Reload this Page >

hello and a question

hello and a question

Old Oct 21st 2015, 1:25 pm
pt1
Just Joined

pt1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hello and a question

Hello, hope I am in the right place for this = please move if necessary, I am a UK subject, resident, born in UK, with a UK passport. I qualify and have correct documents / certificates for an Irish passport (parent born in Dublin). If I obtain Irish passport - how do my rights of residency, entitlements change - if at all. Do I stop being a UK subject or am I in theory a dual citizen? Can I hold both UK and Irish passport / citizenship?

Thank you for any comments. pt1
Old Oct 21st 2015, 1:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hello and a question

You will be a dual citizen, but in practice nothing will change for you because both countries are members of the European Economic Area, giving free movement to live and work for citizens of all thirty member countries.

There is no bar to you holding both British and Irish passports in/by either country, and in fact it is fairly difficult (you have to deliberately choose to give up your British citizenship to get rid of it, it can't happen easily or inadvertently).

I can't see any tangible benefit to holding both British and Irish passports.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 21st 2015 at 1:41 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 2:01 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hey welcome to the forum
Old Oct 25th 2015, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

welcome to the forum pt..Interesting question and agree with Pulaski,why do you need both passports? There is no actual benefit unless you are anticipating the UK leaving the Euro Zone.but then Ireland will go with them, no?.No benefit,and no downside so go ahead if you must
Old Oct 25th 2015, 11:52 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
.... There is no actual benefit unless you are anticipating the UK leaving the Euro Zone.but then Ireland will go with them, no?.No benefit,and no downside so go ahead if you must
The UK isn't in the Eurozone. For an Irish passport to have "freedom of movement" value, the UK would have to leave the European Economic Area as well as the EU, and that is a whole lot more unlikely, given that that isn't, so far as I understand it, what is on offer on the proposed ballot.

I sincerely doubt that if the UK leaves the European Onion it would have any impact on what Ireland does, except that as Ireland uses the Euro, they would, presumably, have to replace the euro and return to the punt.