Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Getting Aussie Kids British Passports

Getting Aussie Kids British Passports

Old Oct 13th 2017, 3:40 am
Just Joined

Brian1975 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting Aussie Kids British Passports

Hi, I was born in Oz by 2 £10 Poms in '75. We moved back to the UK the same year. I moved to Oz in '99 and married an Aussie and had 3 kids. My wife has since passed away and I am wanting to move back to the UK. I hold a valid Aussie and UK passport. Will my kids be able to get a British passport? I look forward to hearing from you all.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 12:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Aussie Kids British Passports

Good morning, Brian and welcome to BE

BE has a great source to answer your citizenship question for your children in the Moving Back to the UK forum. Here's the link: Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) - British Expats

Have a read of the site rules linked above on the beige header and ask your questions of these very knowledgeable people.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 2:31 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

As the second generation born overseas your children would not normally acquire British citizenship at birth. Presuming that they are all under 18 you have two options: registration or settlement visas.

As you spent more than three consecutive years in the UK before your children were born then they would be eligible for registration as British citizens now. The cost would be £973 per child. They would receive British citizenship by descent under S.3(2) and they would not be able to pass on their British citizenship to their own children either automatically or by registration if they were also born overseas.

The second option would be to apply for settlement visas first. As you are a British citizen and the other parent is deceased they will be granted Indefinite Leave to Enter (permanent residence). After three years of residing in the UK together they will become eligible for registration as British citizens under S.3(5). This would give them British citizenship otherwise than by descent meaning their children would be British citizens automatically regardless of where they were born. A settlement visa would cost AUD 2584 per child plus the registration fee in three years time.

The latter option is initially more expensive and time consuming but it could prove invaluable to any future grandchildren.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 2:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for that great information BIP. I'm hoping the Brian will post his question on the Moving Back to the UK forum and that you can repeat that response there since that is exactly the information so many are looking for now and will be looking for in the future. They wouldn't necessarily be looking in the Welcome Inn forum for it.