Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Georgia gurl crossing the pond for England

Georgia gurl crossing the pond for England

Old Nov 13th 2012, 6:24 am
Just Joined

livingthefray is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Georgia gurl crossing the pond for England

Hello, I have no idea where to go or what to ask first of where I should go first; the Welcome Inn seemed appropriate.

My partner is a Brit (baby's daddy as we say...long before the movies!) has been in the states for over 20 years. We are looking into heading to the UK. PLEASE HELP! I need direction, btw I am so gracious I found this site!! Thanks to admin.

I actually registered after a search brought this site as a result. Offering a thread regarding debt and was far from my request. Interesting enough- that could be a serious issue. Never knew debt could be an issue; his mindset was he could walk away and just be blackllisted here. After many years of struggle and we aren't talking major debt. Medical - mine, where I need to know about healthcare for myself (we aren't married) I have chronic pain - spine issues. HELP needed here!

He has brought the option to move abroad to the UK, his green card is up in Jan 2014. HELP needed here! My primary search I was seeking info on the state of the economy there. My partner believes that the biz climate is better, for business to business sales and available jobs seem to better over there then here in the states. We aren't fans of Obama. Is this true or his Mum's desperation to guarantee her son's return? .....may need therapy here. lol

We currently are in Atlanta, and I am the skeptic as well as the news hound and I am terrified that we might make the voyage only to live in what seems to be small flats and possibly a colder economic climate. We live larger here and it is a lot warmer in the southern states!

Any info - insight - hindsight - or advice would be more then welcome.

Cheers! (and thx for the time)

Last edited by livingthefray; Nov 13th 2012 at 6:38 am.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 6:28 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Georgia gurl crossing the pond for England

Welcome to BE.

think your best bet would be to talk to people that are moving back. dedicated forum is here.
Is your OH English so returning or are you both looking to emigrate over there?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61

they will have more insight as to the ins and outs of things
Old Nov 13th 2012, 7:17 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Livingthefray and warm welcome to the forum.

Mrs Fychan has given you some good advice. I'd take a look at the Moving Back forum and see if you can get some answers on there. There was another poster on here the other day and I think it may be difficult for you to move to Britain if you are not British, but check out the sub-forum anyway.

I am no economist but I thought that UK, Europe and the USA are all in mountains of debt and large unemployment figures.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Welcome to BE.

think your best bet would be to talk to people that are moving back. dedicated forum is here.
Is your OH English so returning or are you both looking to emigrate over there?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61

they will have more insight as to the ins and outs of things
Thanks for the reponse. Pardon me for not sharing my name - Sandra. Regarding my other half; I am not really sure but great question and timing. I just read about about the income minimums for bringing partners. All is up in the air, unless I say lets move forward.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:41 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi livingthefray,

Welcome to BE

We've got lots of members like yourself, who are moving back to the UK with their American/Australian/Canadian partners, so you will pick up lots of tips in our Moving back to the UK forum.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 4:30 am
Just Joined

Hi BB-
Thanks for the heads up.

Yes - I believe the Eu is indeed faltering and as far as the US - there is so much spin from economist to clairvoyants seeing red (as in negative). Our concern is the progressive/marxism/communistic lane that our new leader of the free country is heading in. It is scary. It takes less of an economist to realize the writing on the walls here. Too many unions astranomical pensions with full benefits; without more people paying into this structure our states are little bankrupt. They struggle with paying the state indigent/entitlement health care and the feds are sending IOUs which aren't paying the local municipality bills. With that said - our leader of hope and change desires to spread taxe hikes across the board totally depleting the middle class, creating an entitlement society; depending on the top 2% to spread their wealth just doesn't add up to a win. Seems we may be faltering to be like Greece, to sum it up.

I guess the struggle here is if we end up like Greece; there are internment camps set up for "collapse or riots." Our leader has trampled on our Constitution and can deem anyone a terrorist, and throw them into these camps. (Occupy Wallstreet protesters were sort of a trial run.)

Sorry to be so long winded but I do agree about the economic statement - I guess it is a hope that with England having a different reign; possibly it is the lesser of the two. IDK....

Cheers and hope all is better where you hang your hat!

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Hi Livingthefray and warm welcome to the forum.

Mrs Fychan has given you some good advice. I'd take a look at the Moving Back forum and see if you can get some answers on there. There was another poster on here the other day and I think it may be difficult for you to move to Britain if you are not British, but check out the sub-forum anyway.

I am no economist but I thought that UK, Europe and the USA are all in mountains of debt and large unemployment figures.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 3:07 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livingthefray
Hi BB-
Thanks for the heads up.

Yes - I believe the Eu is indeed faltering and as far as the US - there is so much spin from economist to clairvoyants seeing red (as in negative). Our concern is the progressive/marxism/communistic lane that our new leader of the free country is heading in. It is scary. It takes less of an economist to realize the writing on the walls here. Too many unions astranomical pensions with full benefits; without more people paying into this structure our states are little bankrupt. They struggle with paying the state indigent/entitlement health care and the feds are sending IOUs which aren't paying the local municipality bills. With that said - our leader of hope and change desires to spread taxe hikes across the board totally depleting the middle class, creating an entitlement society; depending on the top 2% to spread their wealth just doesn't add up to a win. Seems we may be faltering to be like Greece, to sum it up.

I guess the struggle here is if we end up like Greece; there are internment camps set up for "collapse or riots." Our leader has trampled on our Constitution and can deem anyone a terrorist, and throw them into these camps. (Occupy Wallstreet protesters were sort of a trial run.)

Sorry to be so long winded but I do agree about the economic statement - I guess it is a hope that with England having a different reign; possibly it is the lesser of the two. IDK....

Cheers and hope all is better where you hang your hat!
If you seriously believe Obama is a Marxist/communist, I think a couple of years outside the US may well be beneficial. Moving to the UK will give you the advantage free health care. Be sure to mention your early symptoms of Alzheimer's since you seem to have forgotten who signed the bills that removed our habeus corpus rights.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you must certainly get away from Obamacare and the entitelment society, by leaving your debts and going to a country with universal healthcare.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Unhappy Re: Georgia gurl crossing the pond for England

Originally Posted by fatbrit
If you seriously believe Obama is a Marxist/communist, I think a couple of years outside the US may well be beneficial. Moving to the UK will give you the advantage free health care. Be sure to mention your early symptoms of Alzheimer's since you seem to have forgotten who signed the bills that removed our habeus corpus rights.
Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes you must certainly get away from Obamacare and the entitelment society, by leaving your debts and going to a country with universal healthcare.
WOW! Thanks for your lifting words you took time to share. Thanks for your knowledge rather than voicing a partisan point of view with a slight flavor of distain. BRAVO! (oops, I thought I was in the Italian chat room, apologies.) Well DONE, CHEERS!

I personally don't desire to leave my debt behind nor did I say I would. When one takes fragments of a sentence usually is termed as to take my words out of context. I was offering a broad spectrum of my pros and cons as well as my "other half's" perceptions. Another thought was taken out of context -my statement of the avenue of where the US seemed to heading. I did not say it WAS nor it IS a marxist / communists society. If you are following the reallity of the scope of America's direction you should know an executive order was signed in by the past republican admin basically not litteraly creating the AMERICAN UNION. Lending a perseption of my feelings that I desire is not to be a subscriber of the current ideology of BOTH political parties. Over 25 states are attempting to seceding from the union. How the Constitution is written - this attempt will only turn out to be a way to express to our government that the people are not happy. The less educated people would riot or hold demonstrations displaying violence. I am well educated and understand our political systems; both the hidden agendas as well as the essence of what the polictical party/national gov't seems. Furthermore, the past couple of administrations have not been in the general population's best interest. IN REALTY they have been servants of corporatocracy which is now seemingly turning into an oligarchy.

PLEASE - if you can't offer a perception on pros and cons of my struggles to decide to go abroad; following my partner where after 25 years thinks it is best. This will then dissolve my hope our founding father's vision of our United States of America will remain in tact. Considering the president's past perfomance and current trajectory of printing money from thin air leading us into recession. Small biz such as ours will struggle severly looming the fundamentally radical platforms of the far left democratic ideology.

Finally, I WILL REITERATE - I need not be your verbal whipping post; again I have come here for experiences of others that have already taken the path to the UK from America. I will not read any further post inside "The Welcome Inn." Maybe the Administration needs to rename this forum. Your comments display - the size of your minds.

ETA- no time to check for grammar mistakes - I need to go foward in trying to make some life decisions for our 4 year old, my 21 year old, my 10 month old grandchild and my disabled mother.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Must have misunderstood "Never knew debt could be an issue; his mindset was he could walk away and just be blackllisted here."

Last edited by Sally Redux; Nov 14th 2012 at 6:38 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 6:40 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livingthefray
QUOTE=Sally Redux;10382592]Yes you must certainly get away from Obamacare and the entitelment society, by leaving your debts and going to a country with universal healthcare.
WOW! Thanks for your lifting words you took time to share. Thanks for your knowledge rather than voicing a partisan point of view with a slight flavor of distain. BRAVO! (oops, I thought I was in the Italian chat room, apologies.) Well DONE, CHEERS!

I personally don't desire to leave my debt behind nor did I say I would. When one takes fragments of a sentence usually is termed as to take my words out of context. I was offering a broad spectrum of my pros and cons as well as my "other half's" perceptions. Another thought was taken out of context -my statement of the avenue of where the US seemed to heading. I did not say it WAS nor it IS a marxist / communists society. If you are following the reallity of the scope of America's direction you should know an executive order was signed in by the past republican admin basically not litteraly creating the AMERICAN UNION. Lending a perseption of my feelings that I desire is not to be a subscriber of the current ideology of BOTH political parties. Over 25 states are attempting to seceding from the union. How the Constitution is written - this attempt will only turn out to be a way to express to our government that the people are not happy. The less educated people would riot or hold demonstrations displaying violence. I am well educated and understand our political systems; both the hidden agendas as well as the essence of what the polictical party/national gov't seems. Furthermore, the past couple of administrations have not been in the general population's best interest. IN REALTY they have been servants of corporatocracy which is now seemingly turning into an oligarchy.

PLEASE - if you can't offer a perception on pros and cons of my struggles to decide to go abroad; following my partner where after 25 years thinks it is best. This will then dissolve my hope our founding father's vision of our United States of America will remain in tact. Considering the president's past perfomance and current trajectory of printing money from thin air leading us into recession. Small biz such as ours will struggle severly looming the fundamentally radical platforms of the far left democratic ideology.

Finally, I WILL REITERATE - I need not be your verbal whipping post; again I have come here for experiences of others that have already taken the path to the UK from America. I will not read any further post inside "The Welcome Inn." Maybe the Administration needs to rename this forum. Your comments display - the size of your minds.

ETA- no time to check for grammar mistakes - I need to go foward in trying to make some life decisions for our 4 year old, my 21 year old, my 10 month old grandchild and my disabled mother.

From what you've written so far, I doubt you'll be happy outside the Bible Belt. It'll be good for you, though.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 1:28 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hey folks this is the "Welcome Inn" not the lets have a go at a new member" section