Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hi from Milton Keynes

Hi from Milton Keynes

Old Oct 17th 2011, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

oldfossil is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Hi from Milton Keynes

Hi Folks I have lived in Milton Keynes for sixteen years now.

I am hoping I may be able to lend a hand to anyone whom is looking at moving to the area from elsewhere.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 12:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi from Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by oldfossil
Hi Folks I have lived in Milton Keynes for sixteen years now.

I am hoping I may be able to lend a hand to anyone whom is looking at moving to the area from elsewhere.
Hello and welcome to BE.

Are you an ex-expat or have you yet to take the plunge? What brings you to the forums?
Old Oct 17th 2011, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Hi from Milton Keynes

What brings you to the forums?
As for looking to move abroad, in my younger days maybe.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:25 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

As for looking to move abroad, in my younger days maybe.
Well welcome to BE.

I've never been to Milton Keynes. After 16 years of living there what do you like most about it?
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

First of all the proximity to the main roads such as the A5 and M1.

Secondly it takes no longer than 20 minutes to get anywhere.

There are loads of open parks and woodland for dog walking. In fact a bicycle is also a must for discovering things you wouldn't normally see from the main roads.

History too.

Despite Milton Keynes itself starting in 1967 there is loads of history in fact the name of the town was taken from Milton Keynes village.

Every streetname has its own history too ie being named after a person, land etc.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Well welcome to BE.

I've never been to Milton Keynes. After 16 years of living there what do you like most about it?
Fake cows?
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Fake cows?
There is so much more to MK than the cows.

We are home to the MKDons too.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 1:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I've said about MK before on these boards.... People that live there generally really like it. It's the people that dont live there that knock it.

My Brother lives in Old Simpson Village, Less than 200 meters from the Church. he wouldn't move if he won the Lottery. He probably would buy a bigger house there though.

I love the Country walks around his place.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 1:32 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

There are loads of open parks and woodland for dog walking. In fact a bicycle is also a must for discovering things you wouldn't normally see from the main roads.
That sounds like my type of place, I love walking in woodland and parks and stuff, with or without my dog. I miss that here in the Charlotte (US). One can't wander around a farmers field or anything as it's private land, I have to pop in the car and drive to the nearest city park.

Sounds like you love living there
Old Oct 19th 2011, 1:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
One thing I've said about MK before on these boards.... People that live there generally really like it. It's the people that dont live there that knock it.

My Brother lives in Old Simpson Village, Less than 200 meters from the Church. he wouldn't move if he won the Lottery. He probably would buy a bigger house there though.

I love the Country walks around his place.
My cousin and his wife and kids moved there from Sheffield about 25 years ago...they wouldn't move back. I've never been to MK...just remember the news headlines years ago about the fake cows.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

We are home to the first Multiplex 10 screen cinema which was built in 1986 (The Point).

The town is now home to two multiplex cinemas.

Also Bletchley is home to Bletchley Park the home of the Enigma machine.

Wolverton was until recently the home of the Royal train.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My cousin and his wife and kids moved there from Sheffield about 25 years ago...they wouldn't move back. I've never been to MK...just remember the news headlines years ago about the fake cows.
I was personally quite impressed last time I went there. I think my Brother may well live in one of the best parts of MK though... so that probably helps.

Hated living there in 1976/77 .... I commuted to London everyday and its where I first left the family home. Back to London on my lonesome @ age 20.

I think I would consider living there now... only If I had to live in the UK though. I certainly dont plan or want to to live back in the UK again though.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We are home to the first Multiplex 10 screen cinema which was built in 1986 (The Point).

The town is now home to two multiplex cinemas.

Also Bletchley is home to Bletchley Park the home of the Enigma machine.

Wolverton was until recently the home of the Royal train.
I've done the late night walk from Wolverton Station to Stony (Galley Hill) quite a few times after the last train.

I think I'm correct in saying that railway yard wall was the longest brick wall in the UK at one stage.... especially back in the late 70's... before MK station was even built.

Old Oct 19th 2011, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

The one piece of information a lot of people don't realise is that the local council DO NOT maintain the parks or other green areas.

There is a local charity named The Parks Trust which owns various office and retail units.

This is how they make the cash necessary to look after the local woods, parks etc.

I forgot to mention one of our members used to live in Olney.

He now lives in Thailand.

Last edited by oldfossil; Oct 19th 2011 at 1:55 am.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The one piece of information a lot of people don't realise is that the local council DO NOT maintain the parks or other green areas.

There is a local charity named The Parks Trust which owns various office and retail units.

This is how they make the cash necessary to look after the local woods, parks etc.

I forgot to mention one of our members used to live in Olney.

He now lives in Thailand.
My father used to work on the Green spaces.... cutting grass and other tasks, when it was maintained by the Milton Keynes Development Corporation.