Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hi Everyone from Baku

Hi Everyone from Baku

Old Jan 21st 2012, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

oasisinau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi Everyone from Baku

We're Janet and Owen, we are British/RSA/Australian/British (roughly in that order of citizenship) and we were back in the UK for an extended holiday when we suddenly came to Baku. How we got here is still a mystery but we have been here since May last year.
We look forward to meeting people on the forum
Old Jan 24th 2012, 7:50 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi Everyone

Hi Janet and Owen,

Welcome to BE. I hope you enjoy being part of our little virtual community. How did you end up in Baku and what's it like there? Do you enjoy it?

I'm afraid I am not in as an exotic place as yourself. I'm in Charlotte North Carolina.

Baku is near the Caspian Sea isn't it?
Old Jan 24th 2012, 7:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi Everyone

Hi Janet & Owen & welcome to BE. You've certainly done some travelling around. The mystery for me is, where is Baku? I confess that I've never heard of it

Anyway happy posting & if you need any help with finding stuff on the site, please fire away
Old Jan 25th 2012, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

Default Baku, baku ... oh where are you

Thanks for the welcome moderators. This is the song (or a variation of it) I sing in the shower.
Baku is on the Caspian, its actually a hard place to talk about because I don't know if I like or dislike the place. It is oil rich and the gov is trying to diversify into other industries. They are also trying to modernise the place by knocking down awful soviet buildings and building new ones. So its a mixture of old and new. The foreshore is pretty, the city center is modern, some of the city vicinity is modern but the roads are awful. Driving is terrible.
Janet has joined the International Womans club so she gets out and meets people. They have outings and she has seen more of the countryside than I have.
We were just enjoying ourselves in the UK - away from the kids we left behind in Oz when I got an offer, I flew out and got a job. I am here until May or Dec. The factory is going through massive expansion so I have been asked to stay until Dec but who knows?
I joined the BE mainly to see what others were experiencing, possible taxation advice, I posted a job offer for someone to replace me so they will be with me until Dec, and I really enjoy the banter and jokes on BE. I should have joined 9 months ago when I first arrived.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 7:08 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi Everyone from Baku

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 25th 2012, 1:08 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baku, baku ... oh where are you

Wow, thanks. I've never ever been to any region around there, and to be honest probably never will. So it's great to read a first hand account like yours.

I'm so glad you are enjoying BE, I feel the banter found here is definitely top notch

Sue

Originally Posted by oasisinau
Thanks for the welcome moderators. This is the song (or a variation of it) I sing in the shower.
Baku is on the Caspian, its actually a hard place to talk about because I don't know if I like or dislike the place. It is oil rich and the gov is trying to diversify into other industries. They are also trying to modernise the place by knocking down awful soviet buildings and building new ones. So its a mixture of old and new. The foreshore is pretty, the city center is modern, some of the city vicinity is modern but the roads are awful. Driving is terrible.
Janet has joined the International Womans club so she gets out and meets people. They have outings and she has seen more of the countryside than I have.
We were just enjoying ourselves in the UK - away from the kids we left behind in Oz when I got an offer, I flew out and got a job. I am here until May or Dec. The factory is going through massive expansion so I have been asked to stay until Dec but who knows?
I joined the BE mainly to see what others were experiencing, possible taxation advice, I posted a job offer for someone to replace me so they will be with me until Dec, and I really enjoy the banter and jokes on BE. I should have joined 9 months ago when I first arrived.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 6:01 am
Just Joined

ryanp is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to you all, I am in Baku right now looking around at life considering a long term contract here and bringing my wife and 2 daughters (2 & 7), schools I have seen, property I have mixed thoughts about.....my biggest question is how is life for expats out of work environment? Is there a family social side and things to do? etc.
Any help for this would be fantastically helpful!
Ryan
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 6:14 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ryanp
Hi to you all, I am in Baku right now looking around at life considering a long term contract here and bringing my wife and 2 daughters (2 & 7), schools I have seen, property I have mixed thoughts about.....my biggest question is how is life for expats out of work environment? Is there a family social side and things to do? etc.
Any help for this would be fantastically helpful!
Ryan
Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 4th 2012, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Hi RyanP

We don't have children here so I cannot answer all you queries. Also we don't meet up with many expats either. Janet has joined the International Womans club and they are quite active - there are a lot of members in your situation and probably your age group with younger kids. BP has quite a large expat presence here as well.

Regards

Owen
Old Feb 4th 2012, 8:46 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Owen Janet and Ryan

Just wanted to say wecome to BE from me too.

Forgive my ignorance - where is Baku?

Dread - x
Old Feb 5th 2012, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Quite a good message - where is Baku??? Its precisely what I said when I got the job offer. The message I got back was these places are actually quite more advanced than one thinks. This is the case with Baku.
Its 5 hr flight from London, north of the Gulf and is on the Caspian sea. Approximately in that area.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 11:13 am
Still here!

hmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to behold

Hi