Hi Everyone!

Old Aug 10th 2017, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Godsie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi Everyone!

Hi Everyone! I have been reading the forum on & off for the last couple of years and felt it was time to join!

We are a family of 4 currently living in Kent and planning to move to Canada in 3 years time, waiting for the children to complete their GCSEs and A levels. Fortunately my husband was born in Toronto, though only lived there for 6 months and the children have their citizenship but I need to organise my sponsorship visa. We are all really keen to make the move but it is also such a big change with lots to organise and we are slowly collecting information. Currently we are thinking of the East Coast, trying to avoid excessive snowfall and humid summers!

Looking forward to making contact with you all.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 7:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi Everyone!

Hi there .... Welcome to BE

My apologies for not welcoming you sooner to our little expat world. You say your goal is to move to Canada in three years time. How exciting for you. The land of snow and ice, black flies and mosquitos. Sorry but there are many beautiful things about Canada, like its people, the diversified culture due to the large influx of immigrants, mountains and lakes and if you live on either end of the country either the Atlantic or Pacific Oceans.

My stepson and grandson live in Halifax and hubby was originally born in Montreal (not French but of Irish/English descent) who retired to Ottawa after 36 years in the RCAF. He has been transplanted to the southern coast of the US where he lives happily without cold and snow.

He and I have spent many vacations visiting the family in Halifax and touring the area on day and weekend trips. It is really quite lovely. But I will say the weather is humid in the summer and tons of snow in the winter and with hurricanes in the summer, as well.

Ideally, you should be looking at the Canadian forum found here: Canada - British Expats for the many questions and thoughts you have about finding an area to settle down to. Before you venture further into the world of the expat, would you kindly have a quick read of the site rules linked on the beige header above. It would be most appreciated.

Well, once again, welcome and good luck to you and the family on your future move.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Godsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for your welcome & thoughts on NS.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 7:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I've found over the years that anything on the coast has weather extremes. Funny but stepson's marriage took place one weekend and they had their photos done in a beautiful park and the following weekend the park was destroyed by a hurricane. Or he has put the snow shovel away in March only to get hit with 5 feet of snow a few days later.

We have the same type of weather on the eastern seaboard in the US.