British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Hello from Belgium (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/hello-belgium-798946/)

Slacker77 Jun 3rd 2013 10:35 am

Hello from Belgium

Hello everyone,

Me and my wife, Kate, moved to Belgium just coming up to 2 years ago this summer. Kate was about 7-8 months pregnant with our now 2nd daughter, who was born here, so is a true Brussel Sprout. My eldest daughter is over 4 now. This has been our first ex-pat assignment. I've come to understand that doing an assignment from the UK to Belgium/Brussels/Tervuren (where the British school is located) is really a fairly easy assignment. Although the official languages are French and Dutch/Flemish, 99% of people speak excellent English. It hasn't stopped me trying to formally learn a bit of Dutch and Kate is brushing up on her French. My eldest goes into the bi-lingual stream next year. We love it here and have signed up for another year at least (before then making a decision about localisation). I was amazed not to find a section here for Belgium as the place is flooded with British Expats, so I thought I'd register and make a couple of posts.....and here's my first :p

Joe

dmu Jun 3rd 2013 11:35 am

Re: Hello from Belgium

Originally Posted by Slacker77 (Post 10738295)
Hello everyone,

Me and my wife, Kate, moved to Belgium just coming up to 2 years ago this summer. Kate was about 7-8 months pregnant with our now 2nd daughter, who was born here, so is a true Brussel Sprout. My eldest daughter is over 4 now. This has been our first ex-pat assignment. I've come to understand that doing an assignment from the UK to Belgium/Brussels/Tervuren (where the British school is located) is really a fairly easy assignment. Although the official languages are French and Dutch/Flemish, 99% of people speak excellent English. It hasn't stopped me trying to formally learn a bit of Dutch and Kate is brushing up on her French. My eldest goes into the bi-lingual stream next year. We love it here and have signed up for another year at least (before then making a decision about localisation). I was amazed not to find a section here for Belgium as the place is flooded with British Expats, so I thought I'd register and make a couple of posts.....and here's my first :p

Joe

Hi, and welcome to the Forum! I see that you have posted in the Europe Section, which is the place for questions on Belgium as there isn't a dedicated forum. On the other hand, there must be plenty of Belgian BE members! If you can change the title of your thread to include the word Belgium, then they will see it directly!;)

bakedbean Jun 3rd 2013 2:18 pm

Hi slacker and welcome to the mad house. Great to hear you're enjoying life there.

Rosemary Jun 7th 2013 8:40 am

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary