Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Eyup. Edinburgh -> Boston move in progress

Eyup. Edinburgh -> Boston move in progress

Old Mar 23rd 2011, 5:32 am
Just Joined

FlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really nice
Default Eyup. Edinburgh -> Boston move in progress

Hi folks,

I've been pointed in this 'ere general direction by someone on a forum elsewhere (Pistonheads if anyone knows it), as I'm currently going through the process of a work relocation from Edinburgh to Boston, MA (not Boston, Lincs )

We (my colleague is doing the same) are currently having an immigration lawyer go over our details, but everything looks good for a July transfer on an L1-B - I didn't start with the company until July last year, hence a few months delay.

Looks like a vast amount of information to plough through, and I look forward to posting my own queries when they come up. Apologies in advance if I ask something that is blindingly obvious and that I've missed elsewhere

Cheers
Graham
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eyup. Edinburgh -> Boston move in progress

Originally Posted by FlyingBadger
Hi folks,

I've been pointed in this 'ere general direction by someone on a forum elsewhere (Pistonheads if anyone knows it), as I'm currently going through the process of a work relocation from Edinburgh to Boston, MA (not Boston, Lincs )

We (my colleague is doing the same) are currently having an immigration lawyer go over our details, but everything looks good for a July transfer on an L1-B - I didn't start with the company until July last year, hence a few months delay.

Looks like a vast amount of information to plough through, and I look forward to posting my own queries when they come up. Apologies in advance if I ask something that is blindingly obvious and that I've missed elsewhere

Cheers
Graham
Hi Graham...welcome to BE.

We have quite a few members living in the Boston area...including Bob who is a mod for the US forums. They'll all chip in and give you tips and advice about the area.

Please take time to take a look in the BE Wiki...it's a great source for information.

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

Any problems or concerns should be addressed to a mod or admin. The mods for the US Immigration forums are Rete, Meauxna, Noorah101, Bob and MsElui.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 23rd 2011 at 11:12 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:29 am
Just Joined

FlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really nice

Thanks I've already got a couple of visa queries underway as it happens
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 12:39 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Graham,

Welcome to BE. I see you are finding your way around ok and I hope that you are enjoying being part of our little community.

We are very happy to have you on board, and don't forget to give us nudge if you have any site questions/concerns/suggestions etc.

Sue
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE!

I noticed you've found one of the Boston threads already, so kudos for searching them out

Quite a few people here live in Boston and the burbs, so should have a lot of info and there's a lot of meet up groups and the like around too
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Cheers folks Yeah, I'm a bit of a forum veteran (in general I mean, not BE)
Old Mar 25th 2011, 2:52 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Graham

Good to see you are finding your feet on the USA forum, and not afraid to ask questions. Keep at it, but don't forget to have some fun and banter on there too!!

Welcome to BE and good luck with your planned move

Dread - x
Old Feb 28th 2012, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Wow, was it that long ago

I've been in Boston for 5 weeks now - that wonderful immigration process we all know and love so much actually only took about 4 months. I had to wait until late summer last year to start it off as I came over under an L1 and hadn't been with the UK branch of the company for a year until August.

Pretty much settled now. Apart from one thing - need to find a doctor. That's proving fun and games, so I'm off to delve through some threads here.

Cheers guys
Old Feb 28th 2012, 6:41 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, was it that long ago

I've been in Boston for 5 weeks now - that wonderful immigration process we all know and love so much actually only took about 4 months. I had to wait until late summer last year to start it off as I came over under an L1 and hadn't been with the UK branch of the company for a year until August.

Pretty much settled now. Apart from one thing - need to find a doctor. That's proving fun and games, so I'm off to delve through some threads here.

Cheers guys
Missing Edinburgh yet?
Old Feb 28th 2012, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Yup, and my friends. But I'm enjoying exploring a new place too, so it's all good
Old Feb 28th 2012, 6:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Chances are the medical insurance will have a PCP/GP finder, bung in location and see which ones are taking on new patients and either google them for ratings as well as asking co-workers would be your best bet.

If you're in the burbs I can recommend a decent practice for the whole family, but if you're in down town, probably wouldn't want the hike.

And if you haven't checked the expat group on FB - https://www.facebook.com/groups/BostonBrits/ Good place to ask there too, as well as to get to events, monthly pub meet up as well as sporting meet ups etc.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 6:53 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, and my friends. But I'm enjoying exploring a new place too, so it's all good
I've been gone 13 years and still miss it and everyone
Old Feb 28th 2012, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Bob - I've got insurance through work and have signed up for that, it's just actually identifying the right kind of doctor - every list seems to have umpteen specialities rather than just GP equivalent.

I am downtown, yeah - Beacon Hill.

Ta for the FB link - will join up in a bit.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 7:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Thanks Bob - I've got insurance through work and have signed up for that, it's just actually identifying the right kind of doctor - every list seems to have umpteen specialities rather than just GP equivalent.
If you're on a HMO, then you need to find a GP, but they're called PCP here, Primary Care Physician.

If you're on a PPO plan, then you don't need to bother, but obviously it helps to have one before you need it.

Some practices have a "open" session where you can meet the doctors and have a chat while you sign up, rather than meeting them for the first time when you need them and have to pay a co-pay etc for it all.

What you want to check out is what hospital the doctor/practice is linked too, more important if you've got a family.

Boston Childrens is superb and obviously geared towards kids. Brigham Womans is also superb family hospital but geared towards woman...And then getting out to the burbs, Newton Wellesley is superb all round. There are plenty of others obviously, but only have experience of these places.

So if your doctor has relations with any of those, you'd be good to go as you'd not then need to go to any other site to get anything/everything checked out, which simplifies medical insurance issues. Parking is a cock at all three places btw, but NWH is the cheapest place to park at by a country mile, which doesn't say all that much
Old Feb 28th 2012, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

MGH is my closest (to my apartment), but, although they're accepting new patients, first appointments aren't until June (!). Apparently Beth Israel Hospital are taking now, though and, rather handily, there's an office on the 2nd floor of my office building

Last edited by FlyingBadger; Feb 28th 2012 at 7:41 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.