British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Gulp (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/gulp-905513/)

AKP1 Nov 6th 2017 3:44 pm

Gulp

Hi, My name is Adrian and have recently fell in love with the dream of buying a place to do up in France after a spell with a friend who inherited two places in Angles Sur L'Anglin. It's a beautiful part of the world and didn't realise it wasn't far from another friend of mine who is currently living the dream in Vienne, not far from Romagne.
We did a bit of online searching and after viewing a few places on another trip, have set our sights on a barn with some land. The images have come thick and fast and some drawings have already been submitted and passed by current owners but now expired. What I had hoped to do was a bit different and is well over the 150m2 threshold so first snag regarding me doing most of the work, including the drawings, is already here. I will post about it in whichever forum is appropriate and look forward to reading about everyone else's experiences.

Rete Nov 7th 2017 2:39 pm

Re: Gulp

My apologies for not welcoming you to BE before now.

Lovely dream you have there. To help you out, please read and post in our France forum for your questions. France - British Expats

We also ask that you have a read of the site rules linked on the beige header above.

Good luck with obtaining your dreams.

AKP1 Nov 13th 2017 7:07 pm

Thanks...will do

dmu Nov 15th 2017 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by AKP1 (Post 12376075)
Hi, My name is Adrian and have recently fell in love with the dream of buying a place to do up in France after a spell with a friend who inherited two places in Angles Sur L'Anglin. It's a beautiful part of the world and didn't realise it wasn't far from another friend of mine who is currently living the dream in Vienne, not far from Romagne.
We did a bit of online searching and after viewing a few places on another trip, have set our sights on a barn with some land. The images have come thick and fast and some drawings have already been submitted and passed by current owners but now expired. What I had hoped to do was a bit different and is well over the 150m2 threshold so first snag regarding me doing most of the work, including the drawings, is already here. I will post about it in whichever forum is appropriate and look forward to reading about everyone else's experiences.

Hi and welcome to the forum!
You'd have to apply for planning permission from your Mairie to "do up" a barn which probably has the status of an agricultural building, and, if it's located in a protected area, you may not be allowed to alter the outside appearance.
When you post again in the France forum, give a few details, and some one more in the know will be able to advise.
You could also mention what your own status would be: retired, "inactif" pre-retiree, job-seeker, self-employed, salaried..., which would determine your compulsory healthcare insurance. Are you married or single, with or without children? this is important when buying property, schooling, etc.... Take a look in some of the pertinent threads in the Read-Me: Moving to France FAQs at the top of the France forum.
Look forward to seeing you there!:)