Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

"hi everybody"

"hi everybody"

Old Nov 12th 2009, 10:44 am
Just Joined

tackleberry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "hi everybody"

hi all, my first post on here, like most people in the uk i know, we're fed up with the situation here with regards to work/money/weather & most important, "quality of life".
our discontent has been growing for a number of years, starting initially when we discovered our son had a low immune system following a bug when he was 12 weeks old , constant trips to docs & hospital with the dreaded chest infections, loads of time off school, hassle from the do gooder welfare services who harrass you to keep kids in school but do nothing for you or your child when their sick but you want them to get home tutoring until their fit to return to school (& don't even get me started about the bullying)
he's now 12 y.o. & his health has improved immensely over the last year.
RANT OVER !.
sorry bout that, but we've come to the decision that almost anywhere will be better than here so are now looking for possible destinations where english is widely spoken & a reasonable quality of life can be expected.
workwise i've worked within the building trade for some time, mainly in building maintainence (pretty much everything non-electrical), my wife is in training in beauty therapy & should be qualified in the near future.
where ever we move to my wifes parents will probably follow us, their retired & in their early seventies.
we recently travelled to cyprus on a "recce",i loved it, as did the wife but she wasn't convinced about living there, so possibly a longer trip planned their next year,maybe to live as "natives" as opposed to holidaymakers & see how we fare.
we also have family (2 sisters) in the usa, namely kansas city/mo, so we are considering the US as a possible destination, again planning a "recce" trip next year.
any other possible destination reccomendations & other advice would be greatly appreciated, i have started researching threads for advice etc but you can't beat the insight & wisdom of having been there & done it.

many thanks.........mark
Old Nov 12th 2009, 12:56 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "hi everybody"

Originally Posted by tackleberry
hi all, my first post on here, like most people in the uk i know, we're fed up with the situation here with regards to work/money/weather & most important, "quality of life".
our discontent has been growing for a number of years, starting initially when we discovered our son had a low immune system following a bug when he was 12 weeks old , constant trips to docs & hospital with the dreaded chest infections, loads of time off school, hassle from the do gooder welfare services who harrass you to keep kids in school but do nothing for you or your child when their sick but you want them to get home tutoring until their fit to return to school (& don't even get me started about the bullying)
RANT OVER !.
sorry bout that, but we've come to the decision that almost anywhere will be better than here so are now looking for possible destinations where english is widely spoken & a reasonable quality of life can be expected.
workwise i've worked within the building trade for some time, mainly in building maintainence (pretty much everything non-electrical), my wife is in training in beauty therapy & should be qualified in the near future.
where ever we move to my wifes parents will probably follow us, their retired & in their early seventies.
we recently travelled to cyprus on a "recce",i loved it, as did the wife but she wasn't convinced about living there, so possibly a longer trip planned their next year,maybe to live as "natives" as opposed to holidaymakers & see how we fare.
we also have family (2 sisters) in the usa, namely kansas city/mo, so we are considering the US as a possible destination, again planning a "recce" trip next year.
any other possible destination reccomendations & other advice would be greatly appreciated, i have started researching threads for advice etc but you can't beat the insight & wisdom of having been there & done it.

many thanks.........mark
Have you had a butchers in the USA Immigration section? The States can be an absolute bugger to get into so you might want to gen up before planning any serious recce.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 5:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

RANT OVER !.

many thanks.........mark
Hello and welcome to BE. Below is the link to the US forums...unfortunately if you have a sick child and elderly parents the US is probably not for you due to the healthcare system. Having a sibling sponsor you will probably take around 10 years.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 12th 2009 at 5:09 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

RANT OVER !.

many thanks.........mark
Welcome.

The other way of looking at it is that the health and social services took a lot of interest in your child and it didn't cost you anything. A little different from the USA.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Donna79 will become famous soon enoughDonna79 will become famous soon enough

RANT OVER !.

many thanks.........mark
Hi there!

I've just moved to Australia (Sydney area) and been here 3 months now. It's ok, I wouldn't say I loved it though but every one is different. Some people love it here and others hate it and go back home, it just depends on the kind of person you are and what you like. Other than the weather and living near to a major city, the quality of life is not that different here, and sometimes it's so hot that it's very uncomfortable.

Also, I've still not found employment in what I've studied to do (MSc Forensic Science) after 3 months. I was told that Australia were crying out for forensic scientists - and I thought I would have no trouble finding work in Sydney, but it's really a different matter. In the three months I've been here, I've seen one forensic type job which I applied for and never even got an interview.

On the subject of moving to the USA: it's true, it's difficult to get into but it is somewhat easier if you do have family living over there who are citizens. Personally, I would love to move to the USA, I always have done. Eleven years ago I went over there (Chicago, IL) to work on a one-year contract and I loved every second of it. I lived in a northern suburb of Chicago and ever since then, that's where I've wanted to be.

I wish you good luck and hope you find somewhere you will love.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 8:00 am
Just Joined

hi all, thanks for the replies so far.......i did spend a while on the us forum yesterday...........wasn't impressed with some of restrictions in place (such as having to prove you can do a job that no U.S. citizen can or will do) but i guess i should have expected it, my sis previously told me there was a big backlash going on in her area (ks/mo) with regards to the number of illegal workers coming up from mexico in to her area.
we're still gonna keep an open mind on possible destinations & we appreciate all feedback/info...........
Old Nov 13th 2009, 11:58 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Donna79
I lived in a northern suburb of Chicago and ever since then, that's where I've wanted to be.

I wish you good luck and hope you find somewhere you will love.
Good luck with that Donna!!
Old Nov 17th 2009, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Donna79 will become famous soon enoughDonna79 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Good luck with that Donna!!
Thanks! I'm going to try my best and get back there!
Old Nov 19th 2009, 8:42 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

you don't need to do the job thing if your sister sponsors you - BUT the wait for a visa is likely to be over 10 years!
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

hi MsElui, you'll have to exscuse me, im having a bit of trouble collating all the info on what visa's are suitable for our needs, if my sis sponser's us to come over, what visa would that require & what would that entitle me to do once in the us & awaiting the decision making process (6 months to 12 years )..........end of the day im just another regular guy with regular skills who wants to make a better life for the family.........jeez, when i say it like that i feel like im from a third world country
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 6:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

hi MsElui, you'll have to exscuse me, im having a bit of trouble collating all the info on what visa's are suitable for our needs, if my sis sponser's us to come over, what visa would that require & what would that entitle me to do once in the us & awaiting the decision making process (6 months to 12 years )..........end of the day im just another regular guy with regular skills who wants to make a better life for the family.........jeez, when i say it like that i feel like im from a third world country
Please post your immigration questions in the US Immigration forum the Jerseygirl linked for you.
A sibling-sponsored immigrant visa is the one you would get. It becomes Permanent Residency (green card) when you arrive in the US, but it will be many, many years before you get one. It's a very long line to wait in. You do not get to wait in the US during this time.