Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

hello there can anyone help me?

hello there can anyone help me?

Old Jan 15th 2011, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Gezvinda is just really niceGezvinda is just really niceGezvinda is just really niceGezvinda is just really niceGezvinda is just really niceGezvinda is just really niceGezvinda is just really niceGezvinda is just really nice
Default hello there can anyone help me?

I'm just on the brink of getting my decree absolute from a violent marriage and would love just to take off for a few months on a trip to see my partner in America - i'm leaving my children in safe hands here and have every intention of coming home - its just that after such an horrendous year -I want a break to go visit him and my friends there and regroup. Am I able to go on my VWP - I really just need to escape for a whiles
Old Jan 15th 2011, 7:14 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hello there ca nanyone help me

Originally Posted by Gezvinda
I'm just on the brink of getting my decree absolute from a violent marriage and would love just to take off for a few months on a trip to see my partner in America - i'm leaving my children in safe hands here and have every intention of coming home - its just that after such an horrendous year -I want a break to go visit him and my friends there and regroup. Am I able to go on my VWP - I really just need to escape for a whiles
Why are you concerned that you may not be able to travel normally?

Do you hold a passport from a VWP country? Did you complete the ESTA and get approved with that passport within the past 2 years? Do you have any immigration history/problems in the US? Have you ever been arrested for anything?
Old Jan 15th 2011, 7:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Am I able to go on my VWP...
If you are otherwise eligible to travel on the VWP, then go... and have a good time.

Ian
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Gezvinda is just really niceGezvinda is just really niceGezvinda is just really niceGezvinda is just really niceGezvinda is just really niceGezvinda is just really niceGezvinda is just really niceGezvinda is just really nice

Originally Posted by crg
Why are you concerned that you may not be able to travel normally?

Do you hold a passport from a VWP country? Did you complete the ESTA and get approved with that passport within the past 2 years? Do you have any immigration history/problems in the US? Have you ever been arrested for anything?
I do and yes completely my ESTA in JUNE and spent some time there - no criminal record/immigration problems - Its just that my ex husband hs told me that he will stop me going to spend time in America and I was sort of worried is all - I know I'm probably being over cautious but my partner in the US is anxious for me to get there and I want to see him and I would hate for anything to stand in our way
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:25 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I do and yes completely my ESTA in JUNE and spent some time there - no criminal record/immigration problems - Its just that my ex husband hs told me that he will stop me going to spend time in America and I was sort of worried is all - I know I'm probably being over cautious but my partner in the US is anxious for me to get there and I want to see him and I would hate for anything to stand in our way
You are divorced, right? What could your ex do to keep you from going to the US?
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
You are divorced, right? What could your ex do to keep you from going to the US?
he wont apply for the absolute until I sign all my rights over to him - I've agreed to do this just to get free of him but still I think he may cause me problems - my partner in the US is not working at the moment - I have given up everything I own just to get free of my ex husband - I have a return plane ticket and my child waiting for me at home - I just wanted to go out there to see if it would be viable for my son and I to make a life out there - he said that if I leave the country he will never let me into my own house here again - I feel really really adrift - I can't stop here and I feel I can't go there
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:53 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

he wont apply for the absolute until I sign all my rights over to him - I've agreed to do this just to get free of him but still I think he may cause me problems - my partner in the US is not working at the moment - I have given up everything I own just to get free of my ex husband - I have a return plane ticket and my child waiting for me at home - I just wanted to go out there to see if it would be viable for my son and I to make a life out there - he said that if I leave the country he will never let me into my own house here again - I feel really really adrift - I can't stop here and I feel I can't go there
Wow, this sounds serious. Do you have a divorce lawyer?
What do you mean by signing all your rights over to him? Is he the father of your child (you said children elsewhere?).

I'd urge you to proceed with caution, it sounds like there is a lot to your story (which you are not obliged to share here). There was a thread in the marriage based forum recently about the difficulties of getting permission from the ex for taking the child, and also some considerations about the mother taking a trip to the US without the kids.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=696402

Please be careful and keep your eye on the big picture if you're hoping to immigrate to the US.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

he isn't the father of my children - their father is completely fine about me going with my youngest - my oldest are happy to stay here with there own life - I just need to be able to get away from him - I certainly have to run
Old Jan 17th 2011, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

he isn't the father of my children - their father is completely fine about me going with my youngest - my oldest are happy to stay here with there own life - I just need to be able to get away from him - I certainly have to run

Run away as in immigrating? that is a different issue with its own set of problems. If your plan is to just visit on your own (with your youngest), your ex husband should not be able to do anything in terms of meddling with your plans. Why don't you not tell him when you are leaving? This does sound serious. It may be worth discussing this with a family lawyer and an immigration lawyer in the UK.
Oh and btw, make sure you get a consent letter from your youngest child's father!