Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

hello from new member

hello from new member

Old Oct 8th 2010, 7:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hello from new member

Originally Posted by penny k
Hi Meauxna,

He is Slovakian, living in Bratislava. I'm thinking after the other helpful posts that I will possibly go there for a while until I can educate myself on how all this might work. I will be working with someone with a website business, so I think that worrying about work visas shouldn't be a concern; I'm guessing I would just need to learn about how to rent and stay legally for long term. I'm only beginning to consider these things in detail now; it's a complete mystery to me.

We were married and living in the states and have not divorced. I stayed here for health reasons and he moved back to Bratislava.

Really appreciate all the thoughtfulness and advice from everyone on the site. These life changes are so important. I've always tried to help people out in the past and it's so nice now having so many people helping me in these little/HUGE ways. I could have been going into this blind with too many assumptions and ended up in a lot of trouble.

P.
I doubt if you can undertake any type of work...even electronically without a work visa...no matter where the company is located.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 8:36 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Meauxna,

He is Slovakian, living in Bratislava. I'm thinking after the other helpful posts that I will possibly go there for a while until I can educate myself on how all this might work. I will be working with someone with a website business, so I think that worrying about work visas shouldn't be a concern; I'm guessing I would just need to learn about how to rent and stay legally for long term. I'm only beginning to consider these things in detail now; it's a complete mystery to me.

We were married and living in the states and have not divorced. I stayed here for health reasons and he moved back to Bratislava.

Really appreciate all the thoughtfulness and advice from everyone on the site. These life changes are so important. I've always tried to help people out in the past and it's so nice now having so many people helping me in these little/HUGE ways. I could have been going into this blind with too many assumptions and ended up in a lot of trouble.

P.
Hi Penny, sorry I dropped off there for a bit. Anyway, there may be an in for you via a Slovakian residence permit (through your spouse). I looked briefly at these two webpages, which should get you started.

At least you have *a* shot at it, so many of us don't. I got my 'green card' (EU residence permit) through my marriage to a UK citizen, but we stayed in the one country where I got my permit. I don't know what the score is for moving countries inside the EU once you have that EEA permit.

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/c...y_requirements

http://www.mzv.sk/washington

The language is dense, and full of specialized meaning. Expect to have to read it over several times before it starts to truly make sense!

Good luck with your adventures.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

penny k is just really nicepenny k is just really nicepenny k is just really nicepenny k is just really nicepenny k is just really nicepenny k is just really nicepenny k is just really nicepenny k is just really nice

Hi Meauxna,

Things have evolved quickly the past few days and suddenly there is a great opportunity for housing in Bratislava and the international school has already assured me they can work within my budget for my son. His grandfather there died last week and it means a lot to his grandmother and father to have him there now.

The sites will be a great help. I can't tell you how much the help from everyone with British expats has meant to me.

Penny
Old Oct 11th 2010, 10:22 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Great news.
(well, not about Grandpa)
I hope you'll drop back and keep us posted on your move (I see you've found the Europe forum already). I'm one of the many Americans who read and post here.. you don't need to be British to be welcomed.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 12:58 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Meauxna,

Things have evolved quickly the past few days and suddenly there is a great opportunity for housing in Bratislava and the international school has already assured me they can work within my budget for my son. His grandfather there died last week and it means a lot to his grandmother and father to have him there now.

The sites will be a great help. I can't tell you how much the help from everyone with British expats has meant to me.

Penny
Hi Penny

Great news about the opportunity for you, sorry it came on the back of tragedy, but you have to take a chance when it presents itself.
Good luck with your move

Dread - x
Old Oct 12th 2010, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Meauxna,

Penny
Hi Penny,

My condolences on your family's loss. I wish you nothing but the best in your upcoming move.

Kaffy