Reload this Page >

Hello from Singapore

Hello from Singapore

Old May 23rd 2012, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Anarchy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello from Singapore

Hey all,

I am not exactly new here as it turns out I had an account here from way back when god knows I can't remember it to be honest think it was from my student days

So yeah I am from the UK currently working in Singapore within IT been here 2.5yrs. Now im looking to move on to another location as my contract will be ending soon but been as its IT its hard to find work elsewhere .

Ideally if I had the comfort of choosing I would like to find work in the US/Canada but as its not that easy I am open to pretty much anywhere in the world

Anyway its good to be here and I hope to get/find some tips and maybe some networking done here

Rob
Old May 23rd 2012, 12:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from Singapore

Originally Posted by Anarchy
Hey all,

I am not exactly new here as it turns out I had an account here from way back when god knows I can't remember it to be honest think it was from my student days

So yeah I am from the UK currently working in Singapore within IT been here 2.5yrs. Now im looking to move on to another location as my contract will be ending soon but been as its IT its hard to find work elsewhere .

Ideally if I had the comfort of choosing I would like to find work in the US/Canada but as its not that easy I am open to pretty much anywhere in the world

Anyway its good to be here and I hope to get/find some tips and maybe some networking done here

Rob
Welcome back to BE Rob...it's always nice to see old members return to the fold.

It's much easier to move to Canada than it is to the US...although if you are working for a company who has an office in the US you may be able to get a transfer. I assume you know your way around the forums...although I think you'll find BE has grown quite a bit since the last time you were here. Take a look down the list of countries in the Living and Moving Abroad Forum...there may be several country specific forums that interest you.
Old May 23rd 2012, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome back to BE Rob...it's always nice to see old members return to the fold.

It's much easier to move to Canada than it is to the US...although if you are working for a company who has an office in the US you may be able to get a transfer. I assume you know your way around the forums...although I think you'll find BE has grown quite a bit since the last time you were here. Take a look down the list of countries in the Living and Moving Abroad Forum...there may be several country specific forums that interest you.
Thanks for the re-welcome Jerseygirl

Yes I hear its always best to be in a MNC and get a transfer although I work in a MNC to get a transfer to the Americas would not be possible as the structure of the company is completely different.

I was thinking of going to Canada and just apply while there but this seems like an expensive way especially if nothing comes from it.

Anyway I will head over to the moving abroad forums
Old May 23rd 2012, 1:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the re-welcome Jerseygirl

Yes I hear its always best to be in a MNC and get a transfer although I work in a MNC to get a transfer to the Americas would not be possible as the structure of the company is completely different.

I was thinking of going to Canada and just apply while there but this seems like an expensive way especially if nothing comes from it.

Anyway I will head over to the moving abroad forums
I can't help you with the Canadian Immigration process...sorry. My daughter lives in Toronto and loves it there...she went to uni in Toronto...got a job and is now a perm. resident.

Head on over to our Canada forums...the people in the Immigration Forum will guide you in the right direction. Good luck.
Old May 23rd 2012, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

I can't help you with the Canadian Immigration process...sorry. My daughter lives in Toronto and loves it there...she went to uni in Toronto...got a job and is now a perm. resident.

Head on over to our Canada forums...the people in the Immigration Forum will guide you in the right direction. Good luck.
Toronto does look amazing, anyway thanks for the tips Jerseygirl
Old May 23rd 2012, 1:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Toronto does look amazing, anyway thanks for the tips Jerseygirl
I will be heading there on Friday.

Many of the people who frequent the Canada Forums live in the Toronto area...the Vancouver area is also very popular. For quality of life Vancouver is supposed to be one of the best places to live in the world...although I believe it is expensive.
Old May 23rd 2012, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

I will be heading there on Friday.

Many of the people who frequent the Canada Forums live in the Toronto area...the Vancouver area is also very popular. For quality of life Vancouver is supposed to be one of the best places to live in the world...although I believe it is expensive.
Oh really nice hope you have fun there but im sure you will , yes Vancouver always seems to be in the 10 ten list of cities to live.
Old May 23rd 2012, 1:54 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

HiAnarchy. All the best with your plans. I am also ex resident from the Pressure Cooker. Left there in 2007 and now in Penang...via Thailand. The expat life works in mysterious ways uh? Hope everything works out.
Old May 23rd 2012, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bakedbean
HiAnarchy. All the best with your plans. I am also ex resident from the Pressure Cooker. Left there in 2007 and now in Penang...via Thailand. The expat life works in mysterious ways uh? Hope everything works out.
Hi bakedbean,
Ah Penang I been there nice place but then Malaysia is a cool place. Thanks for the luck its hardwork feel like im beating my head against the wall
Old May 23rd 2012, 2:13 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

It's never great looking for work but just keep cool and work at it.

I'm just wondering if it might be worth looking in KL. Seems to be so many folks moving to KL for work on here, though might not be your choice after Singapore hehe. All the best
Old May 23rd 2012, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bakedbean
It's never great looking for work but just keep cool and work at it.

I'm just wondering if it might be worth looking in KL. Seems to be so many folks moving to KL for work on here, though might not be your choice after Singapore hehe. All the best
Yea I have thought about KL I been few times its a good city rough and ready which I like haha, if after my contract I don't or can't renew then I will consider KL as its close for when I get kicked out of SG .

Thanks for the tip .
Old May 24th 2012, 7:11 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 25th 2012, 6:17 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Anarchy

I'm currently living in KL, a great place to live and so much cheaper than Singapore! My husband works here in IT and finds it very difficult to find 'good' people to work within the organisation. Plenty of opportunities for IT professionals here! Good luck with your planning

Cheers
Ajw
Old May 25th 2012, 7:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Hi Rosemary,

Thanks for the info

Originally Posted by ajw
Hi Anarchy

I'm currently living in KL, a great place to live and so much cheaper than Singapore! My husband works here in IT and finds it very difficult to find 'good' people to work within the organisation. Plenty of opportunities for IT professionals here! Good luck with your planning

Cheers
Ajw
Hi ajw,

I have started looking in KL to see what jobs are there, if you don't mind me asking is your husband looking for people at this moment in IT?

Rob
Old May 25th 2012, 7:36 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

I'll ask him Rob. What do you do? Bear in mind that people he hires here are locals on local wages, so not sure if thats what you would be looking for...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.