Go Back   British Expats / Introduction / The Welcome Inn

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Nov 6th 2017, 4:45 pm   #1
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 1
Bird1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Hello Newbie here!

Hi there, first of all can I say thank you for letting me join your forum.

Myself, my partner and my 11 year old daughter are hoping to move to Puerto del Carmen next summer once the school year has finished.

My partner has been offered a job out there running a pub/club ( he's done it most of his adult life) I haven't got anything lined up as yet.
We are hoping to visit in February to see what is around work wise and accommodation (planning on renting initially) and schools etc.

Any information on what we need to do in order to move over there would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again for letting me join!
Bird1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th 2017, 5:00 pm   #2
old age pensioner
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Seaton
Posts: 20,836
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello Newbie here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird1982 View Post
Hi there, first of all can I say thank you for letting me join your forum.

Myself, my partner and my 11 year old daughter are hoping to move to Puerto del Carmen next summer once the school year has finished.

My partner has been offered a job out there running a pub/club ( he's done it most of his adult life) I haven't got anything lined up as yet.
We are hoping to visit in February to see what is around work wise and accommodation (planning on renting initially) and schools etc.

Any information on what we need to do in order to move over there would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again for letting me join!
Welcome to BE.

Please have a quick read of the site rules, beige bar at the top, and should you have any site related problems please contact one of out moderators, names in bold at the bottom of each forum page.

moving over couldn't be simpler, just load your car up and move, the UK will still be a member of the EU so you will still have freedom of movement. Please do not burn your bridges in the UK, many bars do not last that long making a profit, and it will be very long hours for little pay. Your biggest problem will be your daughter, she is a little old to start into Spanish state school unless she is already fluent, so you MAY need a private school, but they are quite expensive. Make sure your partner has a contracted job as that will allow the family to get treatment under the Spanish NHS.
mikelincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th 2017, 12:19 pm   #3
2Wings 
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 20
2Wings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello Newbie here!

Hi! I’m new as well and have a question about a spouse visa for the UK. Where may I direct this question? Sorry for my confusion. Thanks!
2Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th 2017, 2:04 pm   #4
old age pensioner
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Seaton
Posts: 20,836
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello Newbie here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wings View Post
Hi! I’m new as well and have a question about a spouse visa for the UK. Where may I direct this question? Sorry for my confusion. Thanks!
Welcome to BE.

Please take a few minutes to have a read of the forum rules, beige bar at the top, and should you have any site related problems please contact one of our very helpful moderators, names in bold at the bottom right of each forum page.

I see you have now found your way to the right forum for your question so I will leave you to it.
mikelincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:07 am   #5
dmu Female
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 6,430
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello Newbie here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
Welcome to BE.

Please have a quick read of the site rules, beige bar at the top, and should you have any site related problems please contact one of out moderators, names in bold at the bottom of each forum page.

moving over couldn't be simpler, just load your car up and move, the UK will still be a member of the EU so you will still have freedom of movement. Please do not burn your bridges in the UK, many bars do not last that long making a profit, and it will be very long hours for little pay. Your biggest problem will be your daughter, she is a little old to start into Spanish state school unless she is already fluent, so you MAY need a private school, but they are quite expensive. Make sure your partner has a contracted job as that will allow the family to get treatment under the Spanish NHS.
Not as simple as that, I discovered that this is on Lanzarote!
Have to agree re schooling for an 11-year-old. This is a bad age for being thrown in at the deep end in any European secondary school, unless the child speaks the language and knows a bit of the national culture. An international school would be advisable, but would the couple's income be sufficient to pay the fees and rent, and live a comfortable life...
Good point about the partner's job - if it's not contracted, they would have to take out private healthcare insurance.
The OP should post again in the Spain forum, where folk on the spot will be able to advise in more detail. The above applies to anywhere in Europe.
dmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Introduction / The Welcome Inn


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 2:53 am.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com