Reload this Page >

Hello all. Looking at moving to Canada

Hello all. Looking at moving to Canada

Old Jul 17th 2011, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Phil7872 will become famous soon enoughPhil7872 will become famous soon enough
Default Hello all. Looking at moving to Canada

Hi my name phil

I have been Reading posts for a wile looking at moving to Canada my dads step brother and family live overtheir my wife and two kids aswell
with all the other people going through this and people who have drone it on this forum I seams a great way of getting information and advice
cheers phil
Old Jul 17th 2011, 11:44 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello all

Hi Phil and welcome to B.E.

Should you need them, a list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries can be found here.

I think you've found the Canada forum here : but if not, follow the link.

Best of luck to you.

Alistair.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 3:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello all

Originally Posted by Phil7872
Hi my name phil

I have been Reading posts for a wile looking at moving to Canada my dads step brother and family live overtheir my wife and two kids aswell
with all the other people going through this and people who have drone it on this forum I seams a great way of getting information and advice
cheers phil
Hi Phil...welcome to BE.

What province are you interested in moving to? You've come to the right place for information about Canada...our forums are a wealth of information. I'll give you a few relevant links to help you find your feet around the forums.

If you click on this link it will direct you to the index page of the main Canada forum. At the top of the page you will see a list of sub forums...the top one being the Immigration Forum. Any questions relating specifically to the immigration process should be posted there. The main forum is for topics relating to Canada and the Maple Leaf is for general chatter. We have a lively group of posters...so you should get many helpful answers to your questions.

Please take a few moments to read any sticky threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of each forum's index page.

The BE Wiki is a great source of information...I recommend you take a read through the Canada section.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid is the concierge for the Canada forums...she will be act as your BE tour guides to help you find your way around.

For any other questions, problems or concerns please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa.

Please shout out should you require help with anything...there's usually someone around to help out.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Hello all. Looking at moving to Canada

Hopefully looking at B.C that's were my extended family are and I have spent time their but I'm engineering so were ever the best opitunity for work is that the main reason for the move thanks for the repalys sat Reading the wiki stuff last night till my eyes hurt good info found though
Old Jul 18th 2011, 2:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully looking at B.C that's were my extended family are and I have spent time their but I'm engineering so were ever the best opitunity for work is that the main reason for the move thanks for the repalys sat Reading the wiki stuff last night till my eyes hurt good info found though
BC is supposed to be a fabulous place to live. I haven't visited the province myself...hopefully one day I will.

Yeah there's loads of info in the Wiki and plenty of helpful people around the forums who live in BC.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

I loved the area just trying to work out wether to use an agent or not as my aplucation is a bit complicated my daught is actually a step daughter but her father hasn't been in touch for over 5 years and we don't no were he is also the English exam is a bit of a concern due to me being dyslexic and I seem to be covered work wise under noc 7216 but have been running my own company for past 6 years so proof they may need is unclear been trawling the forums and got some good advice but if any one has any would take it gladly
Old Jul 18th 2011, 2:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I loved the area just trying to work out wether to use an agent or not as my aplucation is a bit complicated my daught is actually a step daughter but her father hasn't been in touch for over 5 years and we don't no were he is also the English exam is a bit of a concern due to me being dyslexic and I seem to be covered work wise under noc 7216 but have been running my own company for past 6 years so proof they may need is unclear been trawling the forums and got some good advice but if any one has any would take it gladly
Your best bet is to post your questions in our Canada Immigration Forum...the people who post in there will be able to help you. Good luck.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

An advance welcome from the Southern Interior of BC!

Oggy
Old Jul 21st 2011, 7:04 am

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Phil and welcome to BE,

The English exam should not be a concern for you...it's very basic. I've been here for just over 40 years, but I only took citizenship after 38, and I can't even remember the exam it was such a non-issue. I'm asking you to trust me. You get by in this forum ok, so you can sit that exam without a problem. (You're trying to get into Canada...not Cambridge! ) As for the rest, I can't comment because things have changed a lot since I came over, but I hope you can at least put your mind at rest regarding that much.

As regards what part of Canada you might like to settle in, I came to Quebec when I was very young, lived there for many years, and look back on that time fondly, but because the political climate changed, I've no regrets in moving to Ontario. (And if you don't already speak French, Quebec poses a further difficulty).

With the exception of southern British Columbia (and I'm sure you would enjoy it there) all of English Canada –as well as Quebec– is every bit as cold as it is infamous for. Generally, your first winter is the worst, but after that one becomes more accustomed. Toronto is prosperous, but expensive. Alberta is economically sound and much closer to your extended family in BC. A mate left for Alberta 10 years ago, and often said he has a better standard of living there than he would on the same wages here...but many things factor into that: locale and line of employment to name but two.

With every good wish,
Christian
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christian
The English exam should not be a concern for you...it's very basic. I've been here for just over 40 years, but I only took citizenship after 38, and I can't even remember the exam it was such a non-issue.
Just to clarify Christian, the OP is talking about the IELTS exam he has to take for a Skilled Worker visa, it's nothing to do with an exam for citizenship. It's far from 'basic' and various forum members who are native English speakers have failed to get the marks required.

But there are various study guides that can be obtained, which apparently help a lot.

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 5:32 pm

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just to clarify Christian, the OP is talking about the IELTS exam he has to take for a Skilled Worker visa, it's nothing to do with an exam for citizenship. It's far from 'basic' and various forum members who are native English speakers have failed to get the marks required.

But there are various study guides that can be obtained, which apparently help a lot.

Thank you, I never knew one would be different from the other. I came over many years ago when the laws were very different, and so I never comment on current immigration matters because I know nothing of them. But I only took citizenship a couple of years back, and so I figure I'm still reasonably current on that one.

Thanks again for your post ...
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Agreed my daughter's exams took up several hours. She said the English exam would have been very difficult if English hadn't been your first language.