Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Help with letting UK property - british expat living in India

Help with letting UK property - british expat living in India

Old Mar 11th 2011, 5:06 am
Just Joined

Heathergupta is just really niceHeathergupta is just really niceHeathergupta is just really niceHeathergupta is just really niceHeathergupta is just really niceHeathergupta is just really niceHeathergupta is just really niceHeathergupta is just really nice
Default Help with letting UK property - british expat living in India

Dear all

I just joined this site and hoping for some help.

I am an expatriate living and working in India. I left the UK 10 years ago and have had no income in the UK since then.

I bought a property in 2003 and my sister has been living there since, and now I plan to let it to a third party for about 900 pounds per month.

Should I be declaring this / paying tax on the amount? And if so, how would I go about doing that?

Any help gratefully received

Thanks

Heather Gupta
Old Mar 11th 2011, 2:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with letting UK property - british expat living in India

Originally Posted by Heathergupta
Dear all

I am an expatriate living and working in India. I left the UK 10 years ago and have had no income in the UK since then.

I bought a property in 2003 and my sister has been living there since, and now I plan to let it to a third party for about 900 pounds per month.

Should I be declaring this / paying tax on the amount? And if so, how would I go about doing that?

Thanks

Heather Gupta
Hello Heather Gupta...welcome to the site.

Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. I hope you enjoy being part of our cyber community.

I think you would be best reposting in the Goa. Why don't you pop over there, take a look around and join in?

BE is a large expat website...so it's understandable that you may have problems finding your way around our many forums. We have a team of concierges who will direct you around the website. The concierge for the Goa forum is Dreadsoc...she will help you if you feel a little lost.

Problems and complaints should be addressed to a moderator. The mod for the Goa forum is Noni.

Please shout out if you need any further help.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 6:03 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Dear all

Thanks

Heather Gupta
Welcome to BE sorry I can't answer your question but hopefully someone who can will be along to help if you post on the sub forum.
B
Old Mar 12th 2011, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice

Hi Heather

If you visit:

www.landlordzone.co.uk

you will find your answer there !
Old Mar 13th 2011, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Heathergupta is just really niceHeathergupta is just really niceHeathergupta is just really niceHeathergupta is just really niceHeathergupta is just really niceHeathergupta is just really niceHeathergupta is just really niceHeathergupta is just really nice
Smile Re: Help with letting UK property - british expat living in India

Thank you for your helpful advice everyone. I don't think the Goa forum is the right place to post as this is more general advice about UK tax issues rather than related to the fact that I live in India. Maybe I'll keep loooking and will find a more appropriate place to post. I've been an expat for 10 years and only just discovered this site! Heather
Old Mar 13th 2011, 9:25 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your helpful advice everyone. I don't think the Goa forum is the right place to post as this is more general advice about UK tax issues rather than related to the fact that I live in India. Maybe I'll keep loooking and will find a more appropriate place to post. I've been an expat for 10 years and only just discovered this site! Heather
You are not a UK resident. If I read it right, you have purchased a property in the UK to rent, and your sister has been renting it since 2003? Now you will have an income of around £8400.

If that's the case then yes, you should be declaring it for tax, but you need expert financial advice. If you are in the UK then the matter can be handled through a rental agency and they will deduct the tax due at source. However, not sure if it is the same between UK and India, and also what the Indian tax rules are on worldwide income.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 11:16 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Heather

Just to let you know I am the concierge involved with the Goa forum, so welcome to British expats.
The moderator for the Goa forum is Noni - and she is really nice.

Where are you in India?

Even if you are living in a different part of India to Goa, please drop in and say hi to us all on the Goa forum, we would love to have you join us. Also many of the folks who are on that forum roam to other parts of India, so you may well be able to advise them on places near to you. Also you never know, you may want the odd weekend down in Goa?......

I see someone has given you a website where you will find the answer to your question on tax for your rental property. I can confirm that you do not have to declare anything to the Indian authorities about it as the property is in the UK.

Hope to see you popping up in 'cyber Goa'

Dread
x