Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hi from the Maldives

Hi from the Maldives

Old Feb 5th 2011, 8:08 am
Just Joined

LauraPanda is just really niceLauraPanda is just really niceLauraPanda is just really niceLauraPanda is just really niceLauraPanda is just really niceLauraPanda is just really niceLauraPanda is just really niceLauraPanda is just really nice
Default Hi from the Maldives

Hi

New to the site and new to the ex-pat life! I graduated last summer, and I moved out to the Maldives a month ago to teach. Initially only until November, but who knows?

Laura
Old Feb 5th 2011, 12:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi from the Maldives

Originally Posted by LauraPanda
Hi

New to the site and new to the ex-pat life! I graduated last summer, and I moved out to the Maldives a month ago to teach. Initially only until November, but who knows?

Laura
Hello Laura...welcome to BE.

How nice to be living in the Maldives...do you want to stay there or move on to somewhere new?

I'm sorry we don't have a Maldives forum...the nearest one would be the Goa forum. Of course you may join in with any of the forums.

BE is a large expat website...so it's understandable that you may have problems finding your way around our many forums. We have a team of concierges who will direct you around the website. The concierge for the Goa forum is Dreadsoc...she will help you if you feel a little lost.

Problems and complaints should be addressed to a moderator. The mod for the Goa forum is Noni.

Please shout out if you need any further help. I hope you enjoy your stay with us.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 2:58 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Laura
Hi Laura,

Welcome to BE, so happy you have joined us.

Are you enjoying life in the Maldives? What made you move there?
Old Feb 6th 2011, 4:46 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Maldives - wow, that must be lovely. I've always thought of it as being part of Asia but it's kinda out there on its own, isn't it. Anyway, enjoy the forum. There's a few chit-chat sub-forums like The Sandpit in the Middle East section if you just want to chit-chat about something. I go in there sometimes though I am not in the Middle East.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:17 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi & welcome to BE ......hope you're enjoying the Maldives....what a fantastic location to find a job!!
Old Feb 6th 2011, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello & welcome to BE.

I'm sooooooooooooo jealous . I've always wanted to go to the Maldives.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 10:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Hello & welcome to BE.

I'm sooooooooooooo jealous . I've always wanted to go to the Maldives.
My sister's holidayed in the Maldives a couple of times...says it's the best holiday she's had.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 3:35 am
Just Joined

LauraPanda is just really niceLauraPanda is just really niceLauraPanda is just really niceLauraPanda is just really niceLauraPanda is just really niceLauraPanda is just really niceLauraPanda is just really niceLauraPanda is just really nice

Hi everyone! Thanks for such a kind welcome.

JerseyGirl, I'm not really sure. It is a little bit fishbowl-y here sometimes, and as much as I love it, I think I do want to go on to somewhere else. But of course that's always finances and job market dependent!

Sue, yep, I love it here, although teaching is a bit of a challenge. (I'm not qualified, although thinking of taking a PGCE in the future so getting a bit of experience! I've always wanted to live abroad, and the graduate job market at home is shocking, I was on the dole for 6 months, and this was actually the first job I got offered, so I bit their hand off.

bakedbean, yep. It doesn't feel very Asian a lot of the time, maybe because it's Islamic, although my knowledge of Asia is based on the British TV and a couple of visits to China, so I'm not really sure how accurate it is! lol Thanks for the tip on The Sandpit

Jerseygirl, Vitalstatistix, MnB. I wish it was like a resort! The locals really have no concept of the environment and their is rubbish everywhere, it makes me really sad. The lack of vodka/alcohol is a bit of a challenge sometimes as well. lol
Old Feb 7th 2011, 12:27 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone! Thanks for such a kind welcome.

JerseyGirl, I'm not really sure. It is a little bit fishbowl-y here sometimes, and as much as I love it, I think I do want to go on to somewhere else. But of course that's always finances and job market dependent!

Sue, yep, I love it here, although teaching is a bit of a challenge. (I'm not qualified, although thinking of taking a PGCE in the future so getting a bit of experience! I've always wanted to live abroad, and the graduate job market at home is shocking, I was on the dole for 6 months, and this was actually the first job I got offered, so I bit their hand off.

bakedbean, yep. It doesn't feel very Asian a lot of the time, maybe because it's Islamic, although my knowledge of Asia is based on the British TV and a couple of visits to China, so I'm not really sure how accurate it is! lol Thanks for the tip on The Sandpit

Jerseygirl, Vitalstatistix, MnB. I wish it was like a resort! The locals really have no concept of the environment and their is rubbish everywhere, it makes me really sad. The lack of vodka/alcohol is a bit of a challenge sometimes as well. lol
Well is sounds like you are enjoying your time there, and what an adventure it will be to look back on.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 7:53 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I've always wanted to live abroad, and the graduate job market at home is shocking, I was on the dole for 6 months, and this was actually the first job I got offered, so I bit their hand off.
At least you've got a job - that's a start, isn't it. I think the first few months in any country is daunting. So many changes and culture shock sometimes. Just give it a go, and if it doesn't work out, you can always look around some other places.

Vodka starved? Oh dear... that's a problem... heh heh. I hope it's not totally "dry" there. Muslim countries all very different - some stricter than others but, in my travel experience, all folks are just the same when you get to know them. You probably flew via Dubai? That's an interesting place to visit if you get the chance, and lots of expats there. Have fun.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

AndyPhelps is an unknown quantity at this point

Now that sounds a great place to move to