Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello from New York City Hotel!!

Hello from New York City Hotel!!

Old Jun 13th 2010, 7:52 am
Just Joined

soulbyte is just really nicesoulbyte is just really nicesoulbyte is just really nicesoulbyte is just really nicesoulbyte is just really nicesoulbyte is just really nicesoulbyte is just really nicesoulbyte is just really nice
Cool Hello from New York City Hotel!!

Hello everyone!

I'm Jenny, 30, relocating to NYC with my company from UK. L1A and L2 for husband were recently issued, and I'm now sat in a hotel on Times Square at 3am (still on UK time) about to commence the apartment hunt tomorrow (husband still holding down the fort in UK)!

I'll be working in midtown near rockefeller, and realllly want to live in Manhattan even though rent is $$$ (we can go up to $3500). The move is only a couple of years and we want to make the most of it (no kids!) I'm looking at FiDi tomorrow as it seems a bit more reasonable.

Any advice on areas would be much appreciated. We're not into mad night life but would like grocery stores, pub/bars, transport links to midtown rockefeller in the near vicinity!

Also, as we don't know anyone, what is the best way to get out there and meet people?

Thanks!

Jenny
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:15 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from New York City Hotel!!

Hi Jenny

Welcome to British Expats! Thanks for introducing yourself and telling us a little about yourself!

For answers to your more specific US questions go over to our USA FORUM where I'm sure some of our members will be able to help or at least point you in the right direction!

As for being in New York - personally very envious...Enjoy it!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:08 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by soulbyte
Hello everyone!

I'm Jenny, 30, relocating to NYC with my company from UK. L1A and L2 for husband were recently issued, and I'm now sat in a hotel on Times Square at 3am (still on UK time) about to commence the apartment hunt tomorrow (husband still holding down the fort in UK)!

I'll be working in midtown near rockefeller, and realllly want to live in Manhattan even though rent is $$$ (we can go up to $3500). The move is only a couple of years and we want to make the most of it (no kids!) I'm looking at FiDi tomorrow as it seems a bit more reasonable.

Any advice on areas would be much appreciated. We're not into mad night life but would like grocery stores, pub/bars, transport links to midtown rockefeller in the near vicinity!

Also, as we don't know anyone, what is the best way to get out there and meet people?

Thanks!

Jenny
Welcome to the Forum Jenny, Do check out the USA section I know that a few of the Members and a couple of the Mods live in the NY region.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:37 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome

Originally Posted by TestaRossa

As for being in New York - personally very envious...Enjoy it!
me too....one of my favourite places on earth. What a wonderful opportunity and it sounds like you are looking forward to making the most of it
Old Jun 13th 2010, 12:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone!

Thanks!

Jenny
Hi there Jenny and welcome.

Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. We have a great group of people who post in the US forums and there is usually someone around if you feel like a dose of British humour...or if you need help finding your feet in the Big Apple. Before you start posting please read the sticky threads that are at the top of this and the US forums index pages.

I live 30 miles due west of Manhattan and have been here for 14 years. We also came here on L1 (my husband), quickly changed to green cards and after many years decided to take the plunge and become US citizens.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a mod or admin. The mods for the US forums are Bob and Miss Elui. Although you can contact any mod or admin...there is usually one of us around 24/7. We do not have a Concierge appointed to the US forums at the moment so just give me a shout if you need any help finding your way around the many BE forums.

I look forward to seeing you around the US forums.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 1:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jenny

You're be working two blocks west of me in Manhattan. Lovely area to work in. Close to the theater district, museums and central park. I envy you living in the city.

Have a look at craigslist for apartments as well as using an agent. Rents are dropping a bit in the city due to the real estate downturn of late. As you are here in the city already run out and grab a copy of the New York Times and go through their very large real estate section. Excellent source for apartments.

Rete
Old Jun 13th 2010, 2:23 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask a question re Craigslist? How reliable is it in the US? I only ask as about half the postings in the Italy listings are fakes or some kind of scam...I know a number of people particularly in Rome who have been taken in by listings from people who aren't the owners, sometimes they have picked an apartment at random even!!! Hopefully this is not the case in the US!!
Old Jun 14th 2010, 2:08 am
Just Joined

FionaC will become famous soon enough

Hi Jenny,
Welcome to NYC, I hope you enjoy your time in the city. We moved here almost 2 years ago on an L1 (my hubby) and L2. We also don't have kids, so wanted to make the most of it by living in the city and chose the Upper East Side. It doesn't suit everybody, but it does us - it's got everything we want - bars, restaurants (without being too raucous), grocery stores (although they're not big and I find them very expensive!) and the park over on the East River is lovely and much quieter than Central Park. It's on the 4/5 & 6 subway line and you can change at 59th st or Grand Central to get to central mid-town easily enough -or, as I do - walk!

My husband's company paid for us to have a realtor when we first came over, so I looked up companies on the internet and just picked one. He showed me so many apartments I lost count, but it saved me a lot of work and I eventually chose something. We moved again last year as we decided we wanted to live in a high rise (we'd been in a walk-up). For that one I trawled the streets and made a note of buildings I liked the look of, then went home and checked out the internet. You can always ask the doorman who owns it if it's not obvious from the outside. A lot of them are owned by the same company and by making a call, they'll show you lots of things in your price range at their different buildings. By doing the donkey work yourself, you usually don't have to pay commission or extra costs, but as you don't have a credit history here, they may ask you for an extra deposit. Someone else on here has mentioned Craigs List, but personally I didn't trust any of them and the couple that I did ring turned out to be non-existent.

As for making new friends - well I've found that to be the most difficult thing about living here and have struggled. But, saying that, I'm not particulary outgoing and I do believe that you have to put yourself out there in order for it to happen. I've always been used to making friends via work, but that hasn't really been the case here, although I think to be honest that's more to do with where I work rather than the norm!!!

Again, wherever you end up, I hope you both enjoy NYC - it really is the most amazing city in the world and if you fancy meeting for a coffee sometime, feel free to contact me.
Fiona
Old Jun 14th 2010, 11:15 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

It must be daunting to do things like house hunting on your own in a Strange country.. welcome to the forum... it seems as if you may have found someone on your doorstep!
Old Jun 14th 2010, 12:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Can I ask a question re Craigslist? How reliable is it in the US? I only ask as about half the postings in the Italy listings are fakes or some kind of scam...I know a number of people particularly in Rome who have been taken in by listings from people who aren't the owners, sometimes they have picked an apartment at random even!!! Hopefully this is not the case in the US!!

The same here. While you might want to look at it for a hint of rental costs in an area you are looking at, I would be very very leery of renting from an ad.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

TaylorP15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Jenny,

Stuyvesant Town is the best place to rent in the city especially if you have a family. The community is located on the east side between 14th and 21st. All of the units recently became rent stabilized. There is probably great demand to get into the complex given the recent rent reductions. I would check it out sooner than later. The web site is stuytown.com.

You could also find apartments on Craig's List or work through a broker. Unfortunately, the broker will cost you a couple of grand. However, they will save you a great deal of time.

I met a rental broker named Gus Waite who seemed to be very knowledgable. He also has a car which makes it easier to look at apartments. <contact info removed--PM email address instead?>. I have not done any deals with him.

Good luck

Last edited by meauxna; Jun 15th 2010 at 6:41 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 2:33 am
Just Joined

soulbyte is just really nicesoulbyte is just really nicesoulbyte is just really nicesoulbyte is just really nicesoulbyte is just really nicesoulbyte is just really nicesoulbyte is just really nicesoulbyte is just really nice

Hi

Thanks for all the responses - very much appreciated!!

I have finally found somewhere (on the upper east side - 69th) - not cheap and only a 1 bed, but it was nice and will have to do for the next 12 months whilst I build up a credit history :-) Going to sign the lease next week as long as my new US bank account cheque book arrives in time !!!

Who wants to go out for coffee???

Jenny
Old Jun 21st 2010, 7:49 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks for all the responses - very much appreciated!!

I have finally found somewhere (on the upper east side - 69th) - not cheap and only a 1 bed, but it was nice and will have to do for the next 12 months whilst I build up a credit history :-) Going to sign the lease next week as long as my new US bank account cheque book arrives in time !!!

Who wants to go out for coffee???

Jenny
great news on the find. It may be only one bed but it will beat a hotel room.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Donna79 will become famous soon enoughDonna79 will become famous soon enough

Hi!

Good luck with everything, although I am very envious! I would give my right arm to be able to live and work in the States - I love it! Unfortunately I'm not there and am in western suburbs of Sydney, where I am finding it extremely difficult to find work!!!

Anyway congratulations, and I really hope you have a fantastic time.
Donna
x