Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello from Bulgaria!

Hello from Bulgaria!

Old Mar 2nd 2017, 7:14 am
Just Joined

carriemc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello from Bulgaria!

Stumbled across this forum to day and thought I would join in the chat.
I am originally from Scotland but moved to Bulgaria almost 5 years ago.
Happy to chat to anyone thinking of moving here, already here or anywhere really!
Caroline
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Location: Black Country, UK (soon to be mainlane Europe I hope)
yamyamsam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello from Bulgaria!

Hi Caroline - where are you in Bulgaria?

What drawn you to moving there?

I have looked at properties there (being nosey) and my gosh they are cheap, and the nature their is beautiful.

My parents friends have moved there, but all they seem to do is drink and smoke on the cheap living in a bad house!
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 3:01 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carriemc
Happy to chat to anyone thinking of moving here, already here or anywhere really!
Caroline
Hi Caroline and a very warm welcome to BE.

Scotland to Bulgaria, wow! I must follow your posts and learn a bit about the country, my knowledge of Bulgaria is close to zero. Very good to have you here.

I see you've already found your way to the Europe forum, you obviously have a great sense of direction! As a new member could you please have a look at the BE site rules when you get a spare minute, and if you run into any site related problems please contact one of our friendly moderators, whose names are in the lower right hand corner of each forum index page. Cheers!
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

I live in the Yambol area - about 23km out of town in a really nice, if quiet, village. I have a good house although it wasn't when I first bought it lol. Now got all the comforts of home - central heating, double glazing etc. etc.
House are cheap here but not as cheap as they were, especially if you go for a good house in a decent village with good infrastructure.
Lots of expats don't do much here but drink and smoke lol - think that is the expat disease the world over.
I didn't do anything for a year when I first moved over - had been holidaying for 10 years here prior to that - but ended up getting bored so now run a rental agency. Don't want to work too hard but get too bored if I don't.
Not quite sure what drew me to Bulgaria, had looked at France and Spain but nothing really took my fancy. Felt really at home here although it is a world away from Scotland.
Caroline
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the welcome. I have already had a look at the site rules and will do my best not to infringe the rules.
Used to be an avid follower of the old Bulgarian forums that were although not many still exist as its all about Facebook now lol!
Don't hesitate to give me a smack on the wrist if I inadvertently break any rules.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 4:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to break the rules, as there are so few of them ;-) We aim to make the forums friendly and welcoming to one and all. If there are controversial topics that members which to discuss, albeit argument about, they can use the Take It Outside Forum.

Enjoy your stay with us. Every little bit of information you can provide to newbies to your area will be a godsend.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Happy to help anyone that I can if they are thinking of moving to Bulgaria. Been here a few years now, seen lots come & go.
Any questions re the area I live, the country, the culture - just fire away!
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Bulgaria for many years. Still have links there, I am reminded that 3 March is tomorrow ! Liberation Day !
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 2:35 am
Just Joined

Hello Hamish - remember me lol!
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Carrie lives in that aree of Bulgaria which first saw the wave of British settlement 15 years ago- Yambol and especially Elhovo and Granitovo. An enterprising Bulgarian spotted that there was a market for reasonably-priced village properties that he could market to newcomers to Bulgaria. I was based in the North East (the Dobruja) and then in Shumen. We had a sprinkling of British settlers. Some have stayed - and outlasted me.

Last edited by scot47; Mar 3rd 2017 at 2:02 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Seen loads come & go.
For the past year been getting waves of expats from Turkey, mainly due to the political climate, cost of living increases and bank interest rates dropping. They appear mainly to settle in V.T. area although some have now moved from there to this area as weather in winter so much worse up there. On saying that we have had a pretty hard winter this year with a lot of snow. They say it was the worst since the 60s. On saying that Spring in now springing in all its beauty and I saw my first stork this morning!
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 2:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Scott and Carrie

Since this is the welcome inn, may I suggest that perhaps you might take this conversation into the Bulgarian forum.

Glad you both have hooked up and apparently know each other. Have fun.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Sorry didn't check which forum I was on...newbie mistake!
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 9:30 pm
Concierge

Not a problem
Old Mar 4th 2017, 6:58 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carriemc
Caroline
Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.