Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hi from Edmonton, AB

Hi from Edmonton, AB

Old Nov 5th 2010, 8:50 pm
Nicole

lightnfoot is just really nicelightnfoot is just really nicelightnfoot is just really nicelightnfoot is just really nicelightnfoot is just really nicelightnfoot is just really nicelightnfoot is just really nicelightnfoot is just really nice
Default Hi from Edmonton, AB

Hi everyone. I am a Canadian that married a fantastic man from England and are nearing the end (we hope) of the sponsorship. I have sponsored him and his sons (17 and 15) to move here and we just paid the Permanent Residence Fee. A friend of mine that is here on a work visa told me about his site and I thought it would be great to connect with other people that have gone through the process.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 9:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi from Edmonton, AB

Originally Posted by lightnfoot
Hi everyone. I am a Canadian that married a fantastic man from England and are nearing the end (we hope) of the sponsorship. I have sponsored him and his sons (17 and 15) to move here and we just paid the Permanent Residence Fee. A friend of mine that is here on a work visa told me about his site and I thought it would be great to connect with other people that have gone through the process.
Hi there and welcome to BE.

We have a fantastic group of people posting in our Canada forums and the regulars in the Canada Immigration Forum will help you with any questions about your husband and his son's immigration process.

If you click here it will take you directly to the main index page of the Canada Forum. At the top you will see a list of sub forums...the first one is the Immigration Forum...please post all questions regarding the immigration process there. The general forum is for topics related to Canada and the Maple Leaf forum is for general chit chat. Before you begin to post please read through all the sticky threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of the forum's index page. Also take a look in the BE Wiki...you'll find loads of information in there.

We also have a Youth Club Forum which is for teenagers only.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid and The Aviator are concierges for the Canada forums...they will act as your tour guides and guide you around the forums.

For any other problems please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa...although any mod or admin will be pleased to help you.

Please give me a shout if you need any help.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 9:34 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi lightnfoot ,

Welcome to BE and congratulations on your marriage. I hope you enjoy using BE, we've got a lively group on here and I'm sure you will have fun getting to know everyone.

Jerseygirl has given you all the important info to get you up and running, so don't hesitate to jump in the Canada forum and say hi and don't forget there is always someone around if you have any questions.

Sue
Old Nov 6th 2010, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lightnfoot! Your screen name reminds me of a friend I had in college whose last name was Proudfoot.

Welcome to BE! I hope you enjoy the time you spend here. Please don't hesitate to ask if I can help you find your way around the site.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 8:56 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lightnfoot

Just to say welcome to BE from me too and it's niceto hear hings are working out for you and your family.
Your other half's two teenagers may enjoy our Youth club forum which is a dedicated forum for teenagers. You will find it on the main forum index page if you scroll down past all the countries.
Hope you enjoy spending time on the Canada forum where I sue you will meet plenty of kindred spirits

Dread - x
Old Nov 6th 2010, 12:05 pm
Nicole

lightnfoot is just really nicelightnfoot is just really nicelightnfoot is just really nicelightnfoot is just really nicelightnfoot is just really nicelightnfoot is just really nicelightnfoot is just really nicelightnfoot is just really nice

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Hi Lightnfoot

Just to say welcome to BE from me too and it's niceto hear hings are working out for you and your family.
Your other half's two teenagers may enjoy our Youth club forum which is a dedicated forum for teenagers. You will find it on the main forum index page if you scroll down past all the countries.
Hope you enjoy spending time on the Canada forum where I sue you will meet plenty of kindred spirits

Dread - x
Thank you so much. I will definitely tell the boys to check out the forum. I know they are looking forward to moving here to Canada, but I would imagine they are very nervous too as they are leaving everything they have ever known.
Nicole
Old Nov 6th 2010, 12:06 pm
Nicole

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hi there and welcome to BE.

We have a fantastic group of people posting in our Canada forums and the regulars in the Canada Immigration Forum will help you with any questions about your husband and his son's immigration process.

If you click here it will take you directly to the main index page of the Canada Forum. At the top you will see a list of sub forums...the first one is the Immigration Forum...please post all questions regarding the immigration process there. The general forum is for topics related to Canada and the Maple Leaf forum is for general chit chat. Before you begin to post please read through all the sticky threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of the forum's index page. Also take a look in the BE Wiki...you'll find loads of information in there.

We also have a Youth Club Forum which is for teenagers only.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid and The Aviator are concierges for the Canada forums...they will act as your tour guides and guide you around the forums.

For any other problems please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa...although any mod or admin will be pleased to help you.

Please give me a shout if you need any help.
Thanks Jerseygirl! I have started to browse through the forum and think it is a fantastic site! It is so nice to know that others have gone or are going through similar experiences
Old Nov 6th 2010, 12:14 pm
Nicole

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Hi Lightnfoot! Your screen name reminds me of a friend I had in college whose last name was Proudfoot.

Welcome to BE! I hope you enjoy the time you spend here. Please don't hesitate to ask if I can help you find your way around the site.
LOL Thanks Kaffy My husbands' last name is Lightfoot (now mine as well) and just through the 'N' from my first name in there lol.

Maybe you can help me. My husband got an email just over a week ago (2 1/2 months after we submitted the sponsorship application and knew I was approved and it was now in London) saying to submit the Permanent Residence Fee. We paid the fee, submitted the receipts to Ontario and London, and now wonder what the process is from here? We know he will get permanent residence papers, but what happens then? Is he able to move here immediately (after he wraps things up there of course) and when he is here, what rights does he have in Canada?

I have been looking over and over the CIC package but I am lost lol. So much paperwork (but he is worth every bit of it). He has a few companies here (people that have met him over the last two years of him coming to see me ever few months) that are interested in him as an employee but is he able to work immediately? I was told once he gets his PR card he will be issued a SIN number, etc, but that was awhile back and I want to make sure we know what we are doing

Thanks for any help you can give me or direct me to.

Have a fantastic day!

Nicole
Old Nov 6th 2010, 2:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jerseygirl! I have started to browse through the forum and think it is a fantastic site! It is so nice to know that others have gone or are going through similar experiences
Yes it's reassuring isn't it to know you're not the only one?
Old Nov 6th 2010, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

LOL Thanks Kaffy My husbands' last name is Lightfoot (now mine as well) and just through the 'N' from my first name in there lol.

Maybe you can help me. My husband got an email just over a week ago (2 1/2 months after we submitted the sponsorship application and knew I was approved and it was now in London) saying to submit the Permanent Residence Fee. We paid the fee, submitted the receipts to Ontario and London, and now wonder what the process is from here? We know he will get permanent residence papers, but what happens then? Is he able to move here immediately (after he wraps things up there of course) and when he is here, what rights does he have in Canada?

I have been looking over and over the CIC package but I am lost lol. So much paperwork (but he is worth every bit of it). He has a few companies here (people that have met him over the last two years of him coming to see me ever few months) that are interested in him as an employee but is he able to work immediately? I was told once he gets his PR card he will be issued a SIN number, etc, but that was awhile back and I want to make sure we know what we are doing

Thanks for any help you can give me or direct me to.

Have a fantastic day!

Nicole
Hi Nicole!

I would suggest searching to see if you can come up with relevant threads, or poke around in the Canada Immigration Forum. If you don't find anything relevant, start a thread in that section - I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

Kaffy
Old Nov 7th 2010, 4:01 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE.