British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Hello - Looking for info on working in Canada. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/hello-looking-info-working-canada-823370/)

hunter40 Jan 30th 2014 10:24 am

Hello - Looking for info on working in Canada.

Hi everyone , my Name is Dave from Gloucester UK , found this site while looking for info on working in Canada.
Myself and a work friend (Paul) would like to come over as a driving team and see what life is all about ! im in a relationship but she lives 5000 miles away and paul is single so no ties to hold us back ... i hope to have some good banter and learn a few things as i dont have a clue what is involved ! although Paul was talking to a company there who his friend drives (drove) for but i think that has gone bad as his friend came home for holiday went back and they have no truck for him ... dropped him right in it , so feel we may give them a miss !
Anyway thats the basics , hope all here are doing well
Regards dave

christmasoompa Jan 30th 2014 10:39 am

Re: Hello

Originally Posted by hunter40 (Post 11104119)
Hi everyone , my Name is Dave from Gloucester UK , found this site while looking for info on working in Canada.
Myself and a work friend (Paul) would like to come over as a driving team and see what life is all about ! im in a relationship but she lives 5000 miles away and paul is single so no ties to hold us back ... i hope to have some good banter and learn a few things as i dont have a clue what is involved ! although Paul was talking to a company there who his friend drives (drove) for but i think that has gone bad as his friend came home for holiday went back and they have no truck for him ... dropped him right in it , so feel we may give them a miss !
Anyway thats the basics , hope all here are doing well
Regards dave

Hi, and welcome to BE.

This Wiki article may be useful reading - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Truck_Driving_in_Canada

Good luck with it, maybe see you in the Canada forums soon.

bakedbean Jan 30th 2014 12:08 pm

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum :)

couplelooking4answers Jan 31st 2014 5:25 pm

Hello there and welcome! :)

hmac Feb 1st 2014 6:40 pm

Hello. Good luck.

Rosemary Feb 2nd 2014 9:23 am

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary

neilcumming Feb 2nd 2014 5:39 pm

Hi Dave,Im a truck driver ,came over to Canada in 2007.All depends on where in Canada you want to go.I suppose you are thinking of same place where your friend is..Have you done team driving before?Do you just want to work on a temp. work permit or thinking more long term,like gaining permanent residency?

hunter40 Feb 4th 2014 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by neilcumming (Post 11109388)
Hi Dave,Im a truck driver ,came over to Canada in 2007.All depends on where in Canada you want to go.I suppose you are thinking of same place where your friend is..Have you done team driving before?Do you just want to work on a temp. work permit or thinking more long term,like gaining permanent residency?

Hi and thanks for all replies ... very nice of you !
I think things have changed a little so better i post on the regular forum.

hunter40 Feb 5th 2014 12:54 am

haha after looking im not sure where else to reply better so will do it here for now

neilcumming Feb 5th 2014 1:05 am

Originally Posted by hunter40 (Post 11113857)
haha after looking im not sure where else to reply better so will do it here for now

There is a Working Abroad forum with a trucking thread,maybe better to start a new thread there.I can help you but need more info.

hunter40 Feb 5th 2014 1:08 am

ok ... so my driving buddy just had a truck crash , not his fault a caar hit his truck at around 65miles an hour pushing the front drivers wheel under truck and through fuel tank , he is very shook up and i really think he will back out of going to canada ... so now i will try look into it for myself as solo driver .... yes i have driven as team before running to Italy from uk ... it can be hard as need to get used to each others habits and learn to sleep as truck being drivem by someone else ... that was hardest for me as we had bunks over cab and i was always thinking ... what if he hits bridge or something ? so i was very tired haha
i have sent an email askin H&R if they were taking on teams as i saw an advert saying they were but never got a reply yet so i dont think they are. taking on.
As for working as temp or permanent im not sure yet , i have a girlfriend in Philippines and would like her to come over to, but not sure if thats allowed and at what cost and many other things .
As a team my driving mate was in contact with Challenger and they were going to take us on he said but after they gave his mates job away as he came back to uk for holiday im not sure if i want to go there ... that said he was in contact so maybe i should contact them myself.
if im going to do it i would rather come sooner than later as im now 55 nearly 56 and want to get this happening !... must say i never act my age but do any of us ? haha
so any suggestions just throw them at me !
Thanks all and i will look more at site and see best place to post in future!
regards Dave

hunter40 Feb 5th 2014 1:13 am

sorry Neil i just saw your reply as i posted this ! i will look into that now ... thanks
sorry about all the spelling mistakes in last post ... will try remember to check before posting in future !

neilcumming Feb 5th 2014 1:38 am

Originally Posted by hunter40 (Post 11113870)
ok ... so my driving buddy just had a truck crash , not his fault a caar hit his truck at around 65miles an hour pushing the front drivers wheel under truck and through fuel tank , he is very shook up and i really think he will back out of going to canada ... so now i will try look into it for myself as solo driver .... yes i have driven as team before running to Italy from uk ... it can be hard as need to get used to each others habits and learn to sleep as truck being drivem by someone else ... that was hardest for me as we had bunks over cab and i was always thinking ... what if he hits bridge or something ? so i was very tired haha
i have sent an email askin H&R if they were taking on teams as i saw an advert saying they were but never got a reply yet so i dont think they are. taking on.
As for working as temp or permanent im not sure yet , i have a girlfriend in Philippines and would like her to come over to, but not sure if thats allowed and at what cost and many other things .
As a team my driving mate was in contact with Challenger and they were going to take us on he said but after they gave his mates job away as he came back to uk for holiday im not sure if i want to go there ... that said he was in contact so maybe i should contact them myself.
if im going to do it i would rather come sooner than later as im now 55 nearly 56 and want to get this happening !... must say i never act my age but do any of us ? haha
so any suggestions just throw them at me !
Thanks all and i will look more at site and see best place to post in future!
regards Dave

Challenger are based in Ontario and in that province truck drivers dont qualify for PR ,the way foreign drivers get around it is the wives apply for PR,so I would suggest looking at going to AB,MB or SK if you are a single driver,who knows you may want to apply for PR in the future.There are lots of companies doing LMOs ,you need to search for them online.H&R are one ,if they didnt reply your email then call them.Bison is another big company who do LMOs .I 1st came over to Canada on "recce" trip ,I went and spoke with Westcan and H&R but ended up in Winnipeg ,mainly because the housing was cheaper but the downside is the winters are brutal!I did team for a few weeks never liked it,prefer driving solo.Canada has a lot of filipino immigrant workers ,mainly low paid jobs and health care workers ,maybe your gf could get a temp work visa also,you would have to find out about it yourself as I couldnt advise on that.

hunter40 Feb 5th 2014 2:00 am

Thanks Neil i will work out time difference and call H&R its not drastic gf comes over even though it would be good to see more of her , we have a place we are builidng in Philippines and she has stuff to do so i can holiday back there until we know how things are going.
more important to get decent job for decent company then grow things from that and see where we go .
Thanks again mate

christmasoompa Feb 6th 2014 6:44 am

Re: Hello - Looking for info on working in Canada.

As you don't live with your gf, she couldn't go on your visa application so would need a visa in her own right to live in Canada. Do note that getting a visitor visa for Canada can be very tricky for Filipinos, so you'd need to be prepared to visit her if you want to see her. It may be that a work visa is possible though, what does she do?

If you've got any other visa related questions, then to start a thread in the right place you just need to click on the main forum page, then click on 'Canada' and then the sub forum 'Immigration'. Any general Canada related queries should be put in the Canada forum.

HTH and hope to see you over there!