Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello! Advice for common law please

Hello! Advice for common law please

Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

chorlton79 is just really nicechorlton79 is just really nicechorlton79 is just really nicechorlton79 is just really nicechorlton79 is just really nicechorlton79 is just really nicechorlton79 is just really nicechorlton79 is just really nice
Default Hello! Advice for common law please

Hi there,
I've been reading these threads for a while now, and can't tell you how useful this information has been!
I'm Canadian living in the UK and want to sponsor my common-law-partner. We've been living together for 18 months now and should have enough info to prove this.
The first question I wanted to ask is how long will getting my paperwork together take?
We have booked the doctors appointment for next week and about to get police checks done. What I think might take long is getting together supporting docs from friends and family.
I was hoping to get at least 15 separate letters confirming our relationship.
Is it ok to draft it for them and they can fill in dates, relationships, etc - or does will this look odd to immigration officers?
Also - how personal should they be? Can they just be the facts?

I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions for you lovely bunch, but that's it for now.

Looking forward to sharing my trials and tribulations with this group.

Thanks!
Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello! Advice for common law please

Originally Posted by chorlton79
Hi there,
I've been reading these threads for a while now, and can't tell you how useful this information has been!
I'm Canadian living in the UK and want to sponsor my common-law-partner. We've been living together for 18 months now and should have enough info to prove this.
The first question I wanted to ask is how long will getting my paperwork together take?
We have booked the doctors appointment for next week and about to get police checks done. What I think might take long is getting together supporting docs from friends and family.
I was hoping to get at least 15 separate letters confirming our relationship.
Is it ok to draft it for them and they can fill in dates, relationships, etc - or does will this look odd to immigration officers?
Also - how personal should they be? Can they just be the facts?

I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions for you lovely bunch, but that's it for now.

Looking forward to sharing my trials and tribulations with this group.

Thanks!

Hi there Chorlton...welcome to BE.

Although you have come to the right website for help I'm sorry I can't help you with your question...but if you could please repost them in the Canadian Immigration Forum..I'm sure you'll get some helpful replies.

If you click here here it will take you directly to the main index page of the Canada Forum. At the top you will see a list of sub forums...the first one is the Immigration Forum...please post all questions regarding the immigration process there. The general forum is for topics related to Canada and the Maple Leaf forum is for general chit chat. Before you begin to post please read through all the sticky threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of the forum's index page. Also take a look in the BE Wiki...you'll find loads of information in there.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid and The Aviator are concierges for the Canada forums...they will act as your tour guides and guide you around the forums.

For any other problems please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa

Please give me a shout if you need any help. Good luck.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

chorlton79 is just really nicechorlton79 is just really nicechorlton79 is just really nicechorlton79 is just really nicechorlton79 is just really nicechorlton79 is just really nicechorlton79 is just really nicechorlton79 is just really nice

Hi Jerseygirl
Thanks for the info - i've re-posted it the immigration forum.
Cheers!
Old Jan 26th 2011, 2:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chorlton79
Hi Jerseygirl
Thanks for the info - i've re-posted it the immigration forum.
Cheers!
Excellent.