Go Back   British Expats / Introduction / The Welcome Inn

Closed Thread

Old Dec 14th 2010, 7:47 am   #16

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: (Fairly) New to Virginia Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahB5 View Post
Hi Nicci,

I'm glad you're settling in well now - I've just moved to Stafford VA and also finding the move a little overwhelming! no regrets - just missing the familiarities of England

Any advice would be welcome!

Re food - I've found PG tips and (proper) Cadburys at World Market stores which seem to be everywhere over here:

www.worldmarket.com

You can also order some groceries on Amazon - i've even found Christmas puddings on there! x
Welcome to the Forum Hannah, We have a excellent USA Section.

Bob and MsElui are the Moderators over there and Kaffy Mintcake is the Concierge, Should you get any issues give one of them a shout.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Dec 14th 2010 at 7:49 am.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 12:09 pm   #17
NicciT 
Forum Regular

NicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahB5 View Post
Hi Nicci,

I'm glad you're settling in well now - I've just moved to Stafford VA and also finding the move a little overwhelming! no regrets - just missing the familiarities of England

Any advice would be welcome!

Re food - I've found PG tips and (proper) Cadburys at World Market stores which seem to be everywhere over here:

www.worldmarket.com

You can also order some groceries on Amazon - i've even found Christmas puddings on there! x
Hi Hannah - welcome to the USA!

I'm now working so have managed to integrate a little but it really does take time as i still have my 'bad days' where i still feel like an outsider! My advice is to take a look on meetup.com as i met a lot of girls on there and that helped me to start to build my social life. I don't go to the meetups so often now but i feel better knowing that they're out there!

If you get really desperate for a taste of home and can make the trip - The Pub in Hampton is good. Its not completely like home but its close enough to provide a little comfort!

You don't mention if you're working so i'll assume you're not. If you decide to get a job that's also a good way of feeling more settled, I've found having that routine takes the edge off of the lonliness that you can sometimes feel being a foreigner! You're a little far for us to meetup but if you want to PM me feel free and I'm happy to be an online friend! Also when I wasn't working I made a point of joining the library as they have a lot of things available like book groups etc.

Don't worry, you'll settle in soon, i agree it is overwhelming and unbelievable how different things are here considering we all speak the same language! The main thing is to stay positive and to try and put yourself out there!

Good Luck!!!
Old Jan 21st 2011, 3:41 am   #18
virginia, USA

HannahB5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the great advice Nicci!
I am waiting on my work permit and will be working as a photographer, my new hubby and I do wedding and portrait photography so will meet people more once i can start working hopefully.

Will be sure to look up that website! thanks, great idea - i've joined the gym and a hiking club to meet people I really thought I wouldn't get homesick - it's surprising just how much of a change it is really!

Thanks again and good luck with everything - keep in touch xx
Old Jan 21st 2011, 12:35 pm   #19
NicciT 
Forum Regular

NicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really nice

I was exactly the same - I really didn't think I'd get home sick and especially not as quickly as I did and even now I can't believe how excited I get at the thought of having 'british fish and chips' or finding something/someone from back home!!! It does get easier and you do get used to things and I always think well if I was back home I'd just be missing Will instead (my husband) so there's always a downside!
Closed Thread

Go Back   British Expats / Introduction / The Welcome Inn