Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hi Interested moving Roscommon

Hi Interested moving Roscommon

Old Jul 24th 2010, 6:23 am
Just Joined

babs and berny is just really nicebabs and berny is just really nicebabs and berny is just really nicebabs and berny is just really nicebabs and berny is just really nicebabs and berny is just really nicebabs and berny is just really nicebabs and berny is just really nice
Red face Hi Interested moving Roscommon

Hello we are new to the forum. Berny and I are looking to relocate from UK to Ireland in the next 12 months and are interested in Roscommon county. We are looking for rural but not totally isolated would want access to a village within a few miles. We will not be able to fund the move in cash so plan to rent a cheap flat close to our work in the UK and take small mortgage out on property in Ireland using the Roscommon property as a second home and taking all our holiday in days around weekends so we can visit every 6-8 weeks or so. Berny is a bus driver so he will be able to use his shift pattern for extended stays. My disabled daughter and her partner who live with us will move over and house sit and maintain the land as we want between 2-3 acres for chickens,pigmy goats and alpacas plus poly tunnels and raised vegetable areas. We are looking to retiring in 5 years so it will take us 2-3 years to pay off the mortgage and then we want to get some savings behind us for the next couple of years. We don't mind the rain we love the people and country. Berny is looking to take up fishing (I think that is just to get away from me nagging him about the jobs I will want done) so the area will suit us fine.
Does anyone have ideas on nice areas - would appreciate any feedback
Thanks
Babs
Old Jul 24th 2010, 6:57 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi Interested moving Roscommon

Hi there Babs and Berny. I'm just saying hello to welcome you to B.E. I am in Australia. I'm sure there will be some Irish folks around here who can give you a hand, but they will be in different countries. I'll get some advice and see where best to point you.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 7:13 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Me again. We do have a Republic of Ireland forum (news to me!!). You can find it here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=88

If you could repost in there, I'm sure all those friendly people will lend a hand.

Alistair.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 7:15 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the Forum Babs, We have an excellent Republic of Ireland Section which would be the best place for you to start your research, So I suggest you head over have a read of some threads and ask a few questions, Mitzyboy is the Moderator over there so should you get any issues give him a shout.

Once again Welcome.

Originally Posted by babs and berny
Hello we are new to the forum. Berny and I are looking to relocate from UK to Ireland in the next 12 months and are interested in Roscommon county. We are looking for rural but not totally isolated would want access to a village within a few miles. We will not be able to fund the move in cash so plan to rent a cheap flat close to our work in the UK and take small mortgage out on property in Ireland using the Roscommon property as a second home and taking all our holiday in days around weekends so we can visit every 6-8 weeks or so. Berny is a bus driver so he will be able to use his shift pattern for extended stays. My disabled daughter and her partner who live with us will move over and house sit and maintain the land as we want between 2-3 acres for chickens,pigmy goats and alpacas plus poly tunnels and raised vegetable areas. We are looking to retiring in 5 years so it will take us 2-3 years to pay off the mortgage and then we want to get some savings behind us for the next couple of years. We don't mind the rain we love the people and country. Berny is looking to take up fishing (I think that is just to get away from me nagging him about the jobs I will want done) so the area will suit us fine.
Thanks
Babs
Old Jul 24th 2010, 7:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Me again. We do have a Republic of Ireland forum (news to me!!). You can find it here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=88

If you could repost in there, I'm sure all those friendly people will lend a hand.

Alistair.
You learn something every day round here!!

Thanks
Babs
The good news seems to be (from what I've read) that you shouldn't have any hassles living there as a UK citizen - lots of info on that in this thread- http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=665698
and for the lifestyle stuff, I'd ask in the Irish forum the other guys have given you the link too. Sounds like a good lifestyle - think I'd rather be there than stuck in Brisbane, and overall I prefer the Irish to Aussies anyday!

PS And welcome to BE
Old Jul 24th 2010, 1:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Babs
A very warm welcome to you and your family Babs.

We have had several new members during the last few weeks who want to move to Ireland. If you take a quick look down the index list for this forum you should come across them.

I see you've already been given the relevant links but should you have problems finding your way around the forums please contact one of our helpful concierges. You can find a list of our concierge's at the bottom right hand side of this forum's index page...their names are printed in standard font.

If you have any other problems or concerns please contact a moderator or admin. Ka Ora has provided you the link to Mitzyboy who is the mod for the Ireland forum if he's not around you can contact any mod or admin...there's usually only one of us around 24/7.

I hope you enjoy your time with us. If you have need any help please give me a shout.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 2:17 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Babs n Berny

Welcome to BE.

I would definitely echo the suggestion of you getting yourselves onto the Ireland forum, where I am sure you will receive lots of helpful information from those in the know.

Good luck with your adventure, it sounds like a great plan

Dread - x
Old Jul 25th 2010, 1:29 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi B&B and welcome to this forum from I&I (Ian and Irene)