Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello everyone! Wife of Expat.

Hello everyone! Wife of Expat.

Old May 12th 2011, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Swimming pool chap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello everyone! Wife of Expat.

When I lived in London as a child (1960's) I went on holiday (vacation) to a dairy farm in Bedfordshire The farmers wife placed a large bowl of full cream milk in the fridge, left overnight, next day she skimmed off the clotted cream...

It was the first time I had scones ,home made jam and clotted cream... It was in the afternoon, after we got the hay in... Yummy!
Old May 12th 2011, 8:54 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Karma for that. This is by far the best and truest post that I have ever read on BE.

You cannot tell that I am from Devon can you??????????

Rosemary
Your not one of those Ivor Dewnie fans are you?
Old May 12th 2011, 9:25 am
Mad Moo plus 2

Maddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Swimming pool chap
When I lived in London as a child (1960's) I went on holiday (vacation) to a dairy farm in Bedfordshire The farmers wife placed a large bowl of full cream milk in the fridge, left overnight, next day she skimmed off the clotted cream...

It was the first time I had scones ,home made jam and clotted cream... It was in the afternoon, after we got the hay in... Yummy!
Sounds yummy. If it's that easy I am going to find the nearest dairy farm to me and get some unpasturised stuff in the fridge this weekend.

Anyone any first hand experience in the mechanics of making clotted cream?
Old May 12th 2011, 1:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone who is interested I seem to remember that someone posted details of how to make clotted cream in the Recipe Thread.
Old May 12th 2011, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

AmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Oddities
ONLY TWO; you should be totally ashamed of yourself for being so mean to yourself!!!!!

Rosemary
Actually two proper containers from Devon and the other 2 or 3 were from Tesco. Oh goodness, this is making me hungry again thinking about the goodness!
Old May 12th 2011, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

AmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Kia ora Amy & welcome to BE. I do wish people would stop talking about British food though. Now I want scones with strawberry jam & clotted cream too

No chance of getting clotted cream or even double cream in New Zealand . Given that the dairy industry is probably one of our biggest industries, it always amazes me that dairy products are so expensive here & that there's such a lack of choice.

Anyway, enough of my wee rant, happy posting Amy
Thank you so very much for the nice welcome! By the way, I have a New Zealand All Blacks jersey because that is who I support.

We are not supposed to buy fresh milk unpasteurized. There was something on the news about some dairy farm up north that people were buying fresh milk from and the Department of Agriculture was making a fuss. How do they think people had milk back in the old days? I will agree with you that we have a lack of choice too, especially the area that I live.

The clotted cream..............oh how tasty. We can buy clotted cream in jars here, but only through ordering from a British Grocer, but it doesn't taste like the real stuff. I think it has a much longer expiration date than the real clotted cream has.

I'm so happy that I've found this forum. Wish I would have found it a long time ago.
Old May 12th 2011, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Swimming pool chap

Just rub it in! Must have been fantastic!
Old May 12th 2011, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
For anyone who is interested I seem to remember that someone posted details of how to make clotted cream in the Recipe Thread.
Thank you Jersey Girl! I shall pull that up IMMEDIATELY!
Old May 13th 2011, 8:45 am
Mad Moo plus 2

Maddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of light

OK have receipe from Step Mummy in Devon.....I shall video my efforts and post on Monday. If I don't you know I sufficiently food poisened myself and the family!
Old May 13th 2011, 10:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maddyjvn
OK have receipe from Step Mummy in Devon.....I shall video my efforts and post on Monday. If I don't you know I sufficiently food poisened myself and the family!
Please post it in the Recipe Thread in The Lounge forum.
Old May 13th 2011, 10:28 am
Mad Moo plus 2

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Please post it in the Recipe Thread in The Lounge forum.
I will if it works...otherwise the shame LOL
Old May 13th 2011, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Maddyjvn;9361671]OK have receipe from Step Mummy in Devon.....I shall video my efforts and post on Monday. If I don't you know I sufficiently food poisened myself and the family![/QUOT

Old May 13th 2011, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyM73
The clotted cream..............oh how tasty. We can buy clotted cream in jars here, but only through ordering from a British Grocer, but it doesn't taste like the real stuff. I think it has a much longer expiration date than the real clotted cream has.
It doesn't have that crusty bit on the top
Old May 13th 2011, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It doesn't have that crusty bit on the top
So true. Don't you just love the scent of clothed cream when you first open the package? It is forever until next year until I can get more!!!! My clocks don't tick fast enough.
Old May 13th 2011, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyM73
So true. Don't you just love the scent of clothed cream when you first open the package? It is forever until next year until I can get more!!!! My clocks don't tick fast enough.

Welcome anyway

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.