Hi Everyone!

Old Oct 13th 2017, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

MBurchill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi Everyone!

Hello all,
Just wanted to introduce myself - and look forward to hearing from everyone in the community here.

As for me, I've lived in the United States most of my life (I was brought here when my parents immigrated to the US in the late 60's), but have been going back to Northern Ireland, Ireland and the UK all my life to visit family. I was born in Glasgow, Scotland and I've always just felt "Home" when I've been in the UK. I guess I just relate to how my friends and family in the UK (as well as other parts of Europe) see and appreciate the world.

As I've got older, and as I've watched the United States become more polarized, nationalist and isolationist - I have begun to really feel I may want to return to the UK one day to live.

Wondering how others feel about this? I know many here moved to the U.S. as adults, but would love to also hear from those who were born in the UK but now live here because their family came to the U.S. when they were kids.

Thanks - and looking forward to hearing from you all.

Michael
Old Oct 14th 2017, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi Everyone!

Originally Posted by MBurchill
Hello all,
Just wanted to introduce myself - and look forward to hearing from everyone in the community here.

As for me, I've lived in the United States most of my life (I was brought here when my parents immigrated to the US in the late 60's), but have been going back to Northern Ireland, Ireland and the UK all my life to visit family. I was born in Glasgow, Scotland and I've always just felt "Home" when I've been in the UK. I guess I just relate to how my friends and family in the UK (as well as other parts of Europe) see and appreciate the world.

As I've got older, and as I've watched the United States become more polarized, nationalist and isolationist - I have begun to really feel I may want to return to the UK one day to live.

Wondering how others feel about this? I know many here moved to the U.S. as adults, but would love to also hear from those who were born in the UK but now live here because their family came to the U.S. when they were kids.

Thanks - and looking forward to hearing from you all.

Michael
Michael,

If you are planning to move back to Glasgow, you can have a look at houses rented out by Lowther Homes, a sister company of the local social landlord - Glasgow Housing Association.

Home - Lowther Homes - There's no better place

You will qualify for a free Scotland wide bus pass once you reach the age of 60. You are entitle to travel anywhere by bus in Scotland for free.

Concessions - SPT

It would be best for you to have a valid British passport. You can apply for one using the link below -

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Oct 14th 2017, 3:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi Everyone!

Hi and welcome to BE

The USA forums is heavily populated with Brits with a few other nationalities thrown in and several USC, such as myself, who were born in the US. Being that more than the majority have emigrated to the US via marriage or work visas rather than through dependents of Brits who immigrated to the US, I don't feel that those in that forum are an exact match to what you are looking for. Of course, they miss home and probably will always consider the UK or some other country their true home, they came to the US by choice.

Personally, I feel that The Moving Back to the UK forums hold the key to what you are looking for. Moving back to the UK - British Expats While they have returned to the UK, they often discuss their homesickness, sense of loss at being away from where they truly would like to be, etc. Why not give that forum a try.

All of BE is open to you as a member so please avail yourself of all forums for reading and participation. Before doing so, however, it is asked that you have a read of the site rules linked above on the beige header.

Again, Welcome

PS I see that you have found the MBTTUK forum ... good going.

Last edited by Rete; Oct 14th 2017 at 3:42 pm.