Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hi from Cambodia

Hi from Cambodia

Old Jun 5th 2013, 3:16 am
Just Joined

rodstod7072 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi from Cambodia

Please allow me to introduce myself, yeah i know, the opening line of a well known Stone's number, but once you read the second line(Im a man of wealth and means) that is where any comparison to me falters. My name is Cy, i have lived in Cambodia since my retirement, because this is the country of my choice to live, i am penalised by the U.K. pensions department, with respect to receiving the annual increase, even though during my working life i was in the main gainfully employed....45 years plus working in the construction industry, paying my due's National Insurance,P.A.Y.E. etc. Any way to get to the point, i am seeking information to lobby groups to join to protest against this injustice, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 7:41 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi

HI there and welcome to the forum. Yep, great Stones record.

I am based just down the road from you (well a few thousand miles actually) in Penang Malaysia.

I won't be getting my State Pension for some years yet but, like you, mine will also be frozen here in Malaysia. Yep, it sucks. Well....very good luck to you in your lobbying though I think others have tried and failed. The problem is of course that you lose the right to vote after so many years, so they have us by the short and curlies.

I recall that there was a big lobbying group in Australia. Maybe do a search in the Australia section on here.

All the best and continue enjoying Cambodia..... a bit cheaper than the UK eh?
Old Jun 5th 2013, 10:34 am
Just Joined

Hi bakedbean, (can get the heinz variety here.sorry about the double pun!) thanks for you welcome and advice, will search the Ausie thread as suggested. It's certainly a lot cheaper to live here than Blighty. There is a good expat community here,just re-newed my visa for another yea,r $280 u.s.When i was a kid in the U.K I told my brothers that one day i would wake up every morning and see palm/coconut tree's and go for a morning swim in the ocean i don't think they believed me,but they do now!! Take care and regards.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 7:49 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodstod7072
Hi bakedbean, (can get the heinz variety here.sorry about the double pun!) thanks for you welcome and advice, will search the Ausie thread as suggested. It's certainly a lot cheaper to live here than Blighty. There is a good expat community here,just re-newed my visa for another yea,r $280 u.s.When i was a kid in the U.K I told my brothers that one day i would wake up every morning and see palm/coconut tree's and go for a morning swim in the ocean i don't think they believed me,but they do now!! Take care and regards.
Sounds wonderful. How long have you lived there?
Old Jun 6th 2013, 5:27 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Hi from Cambodia

I had travelled quite widely, mainly throughout S,E. Asia prior to my retirement, and it was always my intention to retire outside the U.K, the only question was where? After much deliberation i chose Cambodia, Lao would have been my second choice but i needed to be near the sea (Lao is landlocked) Cambodia is regarded as a "Third world country" It is a relaxed diverse place,the cost of living here reflects it's Third word status. The legacy of the Pol Pot, Khmer Rouge era is still in evidence, with 50% of the population being under 25. Amongst the expats here, there are people from the U,S,, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and more recently Russia. one well known mantra here is never do more than one task per day,you can always do it tomorrow. It is becoming part of the Asian experience for families and back packers particulary during the high season,November to June (As opposed to the wet season) Personally,i am enjoying a stress free, relaxed retirement here in this "Kingdom of "Wonder" which was always the objective once i had retired from the "First World"
Old Jun 6th 2013, 10:53 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you've really settled into it well. I loved the bit about never doing more than one task per day because you can do it tomorrow. I may well take up that same mantra
Old Jun 7th 2013, 8:36 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary