Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hi, British expat in Chicago

Hi, British expat in Chicago

Old Jan 27th 2011, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

cuttysark is just really nicecuttysark is just really nicecuttysark is just really nicecuttysark is just really nicecuttysark is just really nicecuttysark is just really nicecuttysark is just really nicecuttysark is just really nice
Smile Hi, British expat in Chicago

Hello!
I've lived in the US for 15 years, got moved over here in the "great family exodus" of '96 when I was 14. I was born in Scotland and grew up in England until we moved here. (Norfolk to be precise). I've had a bit of a struggle here, very much a subscriber to the "grass is always greener" school of thought. I love America, and moved to Chicago 6 years ago, it's a great city. However I have a constant nagging feeling of "if only". (If only we'd stayed in the UK everything would be better.)
I find my life in America to be quite solitary, it's a vast place and it's very easy to fall through the cracks with little effort. I miss the collective cultural aspect of the UK, sharing experiences, etc. America's a beautiful, vast, expansive country, but you do feel very much on your own in certain areas.

I'm mulling over a decision to possibly move back to the UK in the near future, which brought me here. I'm currently using a green card to live in the States, mulling over citizenship decisions etc.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi, British expat in Chicago

Hi welcome to BE, you will find lots of people in the same mindset as you!
There is a forum full of us who want to go home or think we do.
Look around you will find us!
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cuttysark
Hello!
I've lived in the US for 15 years, got moved over here in the "great family exodus" of '96 when I was 14. I was born in Scotland and grew up in England until we moved here. (Norfolk to be precise). I've had a bit of a struggle here, very much a subscriber to the "grass is always greener" school of thought. I love America, and moved to Chicago 6 years ago, it's a great city. However I have a constant nagging feeling of "if only". (If only we'd stayed in the UK everything would be better.)
I find my life in America to be quite solitary, it's a vast place and it's very easy to fall through the cracks with little effort. I miss the collective cultural aspect of the UK, sharing experiences, etc. America's a beautiful, vast, expansive country, but you do feel very much on your own in certain areas.

I'm mulling over a decision to possibly move back to the UK in the near future, which brought me here. I'm currently using a green card to live in the States, mulling over citizenship decisions etc.
Hello and welcome to BE Cuttysark.

As charleygirl said...there are many of us here in the same mindset as yourself. I see you have already started posting in our MBTTUK forum. There's loads of info in that forum for people who wish to move back home. The 'regulars' who post in that forum have also formed a great support system for those who have been away for a many years and now wish to go home.

We have quite a few members who live in the Chicago area who post in our US Forums...why don't you pop over there and take a look around? The link I have given you will take you to the main index page of the US Forums. At the top of the page there is a list of sub forums...you will see a Meet-Ups Forum...take a look through the threads for people living in your area...or open a new thread if you wish to meet new friends.

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a mod or admin. The mods for the US forums are Bob and MsElui. Although you can contact any mod or admin...there is usually one of us around 24/7.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:27 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome.

I just wanted to say- if you can get the citizenship sorted I would. You never know which way life might turn and it would give you so many more options in the future if you have that up your sleeve.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
Hi and welcome.

I just wanted to say- if you can get the citizenship sorted I would. You never know which way life might turn and it would give you so many more options in the future if you have that up your sleeve.
Good thinking MsE. Cuttysark if you can defo get US citizenship...it gives you the flexibility of returning to live in the US. You may not think you would want to...but never say never...especially if you have family here.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

cuttysark is just really nicecuttysark is just really nicecuttysark is just really nicecuttysark is just really nicecuttysark is just really nicecuttysark is just really nicecuttysark is just really nicecuttysark is just really nice
Smile Re: Hi, British expat in Chicago

Thanks everyone for the welcome and advice. Hmm, I'm really regretting the $450 I just paid to renew my green card, should've put that towards citizenship. I really appreciate the info!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cuttysark
Thanks everyone for the welcome and advice. Hmm, I'm really regretting the $450 I just paid to renew my green card, should've put that towards citizenship. I really appreciate the info!
Hi Cuttysark! How do you like the winter this year? Brrr! I second the advice of others to think about getting your citizenship, it never hurts to keep your options open. Welcome to BE, I look forward to getting to know you better, and please don't hesitate to ask if I can help you find your way around.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Hi Cuttysark! How do you like the winter this year? Brrr! I second the advice of others to think about getting your citizenship, it never hurts to keep your options open. Welcome to BE, I look forward to getting to know you better, and please don't hesitate to ask if I can help you find your way around.
It's freeeezing! Last Friday was the worst, -3ºF on my way to work! I had to convert it to Celcius to get all the appropriate "oohs and ahhs" from my Brits! Thanks for the welcome!

(it was about -20º C btw!)

Last edited by cuttysark; Jan 28th 2011 at 3:29 am. Reason: to add celcius!