Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hi to everyone from a newbie to the site but an oldie in Australia

Hi to everyone from a newbie to the site but an oldie in Australia

Old Nov 22nd 2011, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

amazonwoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi to everyone from a newbie to the site but an oldie in Australia

Hi All, We've beeen in Perth WA for 23 years and had our ups and downs as everyone does. Our daughter who is 34 had never settled here and we are now thinking of going back to the UK for 12 months to see how we feel there. We are all struggling with the heat and after having a skin cancer removed from my face it seems silly to be hiding from the sun forever. I'm sure lots of people would think we are crazy, and maybe we areZ!
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 10:59 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi to everyone from a newbie to the site but an oldie in Australia

Originally Posted by amazonwoman
Hi All, We've beeen in Perth WA for 23 years and had our ups and downs as everyone does. Our daughter who is 34 had never settled here and we are now thinking of going back to the UK for 12 months to see how we feel there. We are all struggling with the heat and after having a skin cancer removed from my face it seems silly to be hiding from the sun forever. I'm sure lots of people would think we are crazy, and maybe we areZ!

Welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear about your health problem, but hope all is sorted now.

Have a look at our extensive Australian forum section wont you
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that. It feels like home already.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 11:58 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Amazonwoman

First of all welcome to BE.

Hopefully you are fully recovered now.

I would recommend you check out our 'Moving back to the UK' forum, where you will find lots of folks who are either in the process or have returned to the UK from living away. They can answer any questions you have and give you any tips and advice from their experiences. It may help to chat with like minded people. It will at least give you some idea of the UK at the current time.

Also you may want to check out our Australia forum, where you will find plenty of other expats from your neck of the woods to chat to. Also I am sure you will be able to offer lots of useful tips and advice to folks who have just moved to Oz.....
...and of course you can have some fun joining in and making new friends too. Be warned it can get addictive !!

You will find both of these forums by clicking on the 'Forum index' tab on the top left of this page. Scroll down the list of countries until you see th title of the forum you wish to visit, double click on the title and you're in.

If you find you need help navigating the site pop back here an I will do my best to assist.

Other than that I wish you all the very best with whatever you decide to do and I hope you enjoy our forums

Dread - x
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 12:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks dreadsoc,

It seems like a great forum to get info from on lots of things. I'm sure it will be very useful and help us make an informed decision on whether to stay or go back. And have some fun and make some new friends as well.

Looking forward to chatting to lots of you.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:03 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks dreadsoc,

It seems like a great forum to get info from on lots of things. I'm sure it will be very useful and help us make an informed decision on whether to stay or go back. And have some fun and make some new friends as well.

Looking forward to chatting to lots of you.

Go for it and have fun

Dread -x
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 3:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi...welcome to BE.

I think our Moving Back To The UK Forum will be of interest to you. Many of the people who post in the MBTTUK forums have lived overseas for many years but have either returned or wish to return home. We have a great crowd of very helpful and supportive members posting in the MBTTUK forums...if you post any questions you may have regarding the move home I'm sure you get some helpful replies. Also take a look in the BE Wiki.

As you have lived in Australia for so many years you may also be interested in taking a look at the Australia Forums.

We have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guides if you need help navigating your way through the many BE forums. You can find a list of our concierge's at the bottom right hand side of this forum's index page.
Any problems or concerns should be addressed to a moderator...you can find the mod's name at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index page. Moderators' names are in bold print and concierges' names are in standard print.

Please let me know if I can be of any further help. Good luck.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 4:37 am
Just Joined

Thanks Jerseygirl, lots of info that I'm sure will be really usefull.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 2:26 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the great advice, I'll take a look around.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Location: Suffolk England (hopefully one day Southern Hemisphere, but I do love the US)
njvg is just really nicenjvg is just really nicenjvg is just really nicenjvg is just really nicenjvg is just really nicenjvg is just really nicenjvg is just really nicenjvg is just really nice

Hi there...I'm a newby myself. Spent some time in your neck of the woods, Karyinyup (I think it was called) near freemantle. My brother also work in the gold mines: Kallgoolie...
Old Nov 24th 2011, 12:32 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by njvg
Hi there...I'm a newby myself. Spent some time in your neck of the woods, Karyinyup (I think it was called) near freemantle. My brother also work in the gold mines: Kallgoolie...
Is it true that you have to you through some kind of xray machine when you leave work at those mines, to ensure you arent carrying out some gold with you?
Old Nov 24th 2011, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Location: Suffolk England (hopefully one day Southern Hemisphere, but I do love the US)
njvg is just really nicenjvg is just really nicenjvg is just really nicenjvg is just really nicenjvg is just really nicenjvg is just really nicenjvg is just really nicenjvg is just really nice

It's possible...I'm not sure. I don't think he even saw much gold. He had quite a privileged job on the maintenance crew. When he first started he was always pleasantly surprized that every day, when driving back out the mine shaft, he was handed a crate of cold beers. He thought the company was just being nice and didn't realise he had signed some previous paperwork that ticked a box saying that's what he wanted at the end of each day and that it would come out his wages.