Hello all!

Old Nov 7th 2009, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

Donna79 will become famous soon enoughDonna79 will become famous soon enough
Default Hello all!

I just joined this site yesterday after moving to Australia 3 months ago. I moved here because my boyfriend was successful in getting a job over here as he has always wanted to live in Oz. We live in a place called Holroyd which is near to Parramatta and close to Sydney in NSW. I'd never ever been to Australia before I moved here and it was a bit of a shock for me as it wasn't what I expected it to be like at all.

The truth is that I never really wanted to come here and almost didn't make the trip over. But, now that I am here I want to try and enjoy life and experience as much as I can. I am planning on staying here for no more than a few years though as it's just not what I want. It's not that it's a bad place (although it certainly is not what people make it out to be), it's just not for me. My dream has been for the last 15+ years to live in the US - I spent a year working over there 11 years ago and I loved every second of it. I know it will be difficult to get over there permanently, but I would also consider moving to Canada.

But for now I'm in sunny Oz and have found BE to see where other people have moved to and to hear about their experiences. Who knows, when I find a job here then I might enjoy it a bit more - at least I wouldn't feel as isolated as I do right now xxx
Old Nov 7th 2009, 8:44 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello all!

Hi Donna & welcome to BE
Hope you settle in well and if there are questions you need answering about life in Sydney or Oz, come over to the Barbie and ask. Australia is the busiest forum on BE, you'll not go un-noticed.....
Old Nov 7th 2009, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

kimandken will become famous soon enoughkimandken will become famous soon enough

Hi Donna,

Give it time, things change, sometimes for the better (hopefully) you will find out what you want and need. Most of my family are back in the UK and it is very hard but life does go on and grow(going back by the way over Xmas n new year)

all the best to you, and please give it time, things do change.

Kim x
Old Nov 8th 2009, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys, I know I've not been here long and hopefully with time and a job things will change for the better. I miss my mam in the UK more than anything as we are really close and even lived next door to each other! My niece was also born a month after I left, so I've not met her and probably wont get to see her until she is a toddler.

Skype is great when it doesn't crash or freeze! but like I read in someone else's post, it's no substitute for a hug.

I'd like to have more friends here, and hopefully may even make some through BE

Donna
Old Nov 8th 2009, 7:10 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Come over to the barbie, theres more drama there than corrie, eastenders & emmerdale put together
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:37 am
Banned

Anaborn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Donna!))
Old Nov 8th 2009, 12:35 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello and welcome!

It is hard being so far from home, my husband and I are Australian and have been away from home for 12 months now. It was reallly hard at first, especially before I got a job in the UK as I was still trying to live through my family and friends back home from the other side of the world. It will get better when you start meeting people and the homesickness does get better in time, I promise! I cried like a baby for weeks when I arrived in the UK.

Take care and try to give it a chance, the way I looked at it was that it was a once in a life time opportunity and that I would regret it if I didnt even give it a real go.

Good Luck! xxx
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aussie30
Hello and welcome!

It is hard being so far from home, my husband and I are Australian and have been away from home for 12 months now. It was reallly hard at first, especially before I got a job in the UK as I was still trying to live through my family and friends back home from the other side of the world. It will get better when you start meeting people and the homesickness does get better in time, I promise! I cried like a baby for weeks when I arrived in the UK.

Take care and try to give it a chance, the way I looked at it was that it was a once in a life time opportunity and that I would regret it if I didnt even give it a real go.

Good Luck! xxx
Thanks! I still cry now after 3 months! I'm sure my boyfriend is sick of me as this has always been his dream, just not mine. I really do hope things get better like people say because at the moment I don't think leaving my family was worth what I've been through. I'm desperately trying to find a job and get really frustrated when I want to apply for jobs, only to find out that they want Australian citizens only to apply. I'm sure something will crop up for me soon - hope so anyway, we need some more cash!

Thanks for everyone's support x
Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE Donna Maybe while you are waiting for a paid job, you could find out about some volunteer work? That could be a good way to make some friends and get you out of the house? Could also lead to a paid position too Good luck Sweety
Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Donna79
Thanks! I still cry now after 3 months! I'm sure my boyfriend is sick of me as this has always been his dream, just not mine. I really do hope things get better like people say because at the moment I don't think leaving my family was worth what I've been through. I'm desperately trying to find a job and get really frustrated when I want to apply for jobs, only to find out that they want Australian citizens only to apply. I'm sure something will crop up for me soon - hope so anyway, we need some more cash!

Thanks for everyone's support x
It will get better, I promise! Try to get out more, look around the shops, find some good restaurants, start cooking classes or yoga and just get out there. Good Luck! xxxx