Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Getting homesick

Getting homesick

Old Dec 15th 2013, 6:48 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting homesick

Some of us Yanks are not so bad either. My UK-born husband and I are looking to move back in the next couple years also. Hello from Texas!
Old Dec 16th 2013, 4:43 am
Account Closed

Ulsterman in Texas is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sorry you are feeling that way, I can't offer any advice either as I feel almost the opposite way, in that the thought of moving home full time fills me with dread as I feel I don't fit in over there anymore.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 2:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

As this forum is purely to welcome new members to BE I have moved some posts into a new thread in The Trailer Park Forum here...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=818047
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Judyuk2us is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Getting homesick

I too have lived here for some years, am married to a great husband, have a lovely home, a horse, dogs , friends ...lots of Brit friends too...but I am MISERABLE .. ! So homesick that it is physical feeling...and it seems to get worse as the years go by...have thought about going back, but my husband is American and we have 2 fabulous ( well they're his really, but I am very close to my stepchildren ) children who are grown and successful and love to be with us...so all the "bits" that everyone says you need to not be homesick...BUT I AM!
When I talk about going home, he's very open to the idea...he's retired military, so used to living abroad etc..but it seems so selfish of me to expect us to sell up here and move home...and then would he be homesick ? How about the step kids? Do I take my horse? Dogs no real issue, but everything else seems insurmountable ...maybe it's because it's Xmas and that is so different here for me compared to an English village Xmas..so hard to explain the feeling, but I found this site and thought it might help !!
Sad in Annapolis,MD
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 12:57 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Judy and welcome to the forum. You may wish to follow that thread that Jerseygirl has highlighted above. That will take you to the US section and I'm sure you'll enjoy chatting with others in the States in that section of the forum.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Judyuk2us is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you..I'm not very familiar with the chat forum thing....but will take your advice....
Old Dec 25th 2013, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Golden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lineabove
Hi Anna,

I an in a very similar situation as yourself.
Have lived in Canada most of my life and now looking at returning to England.
I am 59 and do not expect a job to come easy.

Have not set a date yet, but wish to "return" home next year.
Same here... But 53.. Been in Canada 24 years.. After some health issues with my Hubby, we feel it important to be nearer to family. Canada will never be 'home' On a daily basis we get.. "Love you accent' 'Where are you from?'.. "how long do you plan on staying here?"... from well meaning 'Canadians' ....you know the ones that were born here, with the 'right' accent... Doesn't matter that we've been here 24 years. we'll always be 'outsiders' and immigrants to most...

Just took a series of Illness's to finally work it out!!