Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello! New here! Looking for advice

Hello! New here! Looking for advice

Old Nov 19th 2015, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Claire_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello! New here! Looking for advice

Hello, I'm new to this and wondering how it all works! I would like to start a discussion to get advice on where best to move to overseas. Looking for English speaking country, somewhere I could get PR and somewhere nice Where / how can I start this discussion? Thanks!
Old Nov 19th 2015, 10:06 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello! New here! Looking for advice

Hello and welcome to the forum

Each country is different and has different visa rules, and you haven't mentioned your skills, qualifications, status, so.....what I am saying is that you will need to check out each individual country on the forum that you are interested in.

Go to the main index page and browse through. Some of the more "popular" countries have a separate Immigration and Visa section with that country forum eg USA, Australia, Canada NZ. Other English speaking countries....Singapore, Malaysia and others, just browse through the country forum and fire away some questions.

Happy planning
Old Nov 19th 2015, 10:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It is most likely to depend on what job/skills/qualifications you have and/or who you work for - perhaps they could transfer you overseas? Other possibilities might be based on if you already have family overseas, or have the capital to invest in buying and managing a business.

If you can tell us a little bit more about yourself and your circumstances, someone might be able to give you a few pointers.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

Hello! Thank you for your advice! I will have a look through the different countries mentioned.
Unfortunately only high school qualifications. Experience and skills wise; mainly in travel and tourism in several countries around Europe. Not got quite enough capital to invest just yet maybe one day!!
Thinking of maybe starting with a working holiday visa if that might lead on to residency? A lot of reading to do I guess! Just looking for my best option as approaching my 30th Birthday visas seem to become more difficult to get and want to chose my best option for eventually getting permanent residency.

Any and all advice welcome Thanks again!
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 6:01 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi there and welcome to BE.

A working holiday visa is a great way to spend time in a country and be able to fund that in part by working. This would not lead to any residency visa unless you have the skills, qualifications and work experience that the country needs and wants.

Age isn't necessarily what hampers the ability to emigrate. For New Zealand for example , you could be upward of over 50 but provided you have what the country needs and wants , you can gain residency.

It is more about skills , quals and work exp

What exactly did you have in mind please?
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure my qualifications (or lack of them) would help me much. Work experience wise just travel and tourism; again not sure that would help much. I was hoping that maybe using a working holiday visa to get some time / experience in the country would help count towards points toward getting residency. Maybe if I was lucky even find a company who would sponsor me?

I know of a few folk who have travelled with just a working hol visa and years later still there (Australia and NZ) so thought there must be someway.

Apparently there is always a way I just need to find it
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 7:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

How about studying abroad? It would be a good way to experice another country and get you some further education as well. I don't know what NZ or Oz are like, but the U.S. and Canada seem to require a degree for pretty much every job! Plus you'd make yourself much more likely to be eligible for a visa.

HTH, best of luck.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 7:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

What sort of travel and tourism.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Hi, yes studying overseas could be an option! I will look into this.

I've been working as an overseas holiday advisor then latterly a resort manager for a UK holiday company. This summer I will be working as a tour guide.

Thank for the replies! Any input / advice is very helpful. Thanks!
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 9:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Claire_
Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure my qualifications (or lack of them) would help me much. Work experience wise just travel and tourism; again not sure that would help much. I was hoping that maybe using a working holiday visa to get some time / experience in the country would help count towards points toward getting residency. Maybe if I was lucky even find a company who would sponsor me?

I know of a few folk who have travelled with just a working hol visa and years later still there (Australia and NZ) so thought there must be someway.

Apparently there is always a way I just need to find it
A working holiday visa for Australia - you'll need to be quick. Has to be before you hit 31.
And the max you can do on it is two years - in your case I suspect you wouldn't even get the 2nd year, because time will beat you. People who came on a WHV would only be still here in Aus if they qualified for another visa - either through their skills, or through marrying someone with Aussie citizenship or permanent residence.

Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection is the official site for visas - have a look at it and then pop into the Aussie forums with any questions
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Hi, yes time is flying by and I'm not getting any younger!! I think NZ offer a 23 month visa which you can get even if you turn 32 during it. That might be my best option but still a lot of research to do

Any other English speaking countries people would recommend other than NZ, Australia and Canada?

Thank again for the replies, really helpful
Old Nov 24th 2015, 10:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, yes time is flying by and I'm not getting any younger!! I think NZ offer a 23 month visa which you can get even if you turn 32 during it. That might be my best option but still a lot of research to do

Any other English speaking countries people would recommend other than NZ, Australia and Canada?

Thank again for the replies, really helpful
I personally would strike Canada off the list, just because it sounds like you want to move permanently, and it will be tougher to get a permanent visa if you haven't got any post-secondary education. Unless you go on a study permit and do a degree, as mentioned above.

I don't know what NZ or Oz are like for those without degrees, but they may be a better option unless you've got your heart set on Canada (but it don't sound as though you do).

Best of luck.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 10:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, yes time is flying by and I'm not getting any younger!! .... I think NZ offer a 23 month visa which you can get even if you turn 32 during it. That might be my best option but still a lot of research to do. ....

Thank again for the replies, really helpful. ....
It hasn't featured much in this thread, but without post-secondary education you can forget about the US because a degree is pretty much a requirement for any work-related visa.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 10:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I personally would strike Canada off the list, just because it sounds like you want to move permanently, and it will be tougher to get a permanent visa if you haven't got any post-secondary education. Unless you go on a study permit and do a degree, as mentioned above.

I don't know what NZ or Oz are like for those without degrees, but they may be a better option unless you've got your heart set on Canada (but it don't sound as though you do).

Best of luck.
A degree isn't essential as such, but most trades require some kind of qualification, usually mixed with experience.

Of course the easiest route into any of them is through marriage - try joining some international dating sites and see if you fall for someone from abroad
Old Nov 24th 2015, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana
A degree isn't essential as such, but most trades require some kind of qualification, usually mixed with experience.

Of course the easiest route into any of them is through marriage - try joining some international dating sites and see if you fall for someone from abroad
That would put the US back on the list.

Lots of Americans "just lurve" a British accent, .... even if it isn't considered attractive or desirable in the UK. Disclosure: I have the undiluted remnants of a Sheffield accent, and I still get compliments on my accent most weeks.