British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Hello on the way to the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/hello-way-us-668849/)

srefre May 19th 2010 7:24 am

Hello on the way to the US

Hello there!

I probably should have posted here sooner, but better late than never I suppose. Those of you who post in the US forums might have noticed me posting, hopefully you haven't decided I am a complete troublemaker just yet though.

I am from England, currently living in Guildford, but I am planning to move to Chicago in the coming year. Mainly for work purposes, as I am employed by a big IT company who have offices there. I also have a USC wife though, so it will be nice for her to be a little closer to her family, and now I can know what it is like being the foreigner in the relationship.

Anyway thats my little introduction, looking forward to meeting some nice new people here and finding out more about expat life.

Dan

Jerseygirl May 19th 2010 12:50 pm

Re: Hello

Originally Posted by srefre (Post 8575325)
Hello there!

I probably should have posted here sooner, but better late than never I suppose. Those of you who post in the US forums might have noticed me posting, hopefully you haven't decided I am a complete troublemaker just yet though.

I am from England, currently living in Guildford, but I am planning to move to Chicago in the coming year. Mainly for work purposes, as I am employed by a big IT company who have offices there. I also have a USC wife though, so it will be nice for her to be a little closer to her family, and now I can know what it is like being the foreigner in the relationship.

Anyway thats my little introduction, looking forward to meeting some nice new people here and finding out more about expat life.

Dan

Hello there Dan. Yes I have noticed your posts in the US forums...how are you liking BE so far?

IMO Chicago is a great city...I was there for a few weeks one April and the weather was awful...snow, rain, wind. We drove out to the suburbs and the weather was completely different...it was warm and people were walking around in shorts and tee shirts. We have quite a few members who live in the Chicago area...both English and American.

Good luck with the move.

Bob May 19th 2010 5:22 pm

Welcome to BE again :)

meauxna May 19th 2010 5:58 pm

Official 'hello there!' to you, Dan. :) Nice to see your smiling face, too.

srefre May 19th 2010 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8575955)
Hello there Dan. Yes I have noticed your posts in the US forums...how are you liking BE so far?

IMO Chicago is a great city...I was there for a few weeks one April and the weather was awful...snow, rain, wind. We drove out to the suburbs and the weather was completely different...it was warm and people were walking around in shorts and tee shirts. We have quite a few members who live in the Chicago area...both English and American.

Good luck with the move.

Thanks to everyone for all the official hellos!
Enjoying my time here so far, had the odd moment of frustration, but mostly a lot of excellent advice and some really nice people.

Chicago seems to get a pretty good write up, so I'm happy to have the chance to move there. I have been a couple of times on business trips so I know what I am letting myself in for in the winter. Also my sister lives over the other side of the lake, so experienced a lovely MI winter too!

[QUOTE=meauxna]Nice to see your smiling face, too.[\QUOTE]

I thought it would be nice to put a pic as having a face in a discussion, somehow makes it feel a bit better. Also thought I'd better prove to some people I don't have little red horns growing out the top of my head!

Do I get bonus points for posting the picture of my cat too? :)

meauxna May 19th 2010 6:59 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by srefre (Post 8576708)

Do I get bonus points for posting the picture of my cat too? :)

lolz, oh yes.. didn't you notice I karma'd Tabby?

In fact, I think it's time for....

srefre May 19th 2010 7:09 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8576725)
lolz, oh yes.. didn't you notice I karma'd Tabby?

In fact, I think it's time for....

Two cats, I only have 1, who hopefully will be a fully fledged international traveller in the not too distant future.

Actually I saw the karma thing, but despite being a computer geek, I'm a forum newbie so wasn't sure about when I should be using it or not. I keep feeling bad as I have received loads of great advice and nice messages that I probably should have given karma for.

n0uk May 21st 2010 2:26 pm

Re: Hello on the way to the US

Hello Dan.

I'd love to move to Chicago - it's one of my favourite US cities. I like to drive there once or twice a year for the weekend, although it took me a long time to consider driving five hours for a weekend trip reasonable!

Good luck with the move and thanks for the comments about the changes to Croydon in another thread!

Chris

meauxna May 21st 2010 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by srefre (Post 8576737)
Two cats, I only have 1, who hopefully will be a fully fledged international traveller in the not too distant future.

Actually I saw the karma thing, but despite being a computer geek, I'm a forum newbie so wasn't sure about when I should be using it or not. I keep feeling bad as I have received loads of great advice and nice messages that I probably should have given karma for.

Well, my tabby Alex is gone now. He was 18 at the end, and sadly, a shadow of his former self.

You help yourself to karma.. you can go back and karma old posts if you want to and when they are nice messages (as they should be), they are the nicest little surprise. :)

srefre May 23rd 2010 6:59 am

Originally Posted by n0uk (Post 8581027)
Hello Dan.

I'd love to move to Chicago - it's one of my favourite US cities. I like to drive there once or twice a year for the weekend, although it took me a long time to consider driving five hours for a weekend trip reasonable!

Good luck with the move and thanks for the comments about the changes to Croydon in another thread!

Chris

When I finally get there, maybe I'll catch up with you one day, if you're on one of your road trips. You have to promise not to talk about any version of AIX or zSeries though!

Glad you appreciated the comments. Be interested to see what you make of the place yourself!

twinks Aug 2nd 2010 3:16 pm

hello all...i am loving all this info. on moving out to chicago! do you go about applying for visas ect. this is all just a dream for me right now and im very intrigued how you go about moving to chicago,i visited many years ago and fell in love with the place!!! i am now a mother of a 4 yar old and would love to work there! where is the best place to rent for families..?

Bob Aug 2nd 2010 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by twinks (Post 8747006)
hello all...i am loving all this info. on moving out to chicago! do you go about applying for visas ect. this is all just a dream for me right now and im very intrigued how you go about moving to chicago,i visited many years ago and fell in love with the place!!! i am now a mother of a 4 yar old and would love to work there! where is the best place to rent for families..?

Read the wiki - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

If you can fit in one of those routes great, other wise it's a waste of time even thinking about places to rent because it's all about the visa, which ain't easy to get.

clivewheeler Aug 3rd 2010 8:23 am

Hi Dan

Have only just discovered this site and arrived in San Antonio TX about two months ago to marry my Texan wife. Am gradually getting used to the temperatures - even though this year so far has been one the areas more civilised summers no day has been higher than 95 degrees, but of course the humidity is the thing which slows you right down.

Unlike me , you do not have to suffer the trials and tribulations of obtaining a SS number in order to work here. I am caught up in that process currently and it is bureaucratic, time consuming and costly however that seems to be the only downside to date. People here are warm and friendly so have had no trouble setting up a network of friends - and they do know how to have a good time.:thumbsup:

Clive.

meauxna Aug 3rd 2010 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by clivewheeler (Post 8748965)
Unlike me , you do not have to suffer the trials and tribulations of obtaining a SS number in order to work here. I am caught up in that process currently and it is bureaucratic, time consuming and costly however that seems to be the only downside to date.

What's the problem with getting your SS#? How is it costing?

dreadsoc Aug 4th 2010 1:00 am

Hi to Dan, Twinks and Clive

Just a little message to say welcome to you all to BE.
I hope you have lots of fun whilst you are with us and all your plans come together for you.

Dread - x