Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello any advice on country to goto?

Hello any advice on country to goto?

Old Oct 9th 2012, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello any advice on country to goto?

Originally Posted by Tiggerbige
Hi thanks.
Yes we live in the country & the area is lovely but you only have to travel 5 miles to find a disappointing village, then another 5 to find another lovely 1. Our eldest has just started her second year at school & is already coming home doing MTV music dances to I'm sexy & I know it!! I'm not a prude but even so!! Its a lovely country school with few kids.
I'd like some warmer weather too.
Saudi Arabia?

Seriously, it's not going to be a big problem.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 11:47 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you mentioned New Zealand. Agree it is a lovely looking country, schools aren't that bad either and let the kids be kids, lovely to see the kids sitting in the trees just chatting to each other before school begins. BUT it is expensive to move here in the first instance and then expensive to live here , you have to qualify to live here also it's not somewhere you can just turn up and ask for a visa and expect to get one.

Maybe look on the Immigration Site and see if you can get a visa, that way you can add it to the list or knock it off completely. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/

good luck with where ever you decide to go
Old Oct 10th 2012, 7:42 am
Just Joined

Tiggerbige is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Saudi Arabia?

Seriously, it's not going to be a big problem.
Ha ha thanks!! Actually I lived in Saudi for a cpl of years when very small!! I don't think I'd pass as a submissive woman though!! Oh well....

On a more serious note its not a problem at the moment at all but definitely a sign of the times & possibly what's to come.

Last edited by Tiggerbige; Oct 10th 2012 at 7:45 am.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 7:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
you mentioned New Zealand. Agree it is a lovely looking country, schools aren't that bad either and let the kids be kids, lovely to see the kids sitting in the trees just chatting to each other before school begins. BUT it is expensive to move here in the first instance and then expensive to live here , you have to qualify to live here also it's not somewhere you can just turn up and ask for a visa and expect to get one.

Maybe look on the Immigration Site and see if you can get a visa, that way you can add it to the list or knock it off completely. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/

good luck with where ever you decide to go

Thank you, much appreciated.
We have looked t it in quite a lot of depth & I think we could get a visa based on experience & capability. But yeah the overall cost vs risk is something to consider plus hubby leaving behind family. Would hope to take my dad with me eventually.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Marmite70 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't forget Turkey, third fastest growing economy inworld, albeit it started from a low point. Weather good and seasonal but language is tough.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 10:59 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Would hope to take my dad with me eventually.
Hi, in addition to all the problems in France, mentioned on the France forum, taking elderly parents to a non-English-speaking country is not recommended at all. My father came to live with us when my mother died and he was very unhappy, in a French environment, knowing no French. Parents of other friends also returned to the UK for the same reason and those who remain are unhappy in retirement homes as their children are unable to cope with their various handicaps.... Sorry to be a wet-blanket, but I'm being realistic...
Old Oct 11th 2012, 7:47 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 11th 2012, 12:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks.
Yes we live in the country & the area is lovely but you only have to travel 5 miles to find a disappointing village, then another 5 to find another lovely 1. Our eldest has just started her second year at school & is already coming home doing MTV music dances to I'm sexy & I know it!! I'm not a prude but even so!! Its a lovely country school with few kids.
I'd like some warmer weather too.
OK, so warmer weather I get, but teenagers are teenagers wherever in the world they are, and MTV's reach is pretty much universal these days.

Moving to another country isn't going to stop your daughter from doing MTV music dances, and may cause more problems as uprooting teenage kids is notoriously difficult.

Have you decided on a country to aim for yet? If so, you could post in the relevant forum and ask about teens there, you might get some useful info.

Good luck.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Ha ha no that's the problem she's only 6!!!! Funny was only a tiny observation though not really the root problem. My eldest (6) is very impressionable & attaches herself to people easily, great as long as they're good kids. The youngest (3) will be fine anywhere in the world, she's very robust. I think I'm really heading towards New Zealand but not sure about the weather just yet, will post on that thread. The main worries as always are family & leaving them sooooo far behind. Thanks for all your help everyone.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 4:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha no that's the problem she's only 6!!!! Funny was only a tiny observation though not really the root problem. My eldest (6) is very impressionable & attaches herself to people easily, great as long as they're good kids. The youngest (3) will be fine anywhere in the world, she's very robust. I think I'm really heading towards New Zealand but not sure about the weather just yet, will post on that thread. The main worries as always are family & leaving them sooooo far behind. Thanks for all your help everyone.
6?!? Blimey, ok now I understand. Where on earth is she getting that from - presumably somebody else in her class, but who lets their 6 year old watch MTV?!

My daughter is 8, and she hasn't got any interest in pop music or anything like that, she's far too busy playing outside, with her Barbies, drawing etc - as it should be at that age imo! None of her classmates are older than their years either, although she did have a couple at her old school that were in to Hannah Montana and High School Musical (again, completely inappropriate for a 6/7 yr old imo), so I think it really just depends.

Good luck with NZ.

Old Oct 11th 2012, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Ha ha yeah I know. She doesn't have a clue what's she's singing but well you know.

Generally her school is lovely a real rural location but they do mix with all the age groups up to 10/11 ish with it being so small.

Just waiting for some info about nz, hoping it all looks good then will try to get to a seminar as close to NE as possible.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 9:56 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Tiggerbige;10325793]I think I'm really heading towards New Zealand but not sure about the weather just yet, will post on that thread. /QUOTE]

we have another weather warning this weekend. http://www.facebook.com/WREMOnz/posts/514190395276931

must say the winter has been awful here, housing stock is generally made up to stand up to earthquakes and not really fitted out to be warm or damp free like the UK.
Obviously that does depend on where about's you go and what type of house you get. Must say our rental house was awful, weeping windows, no heating at all which does seem to be par of the course so have to buy or rent heaters which are costly. Having bought our own house now we do now have heat pumps in most rooms, not in the main bed room which is a bit weird so still having to use heater in there and double glazing. The winds cannot be compared to the UK so much stronger but thinking living in a bay, near the sea, could be reason for that and not having lived near the sea before is a bit of a shock but if it is something you are used to you may not have the same fears of it as I do.
Saying that when it is sunny it is hot and not having the ozone layer here you really do need to be sun aware, kids have to wear hats to/at school now that it is coming into spring term and have sun lotion applied.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 10:28 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Kia Ora from New Zealand.

First. You don't move to New Zealand for the weather. If you live in the North of England you will probably find the weather better here in NZ. Mind you we have a severe weather warning for this weekend and have just enjoyed around 14 weekends of rain and wet weather out of 16. When the sun shines the place is beautiful but beware the sun. You won't be sunbathing as such around a swimming pool here. You will be covering up because of the burn time due to the thin ozone layer. That said, the outdoors life is to be had. Any of the outdoor activities you currently enjoy in the UK you will find here.
Kids are just as influenced here in NZ as they are in other parts of the world. NZ isn't in a time bubble .
It is remote though ,so seeing close family and friends back in the UK can be extremely problematic.
Lifestyle blocks are to be had here if that's your thing .
First things first though. You guys need to check out if you can actually emigrate to New Zealand first.

See you in the NZ forum.
Old Oct 13th 2012, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Bevs all the advice I've read from you is great thanks very much for all your enthusiasm & help to all.

I have looked into the visa requirements quite a lot & we do think we're eligible. My hubby's job appears to be on the skills shortage list & we also have a business at the moment so could get a business visa failing that. Don't really want to go down the owner manager route elsewhere as want more family time.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Graham - Puglia is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved to Puglia, southern Italy, a few years ago, setting up a business has taken a lot of patience, paperwork and queuing in offices is required often and is never quick. But the life is definitely old fashioned, school is very different but our daughter likes it better than her school in the UK. If you want to know more about life here just ask.

Good luck with your move

Graham