Hello

Old Aug 26th 2013, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

paranoiadk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello

Hi,

I'm not British, nor am I an expat. Yet.
I joined in hopes of finding out more about the travails and the successes of moving somewhere.
I'm from the EU, so I'm guessing that the business around Visas shouldn't be that different.

Cheers,

Joshua
Old Aug 26th 2013, 9:31 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello

Originally Posted by paranoiadk
Hi,

I'm not British, nor am I an expat. Yet.
I joined in hopes of finding out more about the travails and the successes of moving somewhere.
I'm from the EU, so I'm guessing that the business around Visas shouldn't be that different.

Cheers,

Joshua
Hi Joshua and welcome to BE

What part of the world are you hoping to move to?
Old Aug 27th 2013, 7:11 am
Just Joined

In all honesty, I've always fancied moving to England. The countless hours spent in front of Cartoon Network made me fall in love with the language. I've always thought of the USA as a bit much.
Haven't really decided yet.
Maybe UK, The Netherlands or Australia. Depending on the economic situation (among other things).
I seem to be headed in the opposite direction as most people on this forum.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 7:17 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

In all honesty, I've always fancied moving to England. The countless hours spent in front of Cartoon Network made me fall in love with the language. I've always thought of the USA as a bit much.
Haven't really decided yet.
Maybe UK, The Netherlands or Australia. Depending on the economic situation (among other things).
I seem to be headed in the opposite direction as most people on this forum.
I think you'll find the majority of Cartoon Network shows would be American

As a member of the EU, migrating to the UK should be straight forward, but without a desired occupation, finding employment might be difficult. Do you have any qualifications that would help migration / job hunting?
Old Aug 27th 2013, 3:53 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 27th 2013, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I think you'll find the majority of Cartoon Network shows would be American

As a member of the EU, migrating to the UK should be straight forward, but without a desired occupation, finding employment might be difficult. Do you have any qualifications that would help migration / job hunting?
Yes, I know, but I was 5 (or something) at the time. Didn't quite catch the differences between the two languages. As I grew older I noticed that the shows and the announcements were not quite the same. Also we were taught British English in school, not American English. Come to think of it, I also took an English class in kindergarten. Love at first...sound, I guess.

I am a couple of exams (and a diploma) away from getting my bachelors degree in Mechanical engineering.
I am a bit worried, however, that this is a position that an English employer would rather fill with an English person. I hope I'm wrong.

I do have a question, would it make more sense to look for a job through EURES or a local employment agency (or both)?

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I'll be sure to get in touch if I'll need help.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 11:10 pm

Yes, I know, but I was 5 (or something) at the time. Didn't quite catch the differences between the two languages. As I grew older I noticed that the shows and the announcements were not quite the same. Also we were taught British English in school, not American English. Come to think of it, I also took an English class in kindergarten. Love at first...sound, I guess.

I am a couple of exams (and a diploma) away from getting my bachelors degree in Mechanical engineering.
I am a bit worried, however, that this is a position that an English employer would rather fill with an English person. I hope I'm wrong.

I do have a question, would it make more sense to look for a job through EURES or a local employment agency (or both)?

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I'll be sure to get in touch if I'll need help.
I think in your position I would concentrate on completing the degree first.

If your interest is in the UK, try asking about recruitment here - http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61

Other countries are likely to need visas, and experience.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I think in your position I would concentrate on completing the degree first.

If your interest is in the UK, try asking about recruitment here - http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61

Other countries are likely to need visas, and experience.
I have no intention of moving when I'm this close to a degree.
But the day I hang my degree on the wall will be the day I will start to actively pursue immigrating.
Thanks for your concern.

I'll look it up. Thanks!