Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello All. I would like to move to warmer & better country help ...

Hello All. I would like to move to warmer & better country help ...

Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:48 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello All. I would like to move to warmer & better country help ...

Originally Posted by Michael Massey
I want out of crappy England.
Move to Wales then. Job done.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael Massey
Amelia, I not into the " I like you, you dont like me. I love you long time " cringe moment.

Spain is currently having its fair share of battering at the moment with high prices, unemployment and street protests. Also being bailed out doent seem like a healthy option. However, was there recently and I do like Barcelona.
What do you think the economic situation in LA is like?
Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:13 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

I would advise anyone, unless you go there via job relocation. to go and spend a serious amount of time in any country before moving there lock stock and barrel.

Try before you buy as they say !!

Dread - x
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

Michael Massey is just really niceMichael Massey is just really niceMichael Massey is just really niceMichael Massey is just really niceMichael Massey is just really niceMichael Massey is just really niceMichael Massey is just really niceMichael Massey is just really nice

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Think you have your head screwed on re Thailand. It's much easier when you have a Thai relative and our Concierge on there Nonthaburi can enlighten on that.

Your statement re Malaysia is a bit sweeping and needs a little bit of modification. It's a big big country with a great diversity of races and religions. Where I live in Penang, it is majority Chinese racially, the state government is the opposition party DAP which is majority Chinese, and Penang is majority Christian I believe - at least that's what it seems like to me with the number of churches everywhere.

Stay away?? Why? Is there something I don't know about.
Now that starts to look interesting you mention that and being also being Christian helps. :-)
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

Michael Massey is just really niceMichael Massey is just really niceMichael Massey is just really niceMichael Massey is just really niceMichael Massey is just really niceMichael Massey is just really niceMichael Massey is just really niceMichael Massey is just really nice

Originally Posted by tonrob
Move to Wales then. Job done.
Im trying to get out not make it worse.

(no offence to Mr Howard Marks by the way love the guy the 'phonics!)
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
What do you think the economic situation in LA is like?
No idea. But by reply I’m guessing not very good at the minute.

Would require obvious ground research.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
I would advise anyone, unless you go there via job relocation. to go and spend a serious amount of time in any country before moving there lock stock and barrel.

Try before you buy as they say !!

Dread - x
Yes of course. Couldnt agree with you more.

However, it doesn’t harm researching the various options.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 11:49 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean

Your statement re Malaysia is a bit sweeping and needs a little bit of modification. It's a big big country with a great diversity of races and religions. Where I live in Penang, it is majority Chinese racially, the state government is the opposition party DAP which is majority Chinese, and Penang is majority Christian I believe - at least that's what it seems like to me with the number of churches everywhere.

Stay away?? Why? Is there something I don't know about.
I'm in agreement with Bakedbean on the area. I certainly would not write off Penang in Malaysia based on perceived religious issues.

In the 90's and early 00's I spent a lot of time in Malaysia (Penang - Mainly staying in the Tanjong Bungah area), Thailand (Ao Nang, Krabi) and Singapore, as well as a number of other Asian countries.

Penang is very multicultural with a strong Chinese Malay, lesser Indian Malay, and Boomie (Boomiputra) Malay population, plus a reasonably sized ex-pat community. Whilst the mainland may have more Muslim influence (not anywhere near as radical an element as some Muslim countries I might add), the island is a completely different deal. Christian, Buddhism, Hinduism and Muslim(ism) all co-exists in a very multicultural island society.

There is a lot of money in Penang, mostly held by the Chinese Malay. As we know money talks, so it's not hard to see whom might have the most influence on the Island. There is also an international Airport on the island with many daily connections to KL, Singapore and Bangkok and Phuket to name but a few well known hubs.

If I was looking to move to Asia Penang would be high on my list, even it of was just to eat once more at the hawker stalls in Gurney Drive

It would surely tick all the OP's boxes.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

patex has a brilliant futurepatex has a brilliant futurepatex has a brilliant futurepatex has a brilliant futurepatex has a brilliant futurepatex has a brilliant futurepatex has a brilliant future

I'd advise looking first at where you can legally reside and work. Then identify which of those countries have the climate you want. (bear in mind that 35*C every day and 100% humidity can get very old, very fast). At the same time, narrow these down by language. Whilst you might get away with just English initially in Hong Kong, Paris or Brussels, there's other places that you NEED the local language to survive.

Next, you could identify if you want coast or landlocked, if you need cities or rural. All the time keep in mind that if you need employment abroad, you need to identify where there is a suitable job market before wasting your time identifying your dream location.

Many people find the "Teaching English as a Foreign Language" (TEFL) route a good initial route abroad. Usually you can obtain legal work/residence in civilised areas, surrounded by like-minded expats, with stable employment and a certain degree of support. South East Asia is particularly popular with sun seekers.

Last edited by patex; Mar 29th 2011 at 4:21 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:58 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds like good, sensible advice Patex
Old Apr 1st 2011, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

ameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to all

Originally Posted by patex
Many people find the "Teaching English as a Foreign Language" (TEFL) route a good initial route abroad.
You're correct, English is definitely a great asset, but I've often wondered if that's enough, surely you must back that up with other skills some time after you've taken advantage of this easy option (or as patex rightly put it "good initial route"), I doubt every single one of those who aim at teaching English abroad can make a living out of it, if they can, it's probably difficult to find a job because plenty of people apply.