Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello Everyone - Planning to move to Canada

Hello Everyone - Planning to move to Canada

Old Feb 1st 2011, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

carlrich is just really nicecarlrich is just really nicecarlrich is just really nicecarlrich is just really nicecarlrich is just really nicecarlrich is just really nicecarlrich is just really nicecarlrich is just really nice
Default Hello Everyone - Planning to move to Canada

Hello All,

I've lurked in the shadows on these forums for a month or two, but thought it's about time I emerge from the darkness and say Hi, so................Hi!

My wife and I are planning to move to Canada, not sure when exactly but I guess when everything is sorted out.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 11:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello Everyone - Planning to move to Canada

Originally Posted by carlrich
Hello All,

I've lurked in the shadows on these forums for a month or two, but thought it's about time I emerge from the darkness and say Hi, so................Hi!

My wife and I are planning to move to Canada, not sure when exactly but I guess when everything is sorted out.

Hi there and welcome to the BE.

If you've been reading the forums for a while you probably know your way around the site quite well...but just in case you don't...if you click on this link it will direct you to the index page of the main Canada forum. At the top of the page you will see a list of sub forums...the top one being the Immigration Forum. Any questions relating specifically to the immigration process should be posted there. The main forum is for topics relating to Canada and the Maple Leaf is for general chatter. We have a lively group of posters...so you should get many helpful answers to your questions. Please take a few moments to read any sticky threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of each forum's index page.

The BE Wiki is a great source of information...I recommend you take a read through the Canada section.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid and The Aviator are concierges for the Canada forums...they will be act as your BE tour guides to help you find your way around.

For any other questions, problems or concerns please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa...although any mod or admin will be pleased to help you.

Please give me a shout if you need any help.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:28 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All,

So pleased you have come out of lurk mode and are joining the party. I'm sure you will enjoy getting stuck in and interacting with anyone. Don't forget there are plenty of us around if you ever have any site questions.

Welcome, welcome.

Sue
Old Feb 5th 2011, 12:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Carlrich & welcome to BE

Just want to wish you good luck with your plans. I would love to visit Canada, may just get around it one of these days
Old Feb 5th 2011, 1:40 am
Just Joined

carlrich is just really nicecarlrich is just really nicecarlrich is just really nicecarlrich is just really nicecarlrich is just really nicecarlrich is just really nicecarlrich is just really nicecarlrich is just really nice

Thank you for the welcomes and thank you for the great website,wiki and forums. Lot's of valuable information
Old Feb 5th 2011, 1:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the welcomes and thank you for the great website,wiki and forums. Lot's of valuable information
Where in Canada are you hoping to move to? I'm familiar with the Toronto area...but that's about it.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 2:03 am
Just Joined

Well we are not looking at Toronto as such, but we would like to move to Brockville which is about 300 km East of Toronto
Old Mar 29th 2011, 3:53 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Well we are not looking at Toronto as such, but we would like to move to Brockville which is about 300 km East of Toronto
What brings you to Brockville?

I grew up in Brockville and have just moved back here to settle down with my family. If there's anything you want to know just ask.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 4:40 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Carlrich

Welcome to BE from me to and good luck with your plans

Dread - x
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by comet555
What brings you to Brockville?

I grew up in Brockville and have just moved back here to settle down with my family. If there's anything you want to know just ask.
Well from a geographical point of view it's perfect for us as it's within driving distance to Ottawa, Toronto and more importantly for us Sherbrooke (we have a close friend who lives there).

I hope you do realise now that i'll be bombarding you with questions!
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 2:01 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Well from a geographical point of view it's perfect for us as it's within driving distance to Ottawa, Toronto and more importantly for us Sherbrooke (we have a close friend who lives there).

I hope you do realise now that i'll be bombarding you with questions!
Those are some of the reasons we moved back here as well. Besides the fact that my family lives here, it's only an hour from Ottawa and about 3 hours to Toronto. Kingston is also only 45 minutes away. Another big plus is that there are two bridges to the US only about 15-20 minutes on either side of Brockville. When I was little we used to drive the boat over the river to the states and have lunch. The thousand islands are lovely, although are a bit more concentrated towards Ganonoque. Charleston Lake is great too in the summer (about 30 min away).

So the location is great. It's also common practice to drive over the border to Syracuse (2 hours away) and catch flights to the US as they're domestic flights and cheaper that way.

I didn't know where Sherbrooke was but it appears to be about 3 or 3.5 hours away. It takes 2 hours to drive to Montreal, which is also nice.

My husband love hockey so when he realized how close he was to all the different NHL teams he loved it. I think there are 4 within about a 4 hours drive. Plus they have car racing, tennis and golf in the major cities around us too (he likes sports!).

So, there are lots of pluses. The housing is relatively cheap compared to everywhere else we've been. If you go just outside of Brockville then it gets even cheaper. We live 15 minutes from town and got a 7 year old 5 bedroom house on 7 acres for just under $300,000. So the farther out you go the cheaper it is. I don't consider 15 minutes to be a long drive but the locals do! It can get a bit annoying though with kids in sports and stuff in town, but the trade off for all the space is worth it (in my opinion). Even still, the houses in town are decently priced and fairly stable in value.

There are always positives and negative to every place and Brockville is no different. The cheaper houses kind of goes along with cheaper wages. Although it's fairly common to commute to Ottawa or Kingston.

Feel free to ask lots of questions. When we moved to Australia I found a fellow Canadian that had already moved there and she was king enough to answer all my questions so I'm happy to do the same. It really does help having someone in the area to be able to ask questions of. You can ask on here, or PM me if you like.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 11:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by comet555
Those are some of the reasons we moved back here as well. Besides the fact that my family lives here, it's only an hour from Ottawa and about 3 hours to Toronto. Kingston is also only 45 minutes away. Another big plus is that there are two bridges to the US only about 15-20 minutes on either side of Brockville. When I was little we used to drive the boat over the river to the states and have lunch. The thousand islands are lovely, although are a bit more concentrated towards Ganonoque. Charleston Lake is great too in the summer (about 30 min away).

So the location is great. It's also common practice to drive over the border to Syracuse (2 hours away) and catch flights to the US as they're domestic flights and cheaper that way.

I didn't know where Sherbrooke was but it appears to be about 3 or 3.5 hours away. It takes 2 hours to drive to Montreal, which is also nice.

My husband love hockey so when he realized how close he was to all the different NHL teams he loved it. I think there are 4 within about a 4 hours drive. Plus they have car racing, tennis and golf in the major cities around us too (he likes sports!).

So, there are lots of pluses. The housing is relatively cheap compared to everywhere else we've been. If you go just outside of Brockville then it gets even cheaper. We live 15 minutes from town and got a 7 year old 5 bedroom house on 7 acres for just under $300,000. So the farther out you go the cheaper it is. I don't consider 15 minutes to be a long drive but the locals do! It can get a bit annoying though with kids in sports and stuff in town, but the trade off for all the space is worth it (in my opinion). Even still, the houses in town are decently priced and fairly stable in value.

There are always positives and negative to every place and Brockville is no different. The cheaper houses kind of goes along with cheaper wages. Although it's fairly common to commute to Ottawa or Kingston.

Feel free to ask lots of questions. When we moved to Australia I found a fellow Canadian that had already moved there and she was king enough to answer all my questions so I'm happy to do the same. It really does help having someone in the area to be able to ask questions of. You can ask on here, or PM me if you like.
These days it tends to be not what you know but who you know, so thanks for the great information, it's much appreciated. To save clogging up the forums with our questions I shall send you a PM.

Thanks again.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Hello Again,

I went AWOL from the forums as sadly due to family troubles we had to put our plan to move to Canada on hold.

The troubles have now been resolved and our plan and now continue
Old Mar 31st 2012, 2:23 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 31st 2012, 2:39 pm
Canuck/Aussie

The troubles have now been resolved and our plan and now continue
When are you thinking about moving over? Have you got a visa sorted out yet?

Are you still planning on the Brockville area or have you decided on somewhere different?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.