Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello - Looking for info on Australia

Hello - Looking for info on Australia

Old Aug 12th 2011, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Crookiem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello - Looking for info on Australia

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and just want to say hi, my name is Matt, I'm trying to get some more info on weather I would get a visa to Australia as I would like to emigrate with my family to your wonderful country.
I'm a carpenter but have no written qualification, I started working for my brother who owned his own joinery firm here in England, I continued to work for him and worked through a old school apprenticeship, working alongside a number of different members of staff and gain a whole array of knowledge in the 7 years I worked there, I have worked in all the areas of the carpentry trade and finally settled into my final role as head kitchen fitter, unfortunately the company went bust and I have no qualifications or references other than a letter I could get my brother to write. I went alone and become a self employed carpenter, kitchen fitter, running my own property renovation and refurbishment company for the last 9 years, it has been a successful company and I have sailed through the rough and the smooth, I have a good client base and good portfolio of work.
My concerns are weather I would be granted a visa and be able to work in Australia?
Where would be best to gain a job in a company doing similar work as I do right now, I'm thinking Perth?
Sorry to go on a bit, hope someone out there maybe able to help.
Thanks
Matt
Old Aug 12th 2011, 9:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. We have several excellent Australia Forums. The people who frequent the forums are very helpful...if you repost your questions in the Aus forum they will do their best to help you.

If you have any questions about visas or the actual immigration process please post them in the Australia Immigration Forum. We have a great bunch of people who post in our Australia Forums...they will give you tips and advice on life Down Under. The link I have given you will take you to the main index page of the Australia Forum...at the top of the page you will see a list of sub forums. The top forum is the Immigration Forum...the Main forum is for topics relating to Australia and The Barbie is for general chit chat. Also take a look in the BE Wiki...you'll find loads of useful info in there.

You may also be interested in our Working Abroad by Profession Forum.

Before you begin posting please take time to read through the Site Rules and any stickied threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of each forum's index page.

Kelli28 and Alistair Boyle are the concierges for the Australia forums...so if you have any problems finding your way around our many forums please contact Kelli or Alistair.

For all other concerns or problems please contact a moderator or admin. The mods for the Australia forums are...Cresta57, Monneypenny20,, Sonlymewalter and Alfresco.

I hope you enjoy your time with us and please shout out should you require help with anything. Good luck.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 6:10 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello - Looking for info on Australia

Hi Matt and Welcome to B.E.

As well as the links that jerseygirl has provided, the best place to start is here: http://www.immi.gov.au/ the Australian immigration department website.

Have a look too at the immigration section of the Australia forum on B.E. and if you like you can repost (copy and paste might be easiest) your first post into that forum where people with knowledge and experience are more likely to read it.

Thanks for posting in the Weclome Inn first.

Enjoy B.E and good luck.

Alistair.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:52 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 14th 2011, 5:36 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Matt

Welcome to BE fom me too.
God luck with your quest for going down under.

Dread - x
Old Aug 14th 2011, 6:32 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Matt

Welcome to BE fom me too.
God luck with your quest for going down under.

Dread - x
Old Aug 14th 2011, 11:46 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Matt welcome to BE
Old Sep 12th 2011, 6:57 pm

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crookiem
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and just want to say hi, my name is Matt, I'm trying to get some more info on weather I would get a visa to Australia as I would like to emigrate with my family to your wonderful country.
I'm a carpenter but have no written qualification, I started working for my brother who owned his own joinery firm here in England, I continued to work for him and worked through a old school apprenticeship, working alongside a number of different members of staff and gain a whole array of knowledge in the 7 years I worked there, I have worked in all the areas of the carpentry trade and finally settled into my final role as head kitchen fitter, unfortunately the company went bust and I have no qualifications or references other than a letter I could get my brother to write. I went alone and become a self employed carpenter, kitchen fitter, running my own property renovation and refurbishment company for the last 9 years, it has been a successful company and I have sailed through the rough and the smooth, I have a good client base and good portfolio of work.
My concerns are weather I would be granted a visa and be able to work in Australia?
Where would be best to gain a job in a company doing similar work as I do right now, I'm thinking Perth?
Sorry to go on a bit, hope someone out there maybe able to help.
Thanks
Matt
Hello Matt,

And welcome. I happened to have had papers to fall back on —mostly from the Army— although I don't know they'd count for a thing today. I've worked for years although originally, hired largely because ‘I could do the job’, the papers were ancillary. However, I realise times have changed.

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to seek professional guidance in the matter, maybe even a solicitor or someone in administration at a polytechnic —equivalencies and credits can be granted— apprenticeships are not without value that one should be able to have recognised. I know of someone who did the same, and actually parleyed it into a degree.

Good luck with Oz,
Best,
Christian
Old Sep 13th 2011, 4:01 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

All the best, Matt. Happy Planning