Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Going Home to England

Going Home to England

Old May 18th 2010, 4:01 am
Just Joined

diskj is just really nicediskj is just really nicediskj is just really nicediskj is just really nicediskj is just really nicediskj is just really nicediskj is just really nicediskj is just really nice
Smile Going Home to England

Hello All,

My name is Peter Worth. I have been living in Minnesota for nearly 11 years.

Living a stone throw from the Airport I used to go "Home" 2 or 3 times a year when the Fares were $400, now they are around a $1000 I rarely visit, not that I cant afford it, I don't like being ripped off.

Well at 50, I have decided I want to retire to the UK, I miss it badly.

The only concern I have is that I have not paid National Insurance since I left, I have been told we can pay to catch up on the "Half Stamp", does anyone know if that is correct?

I got caught in the Mortgage crash a few years ago and sold our house for a $67,000 loss, so don't have any big material things to sell first. I only want to rent when we get back and that seems reasonable in most areas.

Peter.
Old May 18th 2010, 4:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going Home to England

Hi there Peter.

I agree with you about the ever increasing cost of airfares...mostly due to the taxes and surcharges.

You are not alone with your decision to move back to the UK as retirement looms closer and closer. Take a look in our Moving Back To The UK forums...you will see loads of threads discussing this very subject. The the Over 50's and 60's thread may be of particular interest to you. Some of the things already discussed in this thread may be helpful to you...or you may want to ask some questions yourself.

Have you become an American citizen yet? Of not it's worth considering...just in case you can't settle back in the UK. It's best to keep all your options open IMO...you never know what the future may hold.

You may also be interested in taking a look at BE's US Forums. You'll find threads discussing serious topics as well as some not so serious...you will nearly always find the British sarcastic sense of humour creeping in somewhere down the line.

Please contact a mod or admin if you have any problems finding your way around our many forums...we will be pleased to help you.
Old May 18th 2010, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck to you, the UK is still a great country to live in (and the winters will be a great deal less harsh)

Before you move make sure you have taken into account things like the UK's 175bn pound deficit and the impact that is going to have on future cuts to public services, large increases in taxes etc etc; also the looming pensions crisis (which exists everywhere, but is especially bad in Europe). The age at which the state pension can be claimed is likely to go up considerably; this was happening anyway but the government is now broke which is making things worse.

Recovery is on the way but the road is likely to be bumpy thanks to cuts that have to be made and the woes of the Eurozone. Of course the USA has it's own set of problems which need to be factored into your decision. The good news is that the pound is getting crushed at the moment so your dollars will go a bit further.

Last edited by HumphreyC; May 18th 2010 at 9:31 am.
Old May 18th 2010, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

n0uk is just really nicen0uk is just really nicen0uk is just really nicen0uk is just really nicen0uk is just really nicen0uk is just really nicen0uk is just really nicen0uk is just really nice

Hi Peter.

Good luck ion your move back home - certainly agree with the comment about the better winters!

We must almost be neighbours. I'm in South Minneapolis, close to Minnehaha Falls.

Chris
Old May 18th 2010, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

penny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nice

Originally Posted by diskj
Hello All,

Living a stone throw from the Airport I used to go "Home" 2 or 3 times a year when the Fares were $400, now they are around a $1000 I rarely visit, not that I cant afford it, I don't like being ripped off.

The only concern I have is that I have not paid National Insurance since I left, I have been told we can pay to catch up on the "Half Stamp", does anyone know if that is correct?

I got caught in the Mortgage crash a few years ago and sold our house for a $67,000 loss, so don't have any big material things to sell first. I only want to rent when we get back and that seems reasonable in most areas.

Peter.
hi peter,
you can buy back all missed NI contributions if you like, I did with no problem.
If you have your Nat Ins Number (NIN) then contact HM Revenue and Customs and ask for an assessment on how much more you need to contribute to entitle you to a full UK Basic State pension.
Class 3 contribution costs went up April 2009 but its still a very good deal in my opinion.
You can find out all the info on line -just Google it -HMRC has a very comprehensive website.
Old May 20th 2010, 4:12 am
Just Joined

diskj is just really nicediskj is just really nicediskj is just really nicediskj is just really nicediskj is just really nicediskj is just really nicediskj is just really nicediskj is just really nice

Originally Posted by n0uk
Hi Peter.

Good luck ion your move back home - certainly agree with the comment about the better winters!

We must almost be neighbours. I'm in South Minneapolis, close to Minnehaha Falls.

Chris
Hello n0uk,

I Live in Highland park, so yes we are rather close, just a Ford plant in the Middle..
Old May 20th 2010, 10:27 am
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diskj
Hello All,

Peter.
Hi Peter.
I am in pretty much the same situation as you are. Except I have been here 20 years and not paid any NI contributions. I have the form to fill in, they can even trace your NI number for you if you don't have it. They said it may take 2-3 months. I just got the form in the mail yesterday.
I am 54 and don't want to retire in the US.
Good luck. Maybe we can all meet up in England when we are home.
Old May 20th 2010, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Peter, good luck on the move back, same here about NI, so thanks for asking that question and thanks for the replies, I am 58 been here 13 years and desperate to return, never been happy here.
I will look at those links and forms today, I am so happy I found this website, gives me great hope and comfort and to know I am not alone in it is reassuring.