on 17th avenue, we are now looking to buy a house everybody is very helpful, just to let you know i popped into walmart after school yesterday to get my daughter a snow suit with some -50!!!!:eek:boots she was very excited the whole thing cost me less than $90 which i guess is around oooooh £60 so it may be worth your while waiting as jersey girl says as the uk clothes just won't be warm enough. There are snow flurries today and my daughter is getting excited:D It was a bit scarey just before i came out but its okay i have been here just over a month now and had not even realised apart from the fact that i would like to bring an M&s store over here :thumbsup:

jules777 Oct 26th 2010 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8941808)
My daughter lives in Toronto...after the first winter or two she soon got used to the cold temperatures. When we go to visit I'll be all wrapped up in my long sheepskin coat, Uggs, gloves and scarf...she'll wear a jacket. :eek:

Check with the folk in the Canada forums...you may be best to wait and buy much of your winter stuff in Canada as it's made for the Canadian climate.

You are absolutely right! about the clothes, i think it might be an idea to arrive with something very warm though if it is jan/feb when they arrive otherwise it could be a bit of a shock:eek: they can then rush down to the shops and buy some gear!
I was all wrapped up the other day and went into town in the indoor mall and i was roasting so ended up carrying loads of layers, i did feel a bit daft! all wrapped up while everyone walked past looking all cool:o

jules777 Oct 26th 2010 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 8942241)
Hi Jules,

I am not in Canada but I wanted to pop by and say hi. I hope you are finding your way around ok. I'm sure you will enjoy using BE and getting to know everyone. We've got a great bunch of members here.

Thanks thats great it is good to speak to someone and there are a lot of very helpful items on here, i am supposed to be writing my book but this is much more interesting ohmy:shouldnt say that or no-one will read it:D

Jerseygirl Oct 26th 2010 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by jules777 (Post 8943858)
You are absolutely right! about the clothes, i think it might be an idea to arrive with something very warm though if it is jan/feb when they arrive otherwise it could be a bit of a shock:eek: they can then rush down to the shops and buy some gear!
I was all wrapped up the other day and went into town in the indoor mall and i was roasting so ended up carrying loads of layers, i did feel a bit daft! all wrapped up while everyone walked past looking all cool:o

Yeah I meant not to go out and buy extra warm gear in the UK...they must have stuff that will put them on for a while.

I know just what you mean about the malls. I have a long very thick sheepskin leather coat...it is so warm I can only wear it on brutally cold days. It's far too heavy to take off and carry...it's like carrying another person around. :eek:

JennyT Oct 26th 2010 8:33 pm

Hi Jules, thanks again for the info, think we will wait till we come over to buy our cozy clothes!! Yeah I have been looking online at renting somewhere, but all the places i like are pretty expensive.
Hubby also said we may consider buying somewhere. Think we will rent when we initially come over and see how it goes. Is the shopping over there not too good? Should i stock up on my clothes (an excuse to go shopping! :thumbsup:)

Do the kids start school age 6? My little boy was going to be starting primary school next August, when he is 5, but have read somewhere that they dont start until they are 6.

Jenny :D

Jerseygirl Oct 26th 2010 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by JennyT (Post 8944083)
Hi Jules, thanks again for the info, think we will wait till we come over to buy our cozy clothes!! Yeah I have been looking online at renting somewhere, but all the places i like are pretty expensive.
Hubby also said we may consider buying somewhere. Think we will rent when we initially come over and see how it goes. Is the shopping over there not too good? Should i stock up on my clothes (an excuse to go shopping! :thumbsup:)

Do the kids start school age 6? My little boy was going to be starting primary school next August, when he is 5, but have read somewhere that they dont start until they are 6.

Jenny it would be best is you re-posted your questions in our Canada forums rather in the Introduction Section of the site. I think you'll also receive more input from people who are living in Canada or the Calgary area. Thank you. :)

JennyT Oct 26th 2010 8:52 pm

ok thanks , i will do :)

jules777 Oct 26th 2010 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8943941)
Yeah I meant not to go out and buy extra warm gear in the UK...they must have stuff that will put them on for a while.

I know just what you mean about the malls. I have a long very thick sheepskin leather coat...it is so warm I can only wear it on brutally cold days. It's far too heavy to take off and carry...it's like carrying another person around. :eek:

:lol: then you start trying to stuff it gently into one of the shopping bags and get even hotter trying!!!
my daughter took her lovely coat off the other day and put it in a trolley its a gorgeous coat i bought it in the uk to bring out in case it got cold and someone actually came along, picked it up and wanted to know where i had picked it up from as she wanted one!!! its not quite warm enough for the winter here tho, think i might buy a little jacket of some sort just until my clothes come over

jules777 Oct 27th 2010 12:02 am

Originally Posted by jules777 (Post 8944408)
:lol: then you start trying to stuff it gently into one of the shopping bags and get even hotter trying!!!
my daughter took her lovely coat off the other day and put it in a trolley its a gorgeous coat i bought it in the uk to bring out in case it got cold and someone actually came along, picked it up and wanted to know where i had picked it up from as she wanted one!!! its not quite warm enough for the winter here tho, think i might buy a little jacket of some sort just until my clothes come over

oh just one thing car rental is extortionate over here isnt it? just got well and truly fleeced as i got a stone chip on the hire car wow i am usually very laid back but boy did they make my blood boil today, had to go myself as my hubby has gone back to the uk for a week to sort out houses etc and finish some work, need to take out a mortgage on the car it cost more than the apartment!!! i will be glad when we can buy our own :thumbdown:sorry just venting :blink: am a happy bunny really:lol:

jules777 Oct 27th 2010 12:41 am

Originally Posted by JennyT (Post 8944083)

ooops sorry i missed this one,:) am still quite new tho:) I know they start school in Oz at six but am pretty sure there is a kindergarten ? i know they start earlier in the school i have my daughter in! maybe best to ask the canada forum that one! We are now looking at houses to buy and they are gorgeous, but be prepared to put down a deposit when you put in an offer it takes only a matter of a few weeks over here as opposed to months in the UK, we have a great realtor who has shown us some great houses but we found one on a house open day whilst looking around an area.
And hey any excuse to go shopping:thumbsup: no good asking me if you need to go shopping because i will always say yes :lol: i am very bad and should be kept away from all shops hehe:D i will try to sort out my private message thingummy! But you can get lots of help on here :thumbsup: and i am very happy to answer any too.

Jerseygirl Oct 27th 2010 12:46 am

Originally Posted by jules777 (Post 8944483)
ooops sorry i missed this one,:) am still quite new tho:) I know they start school in Oz at six but am pretty sure there is a kindergarten ? i know they start earlier in the school i have my daughter in! maybe best to ask the canada forum that one! We are now looking at houses to buy and they are gorgeous, but be prepared to put down a deposit when you put in an offer it takes only a matter of a few weeks over here as opposed to months in the UK, we have a great realtor who has shown us some great houses but we found one on a house open day whilst looking around an area.
And hey any excuse to go shopping:thumbsup: no good asking me if you need to go shopping because i will always say yes :lol: i am very bad and should be kept away from all shops hehe:D i will try to sort out my private message thingummy! But you can get lots of help on here :thumbsup: and i am very happy to answer any too.

Top right hand side of this page...click on 'Private Messages'....next page...go over to the left hand side and click on 'Compose Message'. From there you can type out your PM and send it.

jules777 Oct 27th 2010 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8944492)
Top right hand side of this page...click on 'Private Messages'....next page...go over to the left hand side and click on 'Compose Message'. From there you can type out your PM and send it.

:thumbsup: yeah you are good:thumbsup:

Jerseygirl Oct 27th 2010 12:52 am

Originally Posted by jules777 (Post 8944494)
:thumbsup: yeah you are good:thumbsup:

Let me know if you have a problem reading inward bound messages. The number in the top left hand corner will change from O to whatever number of messages are received.

jules777 Oct 27th 2010 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8944506)
Let me know if you have a problem reading inward bound messages. The number in the top left hand corner will change from O to whatever number of messages are received.

aw thanks you are soooo lovely:D