Reload this Page >

Hello, new member, potential expat

Hello, new member, potential expat

Old Mar 27th 2013, 3:54 am
Just Joined

LondonorManila is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello, new member, potential expat

Hi All, I'm Geoff,

Just joined having found this most interesting & helpful site while searching about Philippines on Google.

I'm English, mid forties, worked & lived in London for more than 20 years now. Love it despite its downsides, but its expensive, especially for someone on low wages and who's partner is the other side of the world.

My boyfriend (now fiance) is in Manila, Philippines. We met online 2 years ago and 'got together' as a couple online just under 2 years ago now. I've been out to Manila for almost 3 weeks, Jan 2012, for us to meet and spend time together. But since wages in Manila are typically low compared to UK its down to me to fund trips etc, so just waiting to afford another visit hopefully by mid 2013. Want to get him to London for a trip, then to live with me, but know its going to be tough, especially after reading experiences of other men trying to get their wives here, could be even harder for me.

Even if I get him here, tempted to early retire, or at retirement age to move out with him to Manila where he can work & I can use money I will get from a share I have in a London flat, to buy a small but secure, upscale or luxury flat in one of Manila's better business districts, Makati, Ortigas or Bonifacio Global City (the Fort). That way we'll have our own place and wont have to pay out for rent or mortgage etc when only one of us may be working. I am doing much research into Manila property well in advance as it pays to be prepared. I've only been to Philippines once so far but if I can help or give advice to anyone planning to go there I will.

Look forward to meeting some of you on the forum especially Philippines section and been able to benefit from general help and advice as well as helping out too if I have the knowledge or contacts.

Last edited by LondonorManila; Mar 27th 2013 at 4:08 am.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 1:40 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello, new member, potential expat

Hi Geoff and welcome to the forum . Thanks for introducing yourself in the Welcome Inn.

Do check out the Philippines section on here and join in with some threads. We have quite a few residents in the 'Peens who post on here and should be able to help you out.

Don't blame you thinking about retirement. The Philippines has a great retirement visa. I'm sure you know about it but, if you don't, there's a Topic about it right at the top of the Philippines section.

Hope everything goes well with you and your partner
Old Mar 28th 2013, 2:03 am
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for the welcome. No I don't know too much about the retirement visa for Philippines but will check that section out soon. Already found may useful or encouraging posts before joining, so yes, will join in some threads in due course.
Thanks, take care, Geoff
Old Mar 28th 2013, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Hello, new member, potential expat

Welcome aboard Geoff

There is indeed nothing more important than having your own place whether in London or abroad and I wish you the best of luck to find it and be happy there

Karim
Old Mar 28th 2013, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the welcome
Old Mar 29th 2013, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Rosey1950 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, this is my first time on a forum. Am I in the right place to chat about moving to New Zealand?
Old Mar 29th 2013, 9:14 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rosey, this is the welcome Inn so just for introductions. Pop on over to the NZ forum and I'll see you there
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83

Originally Posted by Rosey1950
Hi, this is my first time on a forum. Am I in the right place to chat about moving to New Zealand?
Old Mar 31st 2013, 12:35 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary