Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hi All - In Guadalajara

Hi All - In Guadalajara

Old Jul 25th 2010, 4:27 am
Just Joined

chezyb is just really nicechezyb is just really nicechezyb is just really nicechezyb is just really nicechezyb is just really nicechezyb is just really nicechezyb is just really nicechezyb is just really nice
Default Hi All - In Guadalajara

Hi All,
Hoping this site could be useful. I'm a Brit and moved to Guadalajara over a year ago to live with my partner. We recently had a baby. I´ve been struggling to meet friends ( along with struggling with the language) and am hoping there are people out there, even if its just for a chat and exchange of information.
Hope to hear from someone
Cheryl
Old Jul 25th 2010, 6:39 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi All - In Guadalajara

Hi there Cheryl and welcome to B.E.

The main links to the South America section are here

But I see that you've already found the mexico bit! Anyway, any questions, feel free to ask me. If I don't know, I know someone who does.

Good luck in your searching.

Alistair.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 11:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chezyb
Hi All,
Hoping this site could be useful. I'm a Brit and moved to Guadalajara over a year ago to live with my partner. We recently had a baby. I´ve been struggling to meet friends ( along with struggling with the language) and am hoping there are people out there, even if its just for a chat and exchange of information.
Hope to hear from someone
Cheryl
Welcome to BE Cheryl.

It must be quite a struggle trying to adapt to life in a new country...especially a non English speaking country when you have a baby to look after. It was a struggle for me when I moved to the US and my daughter was 11. Apart from missing friends and family...it's the ordinary run of the mill things that are part of everyday life that I missed dreadfully.

I see you've already found your way into our Central & South America forums...but please feel free to join in any of the other forums. BE is a large expat website...so it's understandable that you may have problems finding your way around our many forums. We have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guides to direct you around the website. You can find a list of their names at the bottom right hand side of this page.

You may be interested in taking a peek in The Lounge...this forum is not country specific but I suggest you spend time reading through some of the old threads before you jump in and post...because some of the banter can be a little daunting to new members. The Lounge is the place for dry humour and sarcastic wit and what may look like an all out verbal fight is often just old friends ribbing each other. Take a read through this and you'll see what I mean.

All other questions, problems or concerns should be addressed to a moderator...the mods for the C & S America forum are Sue and Mitzyboy. Although if they are not around any of the mods will be more than pleased to help you...there's usually one of us around 24/7.

Please give me a shout if I can help you with anything and I look forward to seeing you around the forums.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 1:24 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi an welcome to the forum, I too live in a Spanish speaking country and at first found it hard to understand anything...but here 6 - nearly 7 -years later The wife and I have been asked to appear on national Spanish radio..so it can be done, just keep on plugging on.

Good luck.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

chezyb is just really nicechezyb is just really nicechezyb is just really nicechezyb is just really nicechezyb is just really nicechezyb is just really nicechezyb is just really nicechezyb is just really nice

Do you have any tips on learning apart from classes? I find that people speak way to quickly even when I ask in Spanish to speak slowly, they use loads of slang and never look in my direction when speaking to me! I teach English for a living and i'm pretty sure none of my students would have learned anything if I spoke like that!!! It's putting me off even trying what i know.

Thanks
Old Jul 29th 2010, 10:01 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cheryl

Welcome to BE.

I am glad to hear that you have started posting onto the South America forum where I am sure sonme of the regulars there will offewr you support and friendship.
It is always very difficult to adapt when you find the language difficult. Bear in mind that you have only just really got there, so give yourself a chance. My advice would be to just keep plugging away learning Spanish the 'proper way', and the longer you are there the more you will be able to understand the colloquial stuff. Don't give up !!
It might be worth a web search to see of tehre are any cd based courses - that way you may pick it up listening in the car etc... just a thought.

I hope you find some friends on BE and good luck - I think you are pretty brave actually.

Dread - x