British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Hi Guys, Any advice is welcome (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/hi-guys-any-advice-welcome-894060/)

Popo21 Mar 18th 2017 12:12 pm

Hi Guys, Any advice is welcome

Hi Folks,

I have been offered an opportunity to work in either Dallas or Melbourne. My wife and I are considering both options.
Could do with some advice on cost of living, health care and anything else that may be applicable.

Also my wife would have to find a job in either city, any advice on how we can work out what salary she could potentially earn.

Sorry for the very open post but we are really struggling on where best to start looking with this whole endeavor.

Thanks ;):rofl:

christmasoompa Mar 18th 2017 12:14 pm

Re: Hi Guys, Any advice is welcome

Hi, and welcome to BE.

If you post in both the Oz and US forums you'll get some great advice, and find lots of good threads to have a read of.

Is it a transfer with an existing employer? Just that if it's a new employer/job, then the visa you'd be on in the US might not allow your wife to work at all. But if you can give info on your US thread about the visa you'll be on, the forum pros can advise you on that. Is it the same salary in each place, or would it be adjusted for the local market? If you give a rough figure for the salary proposed it might help, as people living in Dallas or Melbourne will be able to advise on the kind of lifestyle you could afford on that salary.

And if you can let people know what your wife does, then if she is on a visa that allows her to work, they can give you info on her potential earnings and anything she'd need to do to be able to work in her profession. The more info you can give (your job, her job, visa, salary etc), the better the advice will be.

Best of luck with it.

:)

SanDiegogirl Mar 18th 2017 9:39 pm

What visa is the employer in Dallas obtaining for you?

Pollyana Mar 18th 2017 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Popo21 (Post 12207588)
Hi Folks,

I have been offered an opportunity to work in either Dallas or Melbourne. My wife and I are considering both options.
Could do with some advice on cost of living, health care and anything else that may be applicable.

Also my wife would have to find a job in either city, any advice on how we can work out what salary she could potentially earn.

Sorry for the very open post but we are really struggling on where best to start looking with this whole endeavor.

Thanks ;):rofl:

From what I know of US visas, not all of them allow the partner to work. Australian visas however all DO allow the partner to work. Worth checking that out for starters

No one can advise what salary your wfife could earn though, without knowing what she does for a living :)

Try the Australia forum for info on lifestyle, costs etc, plenty of info in there.

Pulaski Mar 18th 2017 11:47 pm

Also quite a lot of US jobs require some sort of qualification, registration, or licence, without which you can't get liability insurance, so that can greatly restrict your ability to arrive and immediately start work. ..... So what is your wife's occupation?

Dorothy Mar 19th 2017 12:53 am

Melbourne Australia or Melbourne Florida?