Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello my dear fellows

Hello my dear fellows

Old Aug 24th 2011, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

zippee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello my dear fellows

I am obviously British and am all set to marry my American boyfriend....I know about the marriage licence fees but what I want to know is there any other expenditure, what do we do afterwards to allow me to stay on a permanent basis having married in the USA and is there anything that is going to prevent us from marrying? I am currently staying in NYC under my ESTA which doesn't expire until Jan 2013

Thanks guys, your advice will be truly welcome
Old Aug 24th 2011, 7:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello my dear fellows

Originally Posted by zippee
I am obviously British and am all set to marry my American boyfriend....I know about the marriage licence fees but what I want to know is there any other expenditure, what do we do afterwards to allow me to stay on a permanent basis having married in the USA and is there anything that is going to prevent us from marrying? I am currently staying in NYC under my ESTA which doesn't expire until Jan 2013

Hello and welcome to BE. Congratulations on your forthcoming marriage.

I recommend that you repost your questions (giving details of your current US visa) in the US Marriage Based Visa forum...our members who post in that forum will help you out with your questions. Before you begin posting please read through the stickied threads that are posted at the top of the forum's index page.

I also suggest you take a look in the BE Wiki...there's lots of info in there. You may also like to take a look around the US Forums.

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

Any problems or concerns should be addressed to a mod or admin. The mods for the US Immigration forums are Noorah101, Bob, Avanutria, penguinsix and MsElui.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 13th 2011 at 7:51 pm. Reason: add new mods
Old Aug 24th 2011, 8:17 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Your post screams a fundamental misunderstanding of US immigration issues. Plenty of reading necessary in the wiki and US marriage and immigration forums needed. Welcome BTW.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 3:06 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

please go and speak to an immigration lawyer as you could make things very hard for yourself if you make some missteps alog the way. It can be done fairly painlessly if you follow the rules.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 5:10 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 25th 2011, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Rosemary
Old Aug 25th 2011, 6:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Rosemary
Zippee...please heed what others have said. From what you have told us you need immigration advice...failing to do so could land you in hot water with US Immigration. For instance...what do you mean by 'I am currently staying in NYC under my ESTA which doesn't expire until Jan 2013'. Your ESTA application may not expire until 2013 but it doesn't allow you to stay in the US until that date. Unless you have a US visa you can only stay in the US for a maximum of 90 days.

Please repost in the US Immigration forum using the link I gave you in my post #2 and/or consult with an immigration lawyer.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 6:55 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

On the bright side, she's not going to Florida.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Ok guys....not to panic....I know about the 90 day rule of the esta...am in the processes of making an appointment with the consulate here in NYC and have got in touch with an attorney....as we are engaged I shall be applying for a K-1 visa....thanks for your interest; after all, if you don't ask people you never find out the 'do's and don'ts' and just wind up in trouble which is why, I believe, I joined this forum in the first place
Old Aug 25th 2011, 7:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Ok guys....not to panic....I know about the 90 day rule of the esta...am in the processes of making an appointment with the consulate here in NYC and have got in touch with an attorney....as we are engaged I shall be applying for a K-1 visa....thanks for your interest; after all, if you don't ask people you never find out the 'do's and don'ts' and just wind up in trouble which is why, I believe, I joined this forum in the first place

What consulate in NYC?
Old Aug 25th 2011, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

At 845, Third Ave, NY, NY 10022....and they have just given me the number for USCIS
Old Aug 25th 2011, 8:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

At 845, Third Ave, NY, NY 10022....and they have just given me the number for USCIS
Ah...OK...I was wondering why you had made an appointment with the UK consulate in NYC.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 25th 2011 at 8:28 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 8:21 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

and they have just given me the number for USCIS
If it's the 1-800 number, it's popularly known here as the misinformation line. Do not act on anything they tell you without a second opinion.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks....waiting to hear from attorney anyway...