Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hallo from Jane - Thinking about moving back to the UK

Hallo from Jane - Thinking about moving back to the UK

Old Oct 29th 2011, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Jane_says has a brilliant futureJane_says has a brilliant futureJane_says has a brilliant futureJane_says has a brilliant futureJane_says has a brilliant futureJane_says has a brilliant futureJane_says has a brilliant future
Default Hallo from Jane - Thinking about moving back to the UK

Hiya everyone, I'm new here and trying to sort myself out.

I've read the Forums and seen much good advice, so here's my situation.

I was born in Dorset (Christchurch) and my folks emigrated to Canada in the 60's.
Wound up in California for HS and College. Moved to the Pacific Northwest,
woz married to a Canadian for 17 years, now back in the NW.

I've visited home regularly over the last 30 years, sadly to see most of the old guard drop off.
I just hit 50, and the thought of retiring in the States is...
gosh. How to put it? Not a cheery one.

I think I need a plan to get back home, and settled, or at least in the Commonwealth.
So, this is me getting started and apologies in advance if I seem a moaner,
I'm actually quite fun-loving!

About me: 'typical' California Girl with the whole tall blonde thing.
Adventurous, Outdoorsy, Computers, Medicine background, and rather
clever (except when I'm gormless, which is more often than I like :)

looking forward to meeting some of you,
All the best, Jane

Nice cuppa anna sitdown.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 6:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hallo from Jane

Hello Jane...welcome aboard.

Many of us think about moving back home as we near retirement. It's a decision that we are struggling with too. The US is not the best place for retirees because of the healthcare/social services system. I suggest you take a look around the Moving Back To The UK Forum...you will find dozens of people who are in a similar position as yourself. We have a great crowd of very helpful members who post in those forums...so if you post any questions you may have regarding the move home I'm sure you get some helpful replies. Also take a look in the BE Wiki.

If you take a look down this list you will see the links to our Canada and US Forums. As you've lived in both countries you may want to join in with those forums.

We have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guides if you need help navigating your way through the many BE forums. You can find a list of our concierge's at the bottom right hand side of this forum's index page.

Any problems or concerns should be addressed to a moderator...you can find the mod's name at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index page. Moderators' names are in bold print and concierges' names are in standard print.

Please let me know if I can be of any further help. Good luck.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

sirscotsalot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hallo from Jane

Hi
I am also in your situation. Moving back next year(solo) which is daunting, but I have the support of my sister. I will move in with her while I get situated. She lives in Elgin, Scotland. An area which I love. I have so many thought going through my head. My daughter and grandson are also thinking of moving back. Once I am situated she will visit with my grandson and see what she thinks. She was born in Scotland but I moved to America when she was 3. With my job and the healthcare the way it is it is scarey to be in the usa, plus I have NEVER felt like the USA was my home and for years I said I would return. When I was back a month ago I ended up in the hospital and the doc said he would do my eye surgery for me. He was so nice( I have graves disease and it affects my eyes) he explained everything. I have paid quite a bit over here seeing eye doctors etc and they have never offered the surgery. In spite of that, as I said I have always wanted to move back. I know it isn't going to be easy and If my daughter and grandson don't move back I will be heartbroken but I feel its time for me to figure out the best plan for me at my stage in life. I feel like I am being selfish but I do need the eye surgery and frequent doctors visit and with my health insurance through work it is just not possible. Good luck with whatever decsion you make.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 3:05 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hallo from Jane - Thinking about moving back to the UK

Hi Jane,

Welcome to BE. I am so pleased you have joined our little community.

You are going to love our Moving back to the UK forum, everyone is so great at sharing info and experiences and I'm sure you will pick up a few tips and make some friends along the way.

If you get stuck on anything at all please don't hesitate to give myself, or one of our fabulous moderators a shout.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 4:20 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Love the Christchurch area, well the whole of Dorset really. Hope all goes well with your plans.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 30th 2011, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

Jane_says has a brilliant futureJane_says has a brilliant futureJane_says has a brilliant futureJane_says has a brilliant futureJane_says has a brilliant futureJane_says has a brilliant futureJane_says has a brilliant future

Thanks everyone!

It's just a huge thing to get my head around as a single person,
but I've done big moves on my own before.

One thing not in the wiki, perhaps someone could steer me?
I have a little plane, a very old Cessna 150. Anyone have experience
bringing a private Plane back to the UK?

cheers, Jane
Old Oct 30th 2011, 4:48 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jane_says
Thanks everyone!

It's just a huge thing to get my head around as a single person,
but I've done big moves on my own before.

One thing not in the wiki, perhaps someone could steer me?
I have a little plane, a very old Cessna 150. Anyone have experience
bringing a private Plane back to the UK?

cheers, Jane
Hi Jane,

No idea, but post the question in the Moving back forum and maybe someone will know.

Sue